Sorry

aquari24

Reaction score
Ive just learned that a parked domain is no better seo wise than a subdomain. with a parked domain search engines views that as duplicate content, so...
as much as i love this free hosting, if i want a site that works, i will have to bite the bullet and pay for real hosting.

Thanks for having me, i have deleted all my stuff in CPanel, and requested deletion.

caftpx10

Reaction score
If it ends up with duplicate results (because of the sub-domain), you can always use Google Webmaster tools to request removal of results for that sub-domain or any other tool that does the same thing on other search engines.
You can kind of break the sub-domain so that it no longer points to the server your site is on temporarily by editing the DNS zone in cPanel. That can also help with preventing duplicate results in the future.

As you had requested deletion, I guess nothing else can be done here..

aquari24

Reaction score
Why doesnt X10 offer to let members use their own domain on the free hosting side ?

I mean, without having to do it in a round about way.

That is the only thing that i dont like about X10

caftpx10

Reaction score
They can use their own domains. Just not as a default one.
If I recall correctly, it was said that the reason for this was because domains would end up expiring for some (not renewing their domains in time) and so their sites become inaccessible via that domain. This would cause trouble for the more inexperienced.
If it were to be allowed to change the main domain then it probably will not be too much of an issue if there is going to be a replacement domain. For those who do not have a replacement? Well, that is where the problem lies.

I do indeed believe that there should be a way of making it so that the sub-domain could be fallback rather than being there all the time always accessible or perhaps some simple toggle when logging in would do.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

A "parked domain" is essentially identical to your main domain: there is no difference in how it works, or what users/search engines see. It displays exactly the same content as your main domain name.

Some software, like WordPress, will redirect users from your x10Hosting domain to your Addon Domain, but if you're not using WordPress, you can still add a redirect manually in your .htaccess file or through the "Redirects" section of cPanel.

However, if you don't want to keep your main x10Hosting subdomain at all (and don't feel like adding a redirect), an Addon Domain would be more suitable, because you can choose which directory it uses for your website. So, if you didn't want your website to show up on your x10Hosting domain, you can move your files into a new directory (rather than "public_html"), and then point your Addon Domain there, without any issues.

Thank you,

aquari24

Reaction score
So... You would still install your software of choice, in the X10 subdomain, but put that into a folder called yada yada, in the home folder and then point your addon domain to that ?? :confused:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
You would make a new folder in the home folder, then point your addon domain to that folder. Then, install your software of choice to there instead.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It could very well be that the propagation hasn't completed (meaning not all of Internet have been updated with the fact the domain now should go through our name servers), while usually rather quick there can be a delay of a couple hours up to, as most, 48 hours. Any longer then that would indicate something has gone avry.

Note that you would also need to remove any additional name servers from the configuration.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Ok, i did all that, and now the only thing in my public_html file is a copy of the folder i created and installed the software to, (it is still also in the Home) and a cgi-bin folder that is empty. Does that folder need to be there ?

By the way when i type the url into the top bar of my browser, my new site comes up.

Does that sound like success ??
You may delete the 'cgi-bin' folder. It will cause no harm.
If your site appears on the desired domain then that should be all good.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

There's a 5 second server-side cache that might be causing that, but fortunately, it's really easy to turn it off if it's a problem. Within cPanel File Manager, open your .htaccess file in the same folder as your software (or create it if it doesn't yet exist), and add this line to the bottom:
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

This stops the server trying to cache your website.

Thank you,