The new iPad

danjr000

Reaction score
I think it is basically just big ipod touch. Kind of over priced if you ask me. What do you all think?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
i heard it lacks processing power too much.

What? Have you been reading microsoft.com? XD

The iPad has been more successful than Apple thought it would be, and Apple always aim high.

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like to talk in advance but I think that HP Slate would be my choice when it comes to tablet PCs. iPad is not nearly as useful as it needs to be for me to consider it. If I'm gonna spend money on something like that I want to use it for more then just fun and let's face it, iPad is made to be fun. You can't really work on it.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like to talk in advance but I think that HP Slate would be my choice when it comes to tablet PCs. iPad is not nearly as useful as it needs to be for me to consider it. If I'm gonna spend money on something like that I want to use it for more then just fun and let's face it, iPad is made to be fun. You can't really work on it.

iWork and bluetooth keyboard? That's what I'm going to do :)

@vigge_sWe: The Microsoft Surface would also be competition, if only they could get it to work at below £100000!

~Callum

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

@vigge_sWe: The Microsoft Surface would also be competition, if only they could get it to work at below £100000!

~Callum

Well, the Microsoft Surface isn't really portable is it?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
When I said I want to work on it I meant a fully functional operating system (like Windows 7 on HP Slate or, why not, Linux).

True!

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
iPhone OS is a fully functional operating system.

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@Alex Mac: can you install Apache server with PHP and MySQL on it then?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
@Alex Mac: can you install Apache server with PHP and MySQL on it then?

Uh, it's a tablet...

Find me any website that is running off a tablet. It's kinda a niche market - a tablet PC that doubles up as a web server.

~Callum

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The iPad WiFi + 3G model will arrive at people's doors on the 30th for anyone that ordered one.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I newer though about making if fully functional web server but rather a test server to show my clients their current project state on the go. A nice tablet PC is a great way of impressing your clients or potential clients and show them what they need to see. Not to mention you can do some basic coding and editing right on the spot in front of your client. You can always use a laptop but this is more convenient and can really impress your clients. And did I mentioned it's more convenient? :)

When I consider buying something like this I always look for more usability. Who know what might I need to have on it? I'm also a programmer and it's easier for me to develop apps for it if there's Windows 7 on it.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I newer though about making if fully functional web server but rather a test server to show my clients their current project state on the go. A nice tablet PC is a great way of impressing your clients or potential clients and show them what they need to see. Not to mention you can do some basic coding and editing right on the spot in front of your client. You can always use a laptop but this is more convenient and can really impress your clients. And did I mentioned it's more convenient? :)

You could get the 3G version and access it over the internet? :D

When I consider buying something like this I always look for more usability. Who know what might I need to have on it? I'm also a programmer and it's easier for me to develop apps for it if there's Windows 7 on it.

LOL

~Callum

monkeymhz

Reaction score
Indeed, its a giant ipod touch. It has no appeal to me, but theres a market for it. Mainly just fanboys and people who get it because they wanna buy a new toy.

However Microsoft's Courier does appeal to me, mainly because Its something I can use for my profession, and I could see it being popular and drastically useful among students. I just hope it has a decent price-point when it comes out.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I posted it on another heard but I guess it's relevant content so I'll post here too. I saw some reviews for tablet called WePad form some German company and it's just cool. It has all the features iPad hasn't (like USB slots and Card Readers, full multitasking and much more) and it's a bit bigger the the iPad. It's Android based, which is totally cool, and come with 1.3 MP web camera so check it out.

http://wepad.mobi/

EDIT:
I just found a nice article about iPad alternatives: http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-10-ipad-alternatives

Last edited: