RSS feed of new free hosted domains

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
RSS feed of new free hosted domains:

So users can take an active intrest in latest new signups to free web hosting ,
for say inspiration and the exchange of ideas between webmasters/ designers
that would otherwise clutter the help forum.

A 'mechanical turk' system like this may also capture the occasional inept phisherman and with a few tweeks perhaps even all of them if a users account listed all the publically available URL's to the site that had been externally requested by browsers. Throw in an incentive like say a cheap TLD for the member with the most finds once a year and let the carnage begin.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
And for users who are using it for college projects or users who don't want their site public until they have it ready to go? We've discussed similar systems in the past.

As for cheap TLD's for the member finding the most phishing pages, that instantly goes to Bryon since he designed one of the systems we use that actively seeks-and-destroys them (and yes, he should get credit for that :) ).

That said, I'm still all for a system that shows all the sites hosted on x10, but only if the user in question chooses to OPT-IN to have their sites listed, since not everyone wants theirs listed. Likewise, it should be opted-out automatically, making the user opt-in to display it, since newer users may not realize it's listing it if we default it to opt-in.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Like they say... "throw it against the wall and see what sticks"

I concede to your wisdom and agree that some users may not wish to annouce the existance of a site till its ready,
(lord knows I've created some abominations myself, what designer hasn't?)
of course where a sitemap has been submitted to the likes of Google surely this would signify a desire to be found?

PS: yes all credit to Byron for his work.
It's bad enough sometimes keeping spam out of a forum and dread to think what running a hosting service is like.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
We've discussed and tried system to use peer reviewed website approval, but overall, the trouble of managing the system was too much compared to the websites it found. And we still had systems such as Bryon's. We are still considering ideas to improve anything though. As you said, "Throw it against the wall and see what sticks"!

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thankyou Xavier that is an interesting piece of information.
Was not aware a peer reviewed system had been tried
previously with only limited success.

Are you able to provide a brief synopsis for its theory of
operation and resulting problems encountered ?

Humans are difficult creatures I grant you, but they do find things that a scripting alone cannot.

Last edited:

silverbird775

Reaction score
It is always nice to know who your neighbours are. The domain catalogue would be perfect to me. Its managing should be left ... to users! The most intriguing part of it could be the semi-anonymous user rating system which would allow the other users to judge the site impression by stars (recallable and limited at count), make the report or send a hint to webmaster. The most starred webmasters may get a special forum/plan awards / catalogue/review permissions. For a stars received to count the user should distribute all of his recallable stars between other accounts. With account closing all of its stars/reviews should be recalled.

As cybrax said, it would be extremely interesting adventure to go through catalogue looking for inspiration or even new friends and joint projects. It may be especially positive for a newbies to browse the most starred sites to get an idea on how the the good x10 hosted domains look like. And indeed it would be easier to find out the similar sites and friendly site builders for ideas sharing.

Of course going public should be left to the user choice, opt-out by default. But it should help to organise the public sites at least.

Well, that was just a thought.