Possible Layout

joshuakrull64

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in the process of creating a layout for my site to use in my portfolio and would like some feedback. The layout is based on the 960 grid system.

I would also like some ideas on how I should design the header links, I do not really want to just add text links with no real style.

Anyhow here is a image as the layout is still in photoshop stage. Sorry for the watermarks, don't want someone ripping me off...

960_grid_12_col.jpg

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not bad at all.

Short of flyaway arrows, plain blue underlined text on a white background or the words "click here", it's not easy to make a link clear. My suggestion would be to make the entire ribbon (not just the text) do something on mouseover to increase discoverability. (Here, I'm assuming that the words "Web Design" are just placeholders for the real headers, which are going to be styled text rather than graphics.) That would mean setting the link to display: block; and forcing it to fill the "front" of the ribbon -- you'd change both the background gradient and the text styling on hover.

Unfortunately, though, users are users -- some of them are going to need to be led by the hand. A small subsidiary link at the bottom of each cartouche with a "learn more" message will probably be necessary to get actual clicks happening in a lot of cases. I'd almost suggest doing that instead of the header links, except that a lot of people have gotten used to the idea that the headlines for microblurbs ought to be links, so to satisfy users of all experience levels, you'll probably have to do both.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

joshuakrull64

Reaction score
So you are saying this is a template I just edited? Or are you saying I copied someone else design? I don't understand? A ribbon on a box is something that isn't new... Granted it is over played, but I got annoyed trying to think of a new and exciting way...