Snow Storm

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Did anybody else get hit by the Winter Storm? I was right in the middle of it, in the Northeastern Tennessee area. We got about 10in of snow, our power was out for 13 hours, cable/internet/phone out for four days.

It got down to 28 degrees in the house and the kerosene heater wasn't helping any more, so we went to my aunts house and I took a picture of it over there, she only got about 4 inches of snow but the roads were worse there (colder, ice).

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
4 inch of snow is fairly normal around here :) think we got somewhere between 8 and 12 right now but it has fallen over a few days.

No snow storms causing power outages yet though, they are actually rather rare here since most power lines are in the ground. But last check we had -17 degrees Celsius outside.

Last edited:

jdmphoenix

Reaction score
I'm in Arizona for school, just got back home to chicago..And once i saw the snow i wanted to cry :(

websitedude

Reaction score
In the UK we have just had a resonable ammount of snow about 10 cms which is a lot for the time of the year in fact we could get the first white christmas for over 50 years! secound time we have loads of snow this year is it global warming or just a rare thing that will probly happen in another 40 years or so

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1 cm snow here, usually there is none at all. first in 3 years there are snow here

joejv4

Reaction score
Nope, we got lucky and that storm missed us, but the winds off the back of it are supposed to line up over Lake Ontario tomorrow and give us some Lake Effect Snow.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I really love snow, :) It's amazing.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
snowing again now, now there is like 3 - 4 cm snow, but it gonna melt away on the weekend, because then it gets +8C

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
over here at Jersey Shore we got like 1 - 1 1/2 ft of snow.
it was intense. and it was the good powdery snow too!

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
There's a lot of snow where I live. Fortunately, we bought a new snowblower yesterday to replace the old one that's been broken for three years.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I like the snow, But no snow here where I live. :(

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I like the snow, But no snow here where I live. :(

I've grown to hate snow. I always catch a cold in the cold weather, it takes too much work to shovel and snowblow the driveway and sidewalk, it's always more dangerous while driving, and the excessively cautious drivers go 30 miles per hour in a 55 mile-per-hour zone.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I've grown to hate snow. I always catch a cold in the cold weather, it takes too much work to shovel and snowblow the driveway and sidewalk, it's always more dangerous while driving, and the excessively cautious drivers go 30 miles per hour in a 55 mile-per-hour zone.

Regarding the driving that is bad. But anyway I like the snow and playing in it. :)

seafury

Reaction score
From the sunny Mexico

Hi, must be wonderful to had snow, here are a unknown event.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in Canada, snow doesn't scare me! As a matter of fact, last year a total of 13 ft of snow had fallen in my region over the winter :p
I was in N.Y. when the snow hit so I got the chance to seen Times Square, Central Park & Broadway under the snow. It was funny as the amount of people out was rather small ( for N.Y.) and I mostly heard people coming from Canada outside!

Last edited:

joejv4

Reaction score

Same deal here in Upstate NY. 2 kinds of snowstorms here - normal weather system snowfalls and Lake effect snowfalls (in the shadow of Lake Ontario the snow machine).

Shovel, run the snowblower, shovel some more, blow the driveway out again. Lots of days we clear the snow in the morning before work, then have to do it again when we get home, just so we can get in the driveway. The big piles that the plow leaves in the end of the driveway are a pain too!

I generally go between 40 - 45 in a 55 when the roads are snow-covered. Been in a ditch before and learned to slow down in snow. I slow down to a crawl when we get white-out conditions. I don't mind driving in snow except when I can't see where I'm going! Winter will be gone in another 4-5 months - can't wait!

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
xav0989 said:
Hey guys, I live in Canada, snow doesn't scare me!
Same. It makes me laugh - every year, the snow starts falling, and Americans and even major Canadian cities start freaking out.

--- Mr. DOS

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

Pfft, you're lucky. 25mph in a 70. Losers. It's a long straight bit of road.

fractalfeline

Reaction score
lol

It's so true... here in Texas it's like "OMFG it's SNOWING?!?!?!???" and everyone freaks out about pipes bursting, roads getting iced, and all the children are wondering if they'll get a Snow Holiday from school.