Text speech is annoying and rude

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I too can imagine why it's so popular in text messages... It costs more per MB to send a text message than for NASA to communicate with rockets.

webitpr @ http://www.webitpr.com/release_detail.asp?ReleaseID=6054 said:
Most UK consumers think of text messaging as the cheapest and easiest way to communicate, with a typical cost for a standard 160 character text message of approximately 12p. When you break down that cost and relate it to the actual amount of data being sent, the true cost of texting is revealed. Every character you send in a text message equates to 1 byte of data. When translating this into a per Megabyte cost, it becomes clear just how expensive it is in the UK to send text messages, with consumers paying approximately £750 per MB*.

Comparatively, the US space agency, NASA pays approximately £61.50 per MB to receive data from the Hubble Space Telescope, a sophisticated 11-ton machine located 600km from Earth. This amount includes all personnel, operational, data transmission and data processing costs for the Hubble program and equates to UK mobile users paying 12.3 times more byte for byte than NASA pays to capture and process images of outer space.

[...]

* If the user sends exactly 160 characters per SMS (the max allowed and the standard billing increment), then he/she will be sending 160 bytes of data. This means that the user must send 6250 SMS messages to equal one MB (megabyte) of data transfer. 6250 SMS messages (@ 12p per message) = £750 per MB

(Emphasis mine)

Now who's getting ripped off? :rant2:

cowctcat

Reaction score
If anything like that happened in my forum i'd slap an infraction on them like nobodeys buisness!

dawmail333

Reaction score
l33t spek rox!

Actually, it doesn't. Pretty much all my text messages even are in perfect English (unless I'm running over the word limit). L33t speak should be left where it belongs: text messages.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I hate it.
I know people that even talk like it in real life!

I find it really hard to read, and it is against the rules in my forum :)

TheMan177

Reaction score
Text/leet speak annoys me. I don't understand why people couldn't be bothered to write using at least a bit of correct grammar and structure.

Communication through the internet/text messages and the like is not an excuse for not spending the time to write a respectable message.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello again,

I've just edited the rules for the Gamer's Lounge, text and leet speak is now not allowed. I can understand why people find it annoying, it's harder to read and just puts you off reading the post or thread.

I agree about it showing laziness too, it does make a person look they can't be bothered. I think everyone's made it clear that it's pointless, irritating and stupid now =P

-Luke.

USER.1

Reaction score
This is not an official language yet, but it may be.
It's how the kids learn to write on their cell phones. No doubt 95% of them are teenagers.
What we need is a key and official guidelines, because at the moment it's anarchy.

I find it so retro now, and a sure sign of illiteracy, and a lack of intelligence.

Oh and good luck with doing a text search like that.

xiadow001

Reaction score
ehh?.... What's the difference between Leet and text speak?? Sorry if it's a little off... I didn't know about this leet speak till I got here.. :eek4: i read that hackers use it.... err.. why???

cursedpsp

Reaction score
ehh?.... What's the difference between Leet and text speak?? Sorry if it's a little off... I didn't know about this leet speak till I got here.. :eek4: i read that hackers use it.... err.. why???

Its the same - they just call it l33t because it sound cool (not)

kkenny

Reaction score
L33T Speak should only be used in games and instant messaging, and even though only for those two, they should be used OCCASIONALLY. I mean, I don't bother during my League games in counter strike that my friend uses a little leet speak in the text box, but when it comes to talking/cellphone calls it gets ANNOYING. The occasionally l33t in text messages and ims are ok, but too much is also annoying ;P

Why do people not type out their words? People are already fat enough... you could burn off an extra 0.00001 calories by typing that extra letter!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not fat... :(

But yeah, I agree. If you notice, the only time I really talk in "1337" is when I'm just having a lot of fun, in game, or am too tired to post a full word. Otherwise, I will do full words, even when I'm posting from a PSP or something.

tittat

Reaction score
Leet speaking is ok as long as both the writer/speaker and reader/hearer know it well.Otherwise it will be annoying i agree.

Dan

Reaction score
Yes, it is very annoying.
I can understand it if someone isn't very good at English but just doing it out of laziness is out of order in my opinion.
Fine, do it on texts where it is just to your friends and you only have a small keypad but on the internet you normally have a full keyboard, so use it!

Repeat offenders of it should get infractions or something!

Dra_chan

Reaction score
The people that uses this kind of speech the most are american kids. Really, you CAN tell the difference between someone who isn't good at english and someone doing it on purpos. Somebody not good at english would go somewhat like this: "hi I happy meeting you, anyone can help with web page codin? I apreciation you for it thanks my english not very good sorry". So please, don't blame us international users! plz no i writ prper engrush!

ASPX.King

Reaction score
I don't even know leet... except for a little, like "k" is for "okay"... and that 1337 stands for leet which is short for elite... and plz is please

so yes it's irritating to me too when people post that un-readable.

van21691

Reaction score
Text speaking is very annoying, I am in this forum for my rubik's cube club. And the site is located in the Philippines, as they say Philippines is the text capital of the world, correct me if I am wrong, most user use text speak there. I do not understand a word they said even it is in english.

"qn u hlp m?"

Understand that line?

cursedpsp

Reaction score
yeah but the point of all of this is that informal english "leet" is lazy man's version of english. When or if you are taught english you learn the formal way - so if a person knows "leet" or txt language, they forwell know proper english!
Edit:
Text speaking is very annoying, I am in this forum for my rubik's cube club. And the site is located in the Philippines, as they say Philippines is the text capital of the world, correct me if I am wrong, most user use text speak there. I do not understand a word they said even it is in english.

"qn u hlp m?"

Understand that line?

yeah, and you know that real crap game called runescape (heh, my brother plays it) absiloutely nobody talks in the language we all know. A bloke was like "Yo m8 u gt ne scimz, i buy 4 6mill" - i mean, what the ******??? Its pointless, i dont think they realize it yet, but they sound like complete morons.
Edit:
oh - kkenny, you can burn 3 whole calories if you write a story 300,000 letters long! Great workout is you have calorie problems!

Last edited: