Set Permissions Question (Free Account)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suitecrm

Reaction score
Disclaimer. I am a newb. I have no idea what I am talking about. But I have search and search and web searched for this answer.

I am following the instructions on this page...

http://suitecrm.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=1383

I am suck on #4. I have no idea where to enter these commands. My searching has told me to SSH into the web server but I found that SSH is not allowed for "Free" accounts. Am I correct or is there another way or have I got it completely wrong.

Thank you in advance for any help to solve this issue.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi suitecrm,

You can set file permissions either through cPanel or through your FTP client. ;)

If you're doing it through cPanel's File Manager, you'll need to select the files you wish to change and click the Change Permissions icon at the very top of the file manager.

In general, directories have permissions of 755 and files have permissions of 644.

Thank you,

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Folders should be 755. Files should be 644. I've fixed this for you.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
How exactly?...for future reference. Thank you very much.
In the cPanel File Manager, you can right click on files and/or directories and there will be a menu option labeled "Change Permissions". It's also available in the top menu with the key icon. When you select this, you will see a dialog with checkboxes and three boxes. In the three boxes, you can enter the digits 7 5 5 or 6 4 4.

If you're using an FTP client, it varies depending on the client, but in general, there should be an option to "Change Permissions" or "Chmod". In FileZilla, it's "File Permissions" when you right click on files/directories.

If you want to learn more about what these numbers mean, check this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod#Octal_modes

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
How I did it not really something you can execute from your account, and really I only do on someone's accounts after making sure it's not going to hurt anything (symlinks and such)

Code:
find . - type d | xargs chmod 755 && find . -type f | xargs chmod 644

Find all directories, and chmod 755. Find all files, chmod 644. :)

rmsx10ho

Reaction score
Hello, I have the same problem with SMF forum (v1.1.21) that needs at least 775 on the attachments folder.

CPanel file manger keeps reverting 775 back to 755

Any ideas why? Security?

The SMF .htaccess file in the goldcoastcb.com/forum/attachments folder is set to prevent malicious scripts being run from that folder.

Thanks,
Rodney.

Status
Not open for further replies.