Totally Inaccurate Information - Nothing is Solved on the Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
You Split the HardDrive in the Server.
You install to the Test Split section of the HardDrive.
You Test.
You Copy over to the Target HardDrive when you are happy with the install.
You boot the Target Drive first from the Test Dive.
Simples!
Haha, I wish it was that simple. :)

stgeorge

Reaction score
@stpvoice
I do not underestimate the process. I explained it as a PC user might understand it. The big BUT is the principles are still the same.

@svcadm
As Above, I will agree the environment will be different. All environments are made to be copied or backed up. There is the clue. You replicate the two server OS's

The Point is to all, you do not move from one Server, (ie different location), without testing your install first.
Otherwise you are relying on your Clients to tell you what is wrong because Server Admin has not tested the installation first.
It is still basic Computing.
Create on a Test Environment and when happy your implement on the Target Environment.

As for copying an OS and other peripherals, that is down to configuration files within the environment and the system or OS that is being used.

The principals remain the same!

Last edited:

jleasia92

Reaction score
A suggestion - the prime directive in any move is to prevent data loss, so I'd suggest that once a move starts, access is prevented. Since it appeared to my users that they could (and did) use the app once the migration was started, they went ahead and used the app - things seemed normal to them. I didn't know there was a move in progress even other than happening to check the forum after it had already been in progress for a day. But then once the migration was complete, data they entered went missing because it had been entered after the backup was made, I guess (support ticket is opened - not sure if I will see the data in the restore since I think it happened mid migration, after the backup).

I think that's the point about the not enough complete info. If I had known we should close our apps during the migration I would have. Now it has been 4 or 5 days and I'm still not sure what the fix will be if there even is one, whether I should go ahead and try to recreate the missing data or whether to wait for the restore via the open ticket. Just a lot of confusion because of the missing data and not knowing whether and when things might or might not be fixed.

stgeorge

Reaction score
@jleasia92
That is partly my reason for this Thread.
If I knew what was going to happen I could have moved the sites to a different server in under 2 hours.
Now I am left with a registered domain that has NO SERP ranking when it used to.

The point re databasel
What good is that when in a Forum as an example Posts will be lost and in 10 days the old database is totally useless.

Forget PAGE RANK, that is BOLL****
SERP is the only thing that counts!

NO WARNING, NOTHING!

Then incomplete information via the 'Service Updates'

Last edited:

stgeorge

Reaction score
After all my RANTS I feel the server may well be OK now.
So to finish this I will look in tomorrow and if all is well I will Close the thread and let it sink into obscurity.

The thread has done no harm.

One point I would like to make is that the Forum Staff have at least participated this time.

On the last three occasions I got seriously involved with Forum Threads on x10, there was no Mod or Admin participation.

So all is well on x10 - and in many ways improving!

svcadm

Reaction score
After providing my ticket ID to stpvoice on page 4 of this thread, a staff asked me if it was a ftp or drupal problem. I answered after 4 mins. After that it's been a looooooooooooong looooooooooooooooong time, and neither have they made any replies or anything about the issue.

Still now the status page of x10 is down.
Well, stgeorge, don't close the thread. I'm having a feeling this will go on for another month or so. Being a Oracle Solaris Administrator, I understand that complications happen, but this is getting really annoying.:frown: :(:

stgeorge

Reaction score
Still now the status page of x10 is down.
Well, stgeorge, don't close the thread. I'm having a feeling this will go on for another month or so. Being a Oracle Solaris Administrator, I understand that complications happen, but this is getting really annoying.:frown: :(:

I won't because that is what Forum's are for; Free Speech!

I will only Close this myself when ALL issues are resolved.
However the Mods and Admins are deleting within Posts, or even worse the Threads within the time I have got involved with this Thread and personally I am "thoroughly pissed off!" that the staff here are taking anything personal.
Let Debate RAGE!

You want to read how other Free Hosters open themselves Up READ THIS:
http://sixserve.com/forums/topic/1552-worst-free-hosting/

The problem that I have found here is they will delete any URL that is Not Pro x10:
But that URL is not x10!!!!

But others I have posted are deleted!

Last edited:

stgeorge

Reaction score
A basic Guide to cPanel Hosting is here:
http://winfoes.co.uk/forum/Free-Web-Hosting
It is within that Section of the Forum.
All the answers are there, it is simply browsing!

Cos there are that many Free cPanel Hosters that cannot operate since cPanel introduced CPU into the equation.

cPanel are the resource HOG when it comes to CPU.

I know because I see the Stats and Scripts designed around CPU

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
1) You're breaking the rules right now by going off topic. This is a support forum. It's not a forum for your rants and suggestions.

2) Your posts are closed and deleted when you go off topic or break the other rules you agreed to when you created an account, not because of censorship.

3) As a volunteer, you are wasting my time right now because I have to write this reply, instead of helping other users solve their problems.

The problem here is users breaking the rules, not moderators and not admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.