[REQ][500] FOr another comment box (You'll see why below)

Wizet

Reaction score
Well this time I needed another comment box because a few later the comment box that xPlozion gave me was not the one I needed. You see xPlozions comment box was based entirely on the MySQL which gave it the same comments on all of the page that I gave the php script to. But this time I am looking for a comment box that still depends on MySQL but must be different for each page that it is placed on.

freecrm

Reaction score
Well this time I needed another comment box because a few later the comment box that xPlozion gave me was not the one I needed. You see xPlozions comment box was based entirely on the MySQL which gave it the same comments on all of the page that I gave the php script to. But this time I am looking for a comment box that still depends on MySQL but must be different for each page that it is placed on.

Not quite sure what you are asking here...

Could you let us know what was in XPlozion's comment box?

What do you mean by "gave it the same comments on all of tha page that I gave the php script to"

If you want a comment insert script, the script will be the same but looking at your last note, you might be looking for a different way for it to be echo'd on each different page...

Could you please clarify?

Wizet

Reaction score
Well in xPlozion's script the script would duplicate the comments on different pages because they were linked to one database.

javajenius

Reaction score
I dont know if you will find a mysql powered comment box that works on different pages, but here is the next best thing:

http://grestul.com/

It works with mysql, but unfortunately if you want to create more then one comment box, your going to have to install the comment box again(using up 1 mysql database for each one)

I dont understand why you cant just use a simple flat-file based comment box, but oh well.

By the way, the next version of grestul supports multiple comment boxes on one mysql database. I'm sure you can ask for an early release on their forums.

freecrm

Reaction score
OK - this is weird and getting more confusing...

Do you

a) want one type of comment insert script that works on various pages.

b) want different types of comment insert script that works on various pages but enters the data to the same DB

c) want the results from the comments to show differently on different pages

I am not in favour of using 3rd party pieces of code as they make customisation complex.

When you say that Xplozions script "duplicates the comments on different pages", it must be taking the results from one RS and inserting them again.... this doesn't make sense. This why I thought you meant the way in which the results are showing.

edu2004eu

Reaction score
Wizet, you can change the comment box from xPlozion so that you get what you want.

Wizet

Reaction score
Wizet, you can change the comment box from xPlozion so that you get what you want.
PHP very bad =(

OK - this is weird and getting more confusing...

Do you

a) want one type of comment insert script that works on various pages.

b) want different types of comment insert script that works on various pages but enters the data to the same DB

c) want the results from the comments to show differently on different pages

I am not in favour of using 3rd party pieces of code as they make customisation complex.

When you say that Xplozions script "duplicates the comments on different pages", it must be taking the results from one RS and inserting them again.... this doesn't make sense. This why I thought you meant the way in which the results are showing.
a) no idea what you mean
b and c) are almost the same and that is what I want.

freecrm

Reaction score
a) no idea what you mean
b and c) are almost the same and that is what I want.

OK - b and c are very different.

b) an insert script uses a MySQL insert statement that puts data into the database - i.e. when a user physically enters text into a form field and the php puts that into a table.

For instance
<body>
<form>
<input name="datecreatedfield" type="hidden" id="datecreatedfield" value="<?php echo time();?>" />
<input name="commentfield" type="text" id="commentfield" />
<input type="submit" name="button" id="button" value="Submit" />
</form>
</body>

blah blah...

MySQL statement "INSERT INTO COMMENTTABLE (DATECREATED, COMMENT) VALUES ($_POST['datecreatedfield'], $_POST['commentfield'])"

c) a result script returns value from the database (e.g. in the form of a recordset that can then be displayed on your page using "echo"

For instance

MySQL statement "SELECT DATECREATED, COMMENT, FROM COMMENTTABLE
ORDER BY DATECREATED"

<?php
echo $row_recordsetcomments['DATECREATED'];
echo $row_recordsetcomments['COMMENT'];
?>

A "comment" box is a very generic statement that could describe either.

You can have different forms for inserting into the database (i.e. looks different but does the same function) or different tables (repeating or otherwise) to show those inserted comments after they have been entered.

I have lots of versions of both on my site. - Take a look and let me know which page you think is like the one that you want. (Log in with "Demo" as username and "Password" as password.)

Without fully understanding what you want, I can't help you.

edu2004eu

Reaction score
If you will give me access to the files and the database I can change it for you.