So.. What does everyone want to do / do for a career?

What is your career / future career?

• Computing based

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Clerical (Administration)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medical (Doctor/Surgeon/Midwife/Nursing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emergency Services (Police/Fire/Paramedic/EMT)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Live off the Government

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other (Post Details)

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Just wanting to see what the population of x10 does / wants to do as a career -- I know i'm going in a completely different direction..

So... vote with the poll and add extra details if you want to!

intertec

Reaction score
I already have everything planned:p. When I finish High school gonna go to university and do a double degree in Creative Industries - Visual arts and the other degree will be in Information technology:):)

kkenny

Reaction score
I'm not sure yet. Probably something biology/business related.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Work for x10 or become a Marine Diesel Tech (Or Both :))

firesteel

Reaction score
Already doing it. My employer lets me play with really nice and expensive toys!

ibm-logo_small.jpg

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hmmm. Something that contains one of this (or several):

x10, 3D, webdesign, gamedevelopement, programming

tittat

Reaction score
I am looking for a job which i can do even when i travel or at my home. :p

Dan

Reaction score
I definitely want to do something IT/computer based.
I've been looking at jobs with google... Though it's a long way off yet!!!
Another 9 years or so. ;)

tgkprog

Reaction score
whata bout other professions? anyway am old 32 alrady a software dev

TheMan177

Reaction score
Maybe something IT related, or maybe not. I'm undecided at this point in time. :p

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For me it'd be something to do with IT and computers of course. I'm already experienced in this field and I make some good money off of repairing/building computers for people. Not to mention, I can keep myself up to date with the latest gaming hardware as well with the money coming in. But yeah, IT.

firesteel

Reaction score
whata bout other professions? anyway am old 32 alrady a software dev

46 here. Changed careers from professional photography to IT at 40, and get this, my degree is in Mechanical Engineering. Go figure. Turns out my old CS classes in University were in demand, since many languages aren't taught any longer. Anyway, the change quadrupled my income.

I guess I am proof, you can do whatever you put your mind to. But kids, GET THE EDUCATION, until you really need it, you'll never appreciate it.

Great thread, btw.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I plan to work as a lawyer. My computer life is really a hobby. A well fed, money making and growing hobby, but still not my planned career.

Scott

Reaction score
I plan to be a Database Admin for either ASU, or another company, If it's another company, I'm going to Canada or United Kingdom...

Easy job at ASU, I have family in the I.T. dept. xD

kkenny

Reaction score
The only problem I see with being an IT is that in the future, they will all be outsourced to areas such as India and China. I mean look at the help support for many major companies such as Dell, Microsoft, HP, Sony, Linksys, Cisco, Canon, Nikon, and many other major companies. There help call number is directed to a call base in India, and you can tell because of the accent.

Not only that, but the place where many of my older friends work, if their computer has problems, they call this 24/7 helpline to help them, and it's in india. (The companies I'm talking about are Yahoo, Google, Sun Microsystems, etc,.)

Scott

Reaction score
I do agree, An old hosting company I used to use to register domains because they were cheap, there support which you had to call in order to get an auth code, was based in India... I couldn't understand them, I ended up just calling the server support and getting on from some people from the U.S.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I can chime in for the outsourcing as well. It's not that it's necessarily bad, it's just really inconvenient. I know a lot of the ISPs in my area all have India based support, and every now and again you'll be sent to the US. Many times, the outsourced support isn't the greatest as well because they don't have everything that is needed, such as where areas are having issues and more.

firesteel

Reaction score
Um, wow. I see terms like "outsourced" and "India" in an ugly context here. Got news for you guys, there's a whole world out there of competent, intelligent, educated young men and women who have similar goals and desires.

I work day in and day out with people from all over the world. India. Philippines. China, (Peoples Democratic Republic of). Taiwan (Republic of). Liechtenstein (where the hell is that?). Belgium. The United Kingdom. Vietnam. Brazil. I could go on and on.

The point is, we are ALL interested in the same thing. We have the same goals, the desires to work and to have family. Let's respect that. We love the country's we come from. Wow. Weirdness. Reality.

And I'll throw this in to make things even more uncomfortable here: as a former soldier of the United States Army, I can testify that I have seen every single one of the countries I listed above (including me, except Liechtenstein, where the hell is that again? and Vietnam) shoot at someone else in anger. All of that was in combat. There's some hate here, suppressed, but it's still hate.

And it's all bull****.

**** that.

Blood is red, I don't care where you come from.

firesteel

Reaction score
it got a bit offtopic now. Please keep it ontopic

Quite right. My apologies.

Never the less, I am very impressed with the talent displayed here. I genuinely hope all of you keep questioning, "what can i do?"

Guess what? You are doing "it"!!!!