Shared Hosting + VPS = Win?

ChrisKader

Reaction score
So I was thinking: Could you have a shared hosting account that has unlimited space/bandwidth and use it with a VPS? Let me explain further.

All of your files are stored on the shared hosting account (Web files)

Then you use the VPS have have a fully customizable server.

Can you create a mount point in Linux that is on a different server?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
eeeh bit iffy here. You can create a mount point thats on a different server(mount ftp i think), but i would ask corey in more detail about what you want to do.

I do see a nice idea, have your main website on the shared hosting, and have any resource intensive stuff on the vps.

Last edited:

John233

Reaction score
Shared hosting is good if you want your site online within 24 hours, you are short on technical experience, and you want affordable hosting solutions. The best thing about shared web hosting solution is that it offers the benefits of high performance web hosting services, while sharing a powerful web server with several others.

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Your shared hosting account would most likely be killed off as it would be considered file hosting and that is not allowed in the TOS.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You'd honestly be much better off getting the smallest VPS with cPanel on it if you're planning on doing something complex like that. It's totally possible to do using NFS, although you might have issues with kernel restrictions using NFS.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of files? If it was just your normal website files like HTML\Images it would be fine... but would not be OK for file hosting, storing\distributing large files.

I'm also not sure on how you would share it between the VPS and hosting account... :)

Picard1595

Reaction score
I dont see why you wouldn't just get the cheaper VPS package and use Amazon S3 for storage...