the Internet in 2012

wild bill

Reaction score
Ok what else is around the conner in 2012.. (gezzzz) My mom comes and tells me that she just heard on the news that the gov and all the ISP's and content providers around the world are all getting together and plan to basicly in my eyes shutdown the net as we know it.

I have done some searchs on google/yahoo last night and its all over the web!

They want to make the internet to be like pay TV. you only get to surf a few select websites like cnn,ect.. I remember the post office long time ago trying to do something about email but that never panned out. I don't know what to think about this. Its crazy! Who on earth would pay for internet access just to be able to surf a few sites? We would be charged to use google/yahoo or any other site to find other sites and services and use them. Its like pay TV you want that channel/website you pay for it.

I guess email and all the other stuff on the net will be blocked. :mad:

Is this just another rummer or is this for real?.. :eek4:

I hope this is not true. How would business operate on the net if nobody can get to the site or email without having to pay to look at it.. its just crazy man.. Im not even sure they plan on letting use keep using email.. that subject has not come up yet. I can just imagine. I have read that if this does happen that sites like facebook,myspase,peer to peer file sharing networks P2P networks in general and VOIP get blocked. Great! I find a great phone service using the net (skype) that uses P2P networking and is a VOIP provider.All this and more may go away but nobody really knows. :dunno:

--Bill

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
This is why we need to campaign for net neutrality... Anyway, I doubt this could happen in the near future, and definitely not worldwide (I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in the US or UK) -- but on a longer timescale that's what it seems could happen. And this is definitely what certain companies might want. But, since all internet technology is open, it wouldn't be too hard for citizens to start their own network(s), so it isn't that bad.

wild bill

Reaction score
Ok I looked up what net neutrality means and found this. Thank you for your feedback. Your the first person that had something positive to say about this that I have talked to since I found out about this.

(Net Neutrality)

The principle that Internet users should be able to access any web content or any other internet service they want, post their own content, and use any applications they choose, without restrictions or limitations imposed by their Internet service providers (ISPs).

Edit:
Someone just sent me an email with this link on info about this issue but this seems to not be about $$ but I can see the gov using this to keep us from getting info about things. I dunno man. I hope this doesn't happen

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/obama-shut-down-internet-legislation,7478.html

--Bill

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok what else is around the conner in 2012.. (gezzzz) My mom comes and tells me that she just heard on the news that the gov and all the ISP's and content providers around the world are all getting together and plan to basicly in my eyes shutdown the net as we know it.

I have done some searchs on google/yahoo last night and its all over the web!

They want to make the internet to be like pay TV. you only get to surf a few select websites like cnn,ect.. I remember the post office long time ago trying to do something about email but that never panned out. I don't know what to think about this. Its crazy! Who on earth would pay for internet access just to be able to surf a few sites? We would be charged to use google/yahoo or any other site to find other sites and services and use them. Its like pay TV you want that channel/website you pay for it.

I guess email and all the other stuff on the net will be blocked. :mad:

Is this just another rummer or is this for real?.. :eek4:

I hope this is not true. How would business operate on the net if nobody can get to the site or email without having to pay to look at it.. its just crazy man.. Im not even sure they plan on letting use keep using email.. that subject has not come up yet. I can just imagine. I have read that if this does happen that sites like facebook,myspase,peer to peer file sharing networks P2P networks in general and VOIP get blocked. Great! I find a great phone service using the net (skype) that uses P2P networking and is a VOIP provider.All this and more may go away but nobody really knows. :dunno:

--Bill

Wait until you read the secret copyright treaty that countries have been working on and that has gotten leaked two weeks ago. I've been aware of these things and have been raged over this. Here is a nice diagram of what they want to propose for those who like pictures over text. Looks just like my satellite bill! But it is in fact true, believe it or not. It's corporations having their you know whats stuck in their wallets, and they will ultimately hurt x10Hosting here as well. I refuse to have such an ISP here in my home.

Picture time! The image I took from Stopthecap.com. To avoid hotlinking to their site, here's the image hosted on my bandwidth.

isppackage.png

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I thought there was going to be no more Earth in 2012, so I guess the internet in 2012 is non-existant. :p

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
EU just voted about this some months ago (The telecom package). I think it was stopped, but I'm not sure. We'll have to hope the Swedish pirate party gets more seats in the EU parliament to vote against EU's idiotic decision (their latest law enforces webmasters to get the users concent before entering a site with cookies, so if you got a login page, adcodes, statistics, you need to prompt the user before the cookie is placed)

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I'll just vote for the Monster Raving Loony party. They would probably have some lunatic but sensible policy about this.

