PS3 Or XBOX 360

Zangetsu

Reaction score

im dead right there will be ps2 backwards compatibility for the 40gb ps3

'The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on October 10, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semiconductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone."

there will be software emulation for the ps3 40gb model and even if sony decides to totaly remove the backwards compatibility hackers will may still be able to figure out how to get the backwards compatibility to the consoles

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
im dead right there will be ps2 backwards compatibility for the 40gb ps3

'The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on October 10, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semiconductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone."

there will be software emulation for the ps3 40gb model and even if sony decides to totaly remove the backwards compatibility hackers will may still be able to figure out how to get the backwards compatibility to the consoles

You realize that it still won't get it? The 40gb version does not have PS2 backwards compatibility. It's that simple.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
xbox 360. More and better games. More "exclusive" games (halo 3, Gears of war etc.).

Good network play (sure, it costs but it is worth it).

+ Windows media center is built in

neonknight77

Reaction score
I am going to say Xbox 360 on this one. Many people argue that PS3 is better because it has WiFi built in, has a web browser, and a blue ray player.
Sure, it has a blue ray player, but will anyone buy blue ray movies at $30 ea? (My brother has about 50 of em :p) With WiFi, sure you can play, but that will most like lag you with 32 players or more. I am also saying Xbox 360 because of the games, if you are a big fan of Halo3, then you will like that. Many people disagree of Xbox 360 because it has RROD, but when was the last time someone got that?

Just my opinion, also the prices of the normal package of Xbox 360 will be dropping down, so I'd recommend getting it.

Have fun,
And good luck with whatever choice you choose,
TOM

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The only reason Wi-Fi would lag is if you are hosting games, in which case you'd either have a crappy connection, OR your wireless absolutely sucks and blows big time. Even our old Friend, Wireless B can still handle that many players!

Last edited:

randombum

Reaction score
PS3 does not have as much potential as the 360. The only reason why you say it's hard to mess around with the 360 is because you enjoy the custom os install offered for the ps3, for me that just sony saying, oh we know you think this console sucks, so we will allow you to install a custom operating system that is surely free and or better than ours.

The 360 has an excellent GUI and it's pretty well rounded. The two systems are pretty even in graphics, but the speed of the 360 is much noticeably faster than the ps3, not to mention the online community and store for the 360 are more organized, lively and fun compared to the ps3.

I really think 360 is the best because PS3 focuses only on games, and good graphics where 360 is an all around system, not focusing only on games and graphics, but also speed, community friends and many other things. And that's the part that I enjoy about gaming.

I'm not sure if that was a response to my post, but it seemed like it. I just want to point out that I said it's hard to mess around with the PS3, not the 360. The 360 architecture is a lot easier to deal with for developers. I believe one of the reasons the 360 is faster is because it does not have to rely on a slower Blu-Ray reader. It increases load times, and as such the Blu-ray discs may actually contain redundant data to speed data access.

And when I say potential, I'm saying that with regard to the PS3's cell processor, which is quite powerful. If the cell processor could be taken advantage of at its fullest, we can see a lot of improvement in the future.

That said, it's still fun playing Halo 3 on the Xbox. :D

If that post was not a response to mine, then just kind of ignore this post, as it's really just a bit of clarification on the matter.

EDIT: This is just a small excerpt pulled from AnandTech:

Architecting a game engine around Cell and optimizing for SPE acceleration will take more effort than developing for the Xbox 360 or PC, but it can be done. The question then becomes, will developers do it?

Last edited:

alisonandre

Reaction score
I'll always take ps3 over Xbox but mainly because i'll follow the Final Fantasy series wherever it goes. how is the online gaming for ps3? it's great because it is free but is it as easy to setup and play as Xbox Live?

shadowlusterx

Reaction score
More or less everyone should agree that they're both good consoles.
Getting a PS3 at the moment isn't a good idea, unless you're dedicated like me, since you'll waste too much money to wait around for a while. But if you really like the games at the moment and the money isn't too much then get it. Otherwise get a 360 and get a PS3 a couple years from now when the price drops.

skai123

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you guys too. The Wii may look appealing but after having it a while the fun dies out. I really got bored of it after 3 months with it. The only good things in it are the somewhat highly restrictive online community and SSBB.

I like the XBOX360 more because it has a better GUI in general, and it's more user friendly then PS3, the GUI is also more unique because the GUI they use for PS3 is derived off of the PSP. I also think the 360 has a better look then PS3, because the PS3 is so awkward shapes it doesn't fit where you want it to.

360 wins!

How is the 360 more user friendly than PS3?

PS3 uses the same as the PSP gui, XMB (Cross Media Bar), also used in sony bravia tvs. It is good to use same gui on products from the same company (more user friendly), you dont want to have 10 different gui for 10 products, do you now?

XMB is clean, simple, and you know where everything is, video at video icon, music at music icon, settings at setting icon etc etc...

XGI Admin

Reaction score
yeah, ps3 is the way to go. It is extremely more user friendly then the 360 especially when HOME comes out.

Clinton

Reaction score
I am going to say Xbox 360 on this one. Many people argue that PS3 is better because it has WiFi built in, has a web browser, and a blue ray player.
Sure, it has a blue ray player, but will anyone buy blue ray movies at $30 ea? (My brother has about 50 of em :p) With WiFi, sure you can play, but that will most like lag you with 32 players or more. I am also saying Xbox 360 because of the games, if you are a big fan of Halo3, then you will like that. Many people disagree of Xbox 360 because it has RROD, but when was the last time someone got that?

Just my opinion, also the prices of the normal package of Xbox 360 will be dropping down, so I'd recommend getting it.

Have fun,
And good luck with whatever choice you choose,
TOM
How are you commenting about lag if you haven't played these 32 + player games? :|

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Got my PS3 today. walmart $100 off so I got it for $299 but then I could of gotten the MGS4 bundle but I didn't have enough cash

kkenny

Reaction score
How is the 360 more user friendly than PS3?

PS3 uses the same as the PSP gui, XMB (Cross Media Bar), also used in sony bravia tvs. It is good to use same gui on products from the same company (more user friendly), you dont want to have 10 different gui for 10 products, do you now?

XMB is clean, simple, and you know where everything is, video at video icon, music at music icon, settings at setting icon etc etc...

Exactly my point. I wouldn't have modded my PSP if I didn't like the interface. PS3 interface is derived from the PSP interface, so PSP hackers like I do not like the PS3 gui.

Matdragon

Reaction score
yes, all the coment are true, because at the moment you cant buy an independant blue-ray player for less than you can buy a PS3! so you may as well get the PS3! i have one, and it differs completely to the first response, their are Hundreds of online players ... all day and all night! PS3 all the way! ;)

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yes, all the coment are true, because at the moment you cant buy an independant blue-ray player for less than you can buy a PS3! so you may as well get the PS3! i have one, and it differs completely to the first response, their are Hundreds of online players ... all day and all night! PS3 all the way! ;)

Really, only hundreds?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
If you plan on getting the 360, I suggest you wait a little while, as rumors are going around of another price drop since many people already own a 360 and sales are going down