sFTP for Free accounts

rbeede

Reaction score
It'd be nice of sFTP (not ssh shells) were enabled for free accounts. You can have only sFTP without allowing an ssh shell too.

If that isn't feasible then FTP with SSL would be a nice alternative.

I've seen botnets with trojans in the wild that are stealing FTP credentials by intercepting the plain text password as it goes across the network. It'd be nice to have some more security.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Someone intercepting your password is highly unlikely unless you have allowed a trojan or other malicious software to be installed on your computer.

freezing

Reaction score
Personally I'd like to run some tests on an sFTP client I'm developing, having the option to test it on my site here would certainly be useful.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Jtwhite's correct, shouldn't matter. People honestly don't sit on wifi networks and monitor packet data looking for logins..

2. I'm fairly certain FTP passwords aren't sent in the clear. I believe the data is encrypted..

ah-blabla

Reaction score
2. I'm fairly certain FTP passwords aren't sent in the clear. I believe the data is encrypted..
They are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp#Security

I do agree with your first point that sniffing is unlikely (for a home network), albeit possible. If you are however on a proxy, TOR, or otherwise (possibly) unsecure connection, then it is possible, maybe even likely, that this could happen.

I do second the proposal though, since then you can use ftp safely without any concern about what connection you are using.

Last edited:

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
NORMAL FTP has no encryption so unless you are using ssl or sftp everything is clear text.

Danielx386

Reaction score
They are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp#Security

I do agree with your first point that sniffing is unlikely (for a home network), albeit possible. If you are however on a proxy, TOR, or otherwise (possibly) unsecure connection, then it is possible, maybe even likely, that this could happen.

I do second the proposal though, since then you can use ftp safely without any concern about what connection you are using.
That would be the case when I'm at school

rbeede

Reaction score
It happened at my work. Another person's machine was infected and the trojan sniffed the entire network around it looking for passwords.

It found some.

It then used the credentials to upload malware to websites which infected some web pages.

Our company is now moving to a policy of removing all ftp servers and having only sftp.

A few clients complained until we gave them detailed instructions on how to setup an sftp client on their end.

Also from a firewall configuration perspective sftp is easier to setup than ftp.

dvalin

Reaction score
absolutely agree with previously said
SFTP or FTPS access to the hosting is a matter of a third part internet security weather on free accounts or not