*Cheaper

The PS3:
*Fantastic graphics
*Simple controller
*Also good UI
*Low Selection of games (changing)
*Full HD (1080)
*DVD/Blu-ray player
*More expensive (still cheap in comparison to blu-ray players)

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What exactly do movies have to do with a enjoying a PS3 as a gaming console? :| That whole thing about not having game and it's a good blu-ray player is tired and irrelevant at this point. Especially considering the current and future PS3 lineup this year.

Movies are the only way the PS3 can actually be a justified purchase in a lot of peoples eyes. That's why it's always included in these arguments. It's all the PS3 has against the 360.

They both have their pros and cons..

The XBOX 360:
*great UI
*Good Selection of games
*Weird controller but easy to get used to
*Not full HD (576)
*DVD/HD-DVD(died out) player
*Cheaper

The PS3:
*Fantastic graphics
*Simple controller
*Also good UI
*Low Selection of games (changing)
*Full HD (1080)
*DVD/Blu-ray player
*More expensive (still cheap in comparison to blu-ray players)

I covered graphics in this post. I stated most games look the same or better on the 360, which is fact.

The whole HD argument is a lie. Both are capable of 1080p.

"Weird controller"? It's best controller this gen.

I don't know where most of the people posting in this thread get there information but it's mostly heresy and down right wrong information.

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
PS3 FTW. No ring of death and much better games coming out. Except it can't play PS2 games anymore for the 40GB version.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
if you cant choose GET both its as simple as that just save up untill you have between 1500-2000 and get a full HD tv with a 360 + PS3, and i know im going to get some comments like: why save up ? when the 360 is better.
A. i dont care which is better it all comes down to the same point and thats entertainment.
B. full HD tv's are getting cheaper by the month, if you wanna play you dont have to play them on a 50, 60 ,70" tv cuz A. they are to big B. to pricey, 30- 40 inch is good enough (40-1039,00, 30-845,99 cheapest here)
Edit:
PS3 FTW. No ring of death and much better games coming out. Except it can't play PS2 games anymore for the 40GB version.

wrong. you can play ps2 games on a ps3 but is sucks becoase of the fact that its software emulated and NOT hardware emulated

Last edited:

ov3rcl0ck

Reaction score
The Xbox360 has more games, more users(online), and it has controller vibration(not a big deal). The PS3 has better graphics, better hardware, easy soft-mod, it allows you to install a guest OS(supports many linux flavors), but lacks games and online play. I go for Xbox 360, but I prefer the WII! Even thought the Wii doesn't have good graphics or many violent games, but ITS FUN and thats what gaming is all about, not the graphics, not the controls, not the online play, the fun is what its all about, thats why people still play old school games.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
The Xbox360 has more games, more users(online), and it has controller vibration(not a big deal). The PS3 has better graphics, better hardware, easy soft-mod, it allows you to install a guest OS(supports many linux flavors), but lacks games and online play. I go for Xbox 360, but I prefer the WII! Even thought the Wii doesn't have good graphics or many violent games, but ITS FUN and thats what gaming is all about, not the graphics, not the controls, not the online play, the fun is what its all about, thats why people still play old school games.

Thats so true - but the only reason i'd get the 360 is because its cheap. Arcade version you can get for just £120!

Anyway there is barely any difference with High-Definition and BluRay. BluRay is infact a slightly better version of HD - but its a real let down (and it put me off) in Toys R Us the other day there was GranTourismo 4 on PS3 on a Sony Viera 1080i telly. And the graphics were absiloutly CRAP. Square heads, flickering pixels and the floor was well - uuuh.

Yeah it wasnt anything to do with the telly cause it was the same in woolworths.

Also the HDMI cable comes free with the 360

+rep for a great post

Nathan H

Reaction score
Definaty th 360, thosewho say the ps3 has better graphics are wrong. he chip is outdated, GTA4 is a good example PS3 renders at 630p x360 renders at 720. Xbox live is full of userts and the games are usually cheaper and easier to get a hold of. Also its really cheap an arcade is just as much as a wii and if you go second hand you could get a premium for less.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Definaty th 360, thosewho say the ps3 has better graphics are wrong. he chip is outdated, GTA4 is a good example PS3 renders at 630p x360 renders at 720. Xbox live is full of userts and the games are usually cheaper and easier to get a hold of. Also its really cheap an arcade is just as much as a wii and if you go second hand you could get a premium for less.

XBOX supports 1080p aswell which is actually better than BluRay

300 = Worthless
630 = Crap
720 = OK
1080i = Good
1080p = Fantastic!

