Tired of downtime

Someguy2

Reaction score
So Lotus is currently being worked on so it means my website is down and it also costs some angry users, so why not either move us temporarily to another server that is OK or maybe make a temporary server for websites that are on server's that is currently being fixed. Also I was thinking of clustering every server since I think they are in the same datacenter (probably most servers).

This is just a suggestion, please do not punish me.

Last edited:

tmfksoft

Reaction score
x10 Staff cannot help that the server needs work on it. Would you rather run on a faulty server or wait till its fixed?
I think i'd rather wait rather than risk something like a security breach.

They cannot make a server as they would have to buy a new one which entails installing all the required software and security measures and then making sure they work and adding the DNS records. To setup a server from scratch could take up to a week.

It's possible to move all users to another server but it then would cause the servers to become cramped. I imagine they are already cramped as it is, The ways user registration works is to spread out the users and balance the workload across all servers rather than filling one then another, it keeps them fast and easier to manage.

Thanks,
Thomas Edwards

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
so why not either move us temporarily to another server that is OK
There are several reasons why this would not be the most ideal solution:
1) Lotus has hundreds of gigabytes of data that would take a very long time to transfer.
2) DNS would have to be modified for the thousands of accounts on the server.
3) We would need to find a server that could actually sustain the large amount of data being transferred.

This is just a suggestion, please do punish me.
Nobody would be punished for submitting feedback or a suggestion :)

ajordan91

Banned
Reaction score
do you know what a 'server cluster' looks like ?

take a look

==>
social_network.png
<==

Someguy2

Reaction score
do you know what a 'server cluster' looks like ?

take a look

==>

<==

I know what is a server cluster (the basics) and they might help in reducing the downtime but I think it's too late since it should be clustered before the company starts.

drviolin

Reaction score
My site is on Boru, and it seems something is up with it almost every week. Either there is maintenance, or an upgrade, or a problem etc., all resulting in unexpected downtime. Mail is down on a regular basis and therefore cannot be relied upon. Granted, the hosting is free, but there must be a way to minimize downtime, I am sure. I was hoping for better reliability after the big upgrade a year or two ago, but it seems not much has improved, and that is very disappointing.

Last edited:

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The current maintenance on the free hosting servers, while it is causing downtime now, should make the system more stable and reduce downtime in the future.

liliford

Reaction score
Does a staff member know how long it will take for maintenance i have been registered since 3 weeks and my website as not work propely almost since the beggining.
Waiting to open website because to much unstable so i prefer to closed it for now.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
There's a lot of discussions in the past why there is downtime, why it's so hard to run a free webhost, why we can't do this suggestion or the other, etc. The bottom line is there's not a lot of information out there about free webhosting. No one is making money off of giving something away for free and those who can do it successfully are X10Hosting's competitors, so they aren't telling us anything (not that we don't already know everything they'd tell us, right? ;) )

One of the most frustrating things, in my opinion, is when your host closes down. Possibly unexpectedly. Possibly without telling you. The road of free hosting is littered with failed hosts. X10Hosting, while it has periods of issues, has been in business a long time. It's a track record of making good decisions, even when the decisions are unpopular. It's a track record of making upgrades, even when it was easier to let the outdated systems stay in place. It's a track record of doing huge maintenance just to get modest improvements for X10Hosting users. If you look at the small picture, it looks like the admins are just running around with their hair on fire.

If you look at the big picture, the admins are dedicated to offering the best free hosting that can be offered. The staff members and the community staff members (like me) are only here because we care. X10Hosting is a good host and I hope that even though there are some problems now and again, our users can see the qualities of a webhost that has spent almost 10 years constantly working towards perfection.

This is all IMHO, of course. But, I hope you can see what I'm saying. Keep the suggestions coming. I could name a few ideas that have come straight from our users.

drviolin

Reaction score
While all this is true, it's still incredibly frustrating to not be able to count on this service for stability. The mail is nearly impossible to use due to regular outages, and there is usually a problem with one of the servers on a daily basis. So it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, but what is the solution?

terror

Reaction score
Having the EXACT same issue. Haven't been able to access my site for the past day/2 days. Getting complaints for readers. It's getting unacceptable.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We constantly work on creating a stable, fast, and reliable environment for free hosting. However, free hosting is just that - free hosting. You are getting this hosting service for free. We do our best to keep it online and efficient for you to run your sites. If you are tired of the server maintenance and overcrowded free hosting servers then you'll either have to make due or upgrade your account to the premium service. It only costs $6.95/mo or $3.95/mo if you pay for 3 years. x10Premium has excellent up-time and fast servers.

Yes, it sounds like I'm trying to sell you hosting. Which, I am, but at the same time you should know anything you want requires payment - you don't get things for free. When you do, there are going to be some downsides. I've been around x10 for ages and used to have my own free account when they were much younger. It's been improving drastically and the amount of time and effort spent keeping free hosting online impresses me daily.

Again, we're sorry about the amount of maintenance that is normally performed on the free servers, a lot of it is to make the service better for our users. As far as moving your accounts during maintenance... there are far too many accounts to move, it would take too much time to do such things.

Just some food for thought. :)

terror

Reaction score
Jake, that was totally understandable. However usually when X10 do maintenance on the servers, it's like, what an hour or two a day? It's never really been in my way... I haven't been able to access the page for over a day... What kind of upgrade or maintenance is actually going on?