BTW, that copyright treatise is probably ACTA, which is worrying because it will allow DMCA like clauses to have power outside the US, as well as generally threatening democratic principles.

A few interesting links:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/ (Net Neutrality)
https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=420 (Action against ACTA)

Anyway, I think we should manage to persist and survive somehow. As long as citizens group together to make their own network, not that much can be done. (Private mesh wireless networking as the new internet?) Unless of course the government outlaws that too, but I doubt it would get that far.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'll just vote for the Monster Raving Loony party. They would probably have some lunatic but sensible policy about this.

BTW, that copyright treatise is probably ACTA, which is worrying because it will allow DMCA like clauses to have power outside the US, as well as generally threatening democratic principles.

A few interesting links:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/ (Net Neutrality)
https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=420 (Action against ACTA)

Anyway, I think we should manage to persist and survive somehow. As long as citizens group together to make their own network, not that much can be done. (Private mesh wireless networking as the new internet?) Unless of course the government outlaws that too, but I doubt it would get that far.

ACTA, that's what I was thinking of. It's pretty bad when it comes down to it from what I've read. Be a nice smack in the face to everyone while the entertainment companies go home laughing. As for the wireless mesh, the government would need to outlaw the entire unlicensed spectrum to even do anything.

xgreenberetx

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is true. They never wanted the internet to exist in the first place, it is free information. The government has been working a long time covering stuff up and the internet gives you real information and not propaganda. If you notice the first internet company AOL, has the all seeing eye inside a triangle. Same as on the dollar bill. CBS ( Columbia Broadcast System ) has the same all seeing eye in their logo.

You might say what does CBS have to do with the government? Washington DC, DC means ( District of Columbia ). What about the recording industry? Columbia records. What about utilities? Columbia gas, Columbia gas has many different names around the world, but in truth there is only one gas company in the world, Columbia gas.

This is no coincidence. And you can only browse CNN? CNN is ran by the government. Your probably saying, but we have rights! You notice after the government attacked the trade towers Bush took some of our rights away. The patriot act violates many of our constitutional rights. They already have another attack planned against America to take even more rights away.

They do this because a scared population is easier to control. They then can claim to take control out of chaos, and implement Martial Law, which Bush wrote up document saying the government has the right to re right our constitution and take control of all homes, businesses, highways, and food supplies. They then have a plan to send everyone to concentration camps, FEMA has built over 800 in the USA right now. They hope to start a race war to force us into civil war to distract us from their plan.

Links to Bushes plan.
http://www.uhuh.com/control/garden.htm
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~lf14/conspire/rex84.html
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=3010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zSDdm-SHI&feature=player_embedded

Inform Yourself to Protect Yourself!!

Reaction score
Well I haven't read all of this, but from the looks if this gets through pretty much every website on the web can pack it's bags. Not to mention the gigantic impact that would have on the economy. Some companies might profit, like google, but all the small businesses will have to do without websites. Not to mention the businesses who's only income is from the web, by producing websites and the like.

I can't imagine this getting through ever, if it does many peoples lives will change drastically and many people will lose their jobs. The government would be insane to do something like this, let's hope at least someone over there has pointed them at the consequences something like this will have.

What is the general idea actually behind this? So the government and a few big companies can get more money? Wouldn't surprise me if that's the general thought, after all money is all the government cares about if you ask me. I think I'll read some of those articles now and try to find some answers :)

Alright after reading up on the net neutrality website I found this part:

Who else supports Net Neutrality?

The supporters of Net Neutrality include leading tech companies such as Amazon.com, EBay, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Facebook, Skype and Yahoo. Prominent national figures such as Internet pioneer Vint Cerf, Stanford law professor Lawrence Lessig and Acting FCC Chairman Michael Copps have called for stronger Net Neutrality protections.

President Barack Obama himself pledged to “take a back seat to no one” in his commitment to Net Neutrality. And the administration’s technology policies now posted on the White House Web site list Net Neutrality as the top priority.

Editorial boards at the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Seattle Times, St. Petersburg Times and Christian Science Monitor have all have urged Congress to save the Internet.

To me that seems like some big supporters. If those companies really stick up against this I can't imagine the internet changing, at least not in the way we are discussing here.

Last edited:

MJParrish

Reaction score
This is why we need to campaign for net neutrality... Anyway, I doubt this could happen in the near future, and definitely not worldwide (I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in the US or UK) -- but on a longer timescale that's what it seems could happen. And this is definitely what certain companies might want. But, since all internet technology is open, it wouldn't be too hard for citizens to start their own network(s), so it isn't that bad.