Also 1080 means it has 1080 lines of resolution - but the difference between the i's and the p's is just the way its displayed.

BluRay on the other hand is a fixed resolution.

Evocation

Reaction score
This thread is full of wrong fanboy facts now that haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This thread is full of wrong fanboy facts now that haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

How about instead of trolling you actually post useful information that supports your position. Otherwise you have contributed absolutely nothing to the topic.

On topic there are tons of inaccuracies in this thread, especially coming from the people who blindly support the PS3. Other things are small inaccuracies that are just misinformation probably heard from someone who has no real knowledge of the information said.

It breaks down like this:

Graphics: Most of the PS3 supporters in this thread say the PS3 has "better graphics". There are some instances where this is true, but the bulk of games that are multiplatform have better graphics on the 360. This is not an opinion, this is fact.

Along these lines both the PS3 and 360 support every (480i to 1080p) HD resolution and both have HDMI support.

Online: Xbox Live is $50 a year and PS3 Network is free. You get what you pay for. Xbox Live is significantly better in every way possible.

Media: Playstation 3 has a Blu-Ray drive. That's a huge plus for movie fans, but in terms of gaming it has yet to be utilized. Most games don't even fill up a DVD disc let alone a 25 or 50 gig disc. The only instance of a 25 gig being filled was from Heavenly Sword, a six hour game. So it's possible to fill up a whole disc with out compressing the audio of 10 different languages. Other than that it's not even being utilized.

Along those lines is the online media content. Xbox 360 has literally thousands of movies and tv shows, most in HD available for purchase on Xbox Live. PS3 has yet to even match 360's marketplace.

Red Ring of Death: This one is a funny one because every new 360 on the store shelves have this problem resolved. Not only that but Microsoft fixes the consoles for no charge if they do get the RRoD. They took a billion dollar hit to make give consumers a free repair.

Controllers: Saying one is better than the other one is just an opinion. It all really up to the individual.

I personally find the 360 to be the better controller for the games I like, but the PS3 controller is nice for certain types of games, mainly fighters.

Anyway, I'm really tired of sounding like a broken record so I'm going to stop here. This is just a "for the record" post.

Clinton

Reaction score
Without any concrete survey there's no way anyone is convincing me that one group of people are purchasing a console for movies. That's just crazy.

Like someone mentioned, there are little facts in this thread. The "graphic and performance" difference between the consoles are so negligible. Being an owner of both consoles I can testify to that. People can purchase either console with confidence and ignore some of the popular internet myths.

Last edited:

randombum

Reaction score
I believe the PS3 has more potential than the XBox 360. It's just that for game developers, it's a pain in the butt to mess with the PS3's architecture (the SPUs, etc), and so the 360 is more preferable for them. I've attended a seminar with some developers from Insomniac Games and they mentioned that a majority of the 360's power can be harnessed immediately. For the PS3 they had to keep trying with the PS3 to get it to run at about 40% of its potential. Given that the games are pretty much on par with the 360 versions, I'd say that the PS3 has a lot of room to grow.

kkenny

Reaction score
PS3 does not have as much potential as the 360. The only reason why you say it's hard to mess around with the 360 is because you enjoy the custom os install offered for the ps3, for me that just sony saying, oh we know you think this console sucks, so we will allow you to install a custom operating system that is surely free and or better than ours.

The 360 has an excellent GUI and it's pretty well rounded. The two systems are pretty even in graphics, but the speed of the 360 is much noticeably faster than the ps3, not to mention the online community and store for the 360 are more organized, lively and fun compared to the ps3.

I really think 360 is the best because PS3 focuses only on games, and good graphics where 360 is an all around system, not focusing only on games and graphics, but also speed, community friends and many other things. And that's the part that I enjoy about gaming.

kyuusei

Reaction score
PS3. You know why?

Xbox 360/Microsoft Live = Money per month to play online.
PS3 = Buy the game, play online as much as you want.

As a PC gamer, I have no clue how Microsoft managed to convince so many people that paying per month for a service that should be free is a good idea.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PS3. You know why?

Xbox 360/Microsoft Live = Money per month to play online.
PS3 = Buy the game, play online as much as you want.

As a PC gamer, I have no clue how Microsoft managed to convince so many people that paying per month for a service that should be free is a good idea.

Because PS3's online is crap in comparison. $50 a year for quality isn't bad.

Clinton

Reaction score
Crap uh? :| I'm using it just about everynight. It's far from crap. In fact online play is up to par if not better in some cases. I canned my Gold account simply because I can't justify paying for minor perks when online play should be free.