Votes: 9 18.4%
  • i dont care

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen Jung

Reaction score
... the Kernel is listed as BSD but I can assure you it is UNIX ...

This is quoted from a README file from the Android Git repository at git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git:
Code:
	Linux kernel release 2.6.xx <http://kernel.org/>

These are the release notes for Linux version 2.6.  Read them carefully,
as they tell you what this is all about, explain how to install the
kernel, and what to do if something goes wrong.

What on earth could a file like that be doing amongst the "UNIX kernel" source code... unless it's not actually UNIX... nah, that's crazy talk :p

I hope you can understand my reluctance to believe your as-yet-unnamed sources over the files in the actual code repository.

If you want more proof than just a README, checkout git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git and have a look for yourself - it's Linux through and through.

And here's an image from the horse's mouth (notice the part at the bottom that says "Linux Kernel"): http://developer.android.com/images/system-architecture.jpg

Actually Android is a Unix Platform ... they are certified UNIX

I think it's certainly possible (although improbable) that Android is a certified UNIX platform, but I see nothing that supports this theory.

Why improbable? Because Android uses the Linux kernel, which AFAIK is not 100% compliant with the Single UNIX Specification. Why would Google go to the trouble of making their [modified?] version of the Linux kernel SUS-compliant?

... And for reference Wiki is not a valid source.
Maybe as an editor I'm biased, but I find that the information on Wikipedia is usually reliable. This is just a forum after all :)

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
I think that Xubuntu rulez more than all other distros because it is extremly practical and useful. It is amazingly reliable you should try it

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
Windows...been using it for a long long time. Mac though is still pretty good, but I haven't used it long enough.

rrw131362

Reaction score
what os do you like best i think mac is the best
Depends on what I'm doing.

As gamer I'd have to say Windows just for the fact that most games easily run on it.

As a geek I'd say Linux, simply due to the endless ways I can customize it.

insideub47

Reaction score
OpenSUSE

I like OpenSUSE best. I have used Windows for a long while, and the same thing with mac, but the only OS i never get tired of is OpenSUSE.

ante.allah.fjante51

Reaction score
I would personally choose linux, I grew up with mac and windows (My first computer was a mac+)
But I just don't like mac, and well... windows just isn't what I need.

Because it is riddled with bugs, I could overlook this.
It is ugly, I could overlook this as well.
It is overpriced and overrated, could be overlooked....

but, it stops you from doing stupid things!, and thus it stops you from doing clever things, for example... rewriting the kernel to utilize kernel modules (like a *nix system would allow you too) then you would have the ability to greatly increase the capabilities of the operative system, or maybe do some experimenting and thus changing the way the operative system works, a *nix system wouldn't mind, but windows doesn't allow stupid things

and then of course we have the issue of it being 'user friendly', yes. I admit, it is user friendly... to a point, but after that point it becomes a hassle to work with, since it stops you from doing stupid things... you cannot really do everything one would want to do.

and well, those are my views ^.^*
if you disagree I would love to hear your oppinion on the question, and please do specify instead of just using a one line post like
Windows Vista or die

I do respect your oppinion and your right to have it, but I would also enjoy an explanation for it, and otherwise it wouldn't be anything but a childish discussion going like this
user 1: vista ftw
user 2: no mac rules!1one!1!
user 1: n0 17 d03sn't
user 2: yes it does!
*10 pages later*
user 1: you suck
user 2: NO! you suck! and mac still rules
admin: **wields the banhammer and smites user 1 and user 2 in two swift swings**
user 3: lolwhut?
admin **nervous breakdown, swings banhammer at everything that moves**
forum gone to hell......

Status
Not open for further replies.