Just read on Yahoo news, that Obama, who is in China, visited with some Chinese students, and told them that a free, unrestricted Internet is necessary to promote a free country. We'll see if he stands by his word.:dunno:

wild bill

Reaction score
Yeah right.. like he said he was going to pull our troops out of Iraq, ect...:metallicb

Im not holding my breath on this one but lets hope for the best.

Just read on Yahoo news, that Obama, who is in China, visited with some Chinese students, and told them that a free, unrestricted Internet is necessary to promote a free country. We'll see if he stands by his word.:dunno:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think so it is going to happen. As there will be big oppose for this. Now a days the Internet became a very big communication and enterprise medium. If this is going to be restricted what is the point of new research on speed and technology like cloud computing, petaflop super computers etc...

wild bill

Reaction score
If this is going to be restricted what is the point of new research on speed and technology like cloud computing, petaflop super computers etc...

hmmm maybe for the select illuminati?.. ;)

I remember reading some where on the net a long time ago that the internet was originally used for the US Government to use in times of war in the 60's 70's and 80's for off the air communications, ect.. but some how the technology of the unix OS and computer networking leaked out or something in the late 80's. I remember the first time I was on the net was on a unix shell account I found [ sdf.lonestar.org ]

I think this machine has been around for a long time since the early days of the internet. When I first logged in there was only newsgroups and email. no world wide web no IM chatting and about a year or two the web was online with just text websites. no graphics. wasn't very interesting as there were very few website at the time.

They had something before the www tho I forgot about Gofer. I think I spelled that right. Anyway it was kinda like the www but it was more of a FTP client then www but you could use it to get info from school universities, ect. It didn't take long for the internet to catch on after websites were in full graphics mode.

The rest is history and here we are today. it was like the big bang. it just kept getting bigger and bigger with more apps and services and then there was AOL and Compuserve. :cool:

I remember using email (ELM) was the mail client at that time on SDF and was talking to someone from Japan. I thought this was soo kewl to be able to communicate with someone on the other side of the world and get a responce in 5 mins. I was amazed at this thing called email and the Internet. I tired to tell others about this but most had problems with learning how to get around on the shell and start apps. Hahah I remember telling this girl about it and she said "it just looks like a empty BBS".:nuts:

Now remember I was first using BBS's over phone lines before I found out about SDF. The BBS network had netmail but it took for ever for the "netmail" to get to the other node on the network and it was not very private. It was called the FidoNet. It was fun but was nothing compaired to the internet.

BTW SDF is still up and running. I think it was the only access in Dallas, Texas to the internet and I had to dialup the phone number to login to the SDF machine.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
(I only read the first 2 posts)...

I must honestly say that his is a bunch of garbage.....i'll tell you why....

How can any organization AT ALL, stop what they don't own....THAT IS RIGHT...according TO EVERY LAW OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT...no one can take what is yours from you...legally...

Well let me add this...how the hell do you stop people from using the bathroom, or breathing??? that's right it just happens....the internet is a persons, life these days...what would we do without it???

Well, if the internet, is just a computers linked together, through this little wire, or signal...they would need to TAKE AWAY ALL COMPUTERS...and little wires to STOP THE INTERNET.... :)

Sorry to say this...but if I met anyone that thinks the internet can be taken away from people, for good...I would take out a bat and hit them across the face with it. :)

Sorry about the graphic images, but come on, what the hell are you going to believe...people you don't know/are stupid and don't know ANYTHING...or are you going to believe...people like myself...who JUST LITERALLY GAVE YOU PROOF, that the INTERNET WILL NOT SHUT DOWN....

: )

I rest my case...dam I should have become a lawyer...
Edit:
TAKE this from me...If I can easily press a couple keys on my computer, and get into your computer...,my grandmother, your grandmother, and SATAN can ALL get the internet back.

Last edited:

wild bill

Reaction score
Well I sure hope they don't but I have heard that they plan on setting it up like Pay TV you have to pay to get to visit some sites and if want to access a hopage. gzz I dunno I think will not be around for a while if they do this. Its the Companys and the Gov getting together trying to figure out how to suck more money out of the public.

--Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
(I only read the first 2 posts)...

How can any organization AT ALL, stop what they don't own....THAT IS RIGHT...according TO EVERY LAW OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT...no one can take what is yours from you...legally...

Well let me add this...how the hell do you stop people from using the bathroom, or breathing??? that's right it just happens....the internet is a persons, life these days...what would we do without it???

Well, if the internet, is just a computers linked together, through this little wire, or signal...they would need to TAKE AWAY ALL COMPUTERS...and little wires to STOP THE INTERNET.... :)

Sorry to say this...but if I met anyone that thinks the internet can be taken away from people, for good...I would take out a bat and hit them across the face with it. :)

Sorry about the graphic images, but come on, what the hell are you going to believe...people you don't know/are stupid and don't know ANYTHING...or are you going to believe...people like myself...who JUST LITERALLY GAVE YOU PROOF, that the INTERNET WILL NOT SHUT DOWN....

Edit:
TAKE this from me...If I can easily press a couple keys on my computer, and get into your computer...,my grandmother, your grandmother, and SATAN can ALL get the internet back.

Uhm, I want to believe you and I can't imagine why anyone would want to shut down the internet. But the companies that want to shut it down are the ones that give you your internet connection. They don't shut down the actual internet, they shut down your connection with the internet with the exception of a few sites.

I also don't know, but I'm not seeing any images or proof in your post. I don't know if my browser is simply not displaying them or if they're really not there...

Also didn't China have some system that's blocking certain sites? If China did it, other countries can as well.

So saying it can't happen or won't happen is simply denying facts if you ask me. I don't really care if that's what you're doing, but please don't present your opinions as facts or proof.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Also didn't China have some system that's blocking certain sites? If China did it, other countries can as well.

So saying it can't happen or won't happen is simply denying facts if you ask me. I don't really care if that's what you're doing, but please don't present your opinions as facts or proof.
The Government can do pretty much anything, as you said. Most of the Root nameservers are controlled by the US, so the US Govt could do pretty much anything to one of the main services behind the Web.

I only read the first 2 posts)...

Edit:
I think you underestimate what Governments can do. Who thought Nazi Germany would happen (just as one example of unexpected evil)? How come China manages the impossible and regulates internet access the way it does? (Although it must be said there are constantly new ways of getting through the great Chinese Firewall.)

BTW, govts. could quite easily outlaw production of new computers. Alternatively, M$ could just completely take over control of your computer: this is one possible application of "WGA" which Windows Systems come with - computers are being increasingly designed such that they can be easily locked up -- by the company that made them / made the software for them. So, we have yet another reason to use Free Operating Systems and Software (free as in speech), preferably from the Ground Up (i.e from BIOS to UI), so that YOU can control your computer. Precisely the above scenarios are a possible outcome of the control that people are allowing to companies by using proprietary products, which they are legally not allowed to dissect, examine or modify.

ISPs are however the main place where problems will arise, as cyberneticsoldier pointed out. They control your access to the interent. Already now you have companies limiting Torrent access / slowing it down (Yes, I know many people use torrent for illegal means, but many also for legal means. You can't ban knives just because you can kill with them though, since people need them for cooking, likewise with Torrent -- it can be used perfectly legally to good purpose), and the UK Government wanted to block certain sites / maybe even does. In Germany I think there were plans to block certain websites for everyone as well. It isn't hard to see this spreading on to commercial blocking, where you would have to pay just to be able to access a website. This is precisely why we need net neutrality. Your ISP should be a service provider, but they are trying to become content providers. As soon as control is allowed, it will spread and be taken advantage of. This isn't as bad as government control though, since that can quite easily lead to censoring, which is much worse.

However, luckily wires aren't needed for internet any more. Current hardware doesn't support mesh networking very well, but more and more work is being done on this, so it wouldn't be that difficult to set up an ad-hoc network if wired networks were banned and disassembled.

Last edited:

Chirantha

Reaction score
People will say many things but its always as they say.... easier said than done ;)

joejv4

Reaction score
For all the conspiracy theorists in this thread... Think about it. The economies of most of the world have become dependent on the internet and e commerce. Shut down the web now or even go with a pay-TV model, and we'll see a world wide economy that makes this mess we're in now look like Camelot. Seriously, be it private companies or the government that should try this sort of thing, they'd be essentially hanging themselves. The only "out" for them, would be to open things back up. My guess is that they wouldn't be stupid enough to actually try it in the first place.

As for the pay-TV way of doing things, there is enough competition that any ISP to go that route would find themselves losing too much business to continue. The money to be made is in speed and extras for subscribers, not in charging for access to different sites.

Yes, China has the "Great fireWall" but that went in place before computer networks and the needed infrastructure was built. While the internet was growing and integrating itself into our daily lives and our economies throughout most of the world, it has never been allowed to become an important part of their economy or the daily lives of their people, businesses, or government.

Last edited: