Transferred: Hi i'm in need of REALLY BIG assistance. More info within.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
There is this game that shut down in 2005 and i want to bring it back, for those who enjoyed playing it before.

It's called Blade Mistress.

I'm not very good at Making a server for a game, or anything really. And all i really need is tips, common information, and some simple guides if possible.

Some info i can give is, the only files for the game i got are from a setup.exe which was downloaded from a private server which, for a while now, is offline. I dont think it'll be up and running any time soon either.

I'd also like to add that it's an older game, made to have Low bandwith.

I Appreciate any help.

I'll stick with using x10 to host for now and then if im succesful at getting it running i'll work on building my own server to host with.

Hmm, How would i go about creating my own Server to Host on, is there a cost for starting one and maintaining it? that's one of my weak points.

Also, Not sure if i can ask here but anyway, Do you know of any software that i could use to findout more about the files?

It has some .dat files
Posting on behalf of this user into this forum as it better fits the support required.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
This user would need a VPS with a Windows based OS, from what I gather. I would need to learn more about what this is to say for sure, but I'm fairly confident.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
you, or him, could have asked to get the thread moved instead.

meyfei

Reaction score
Just posting before heading off to bed.

If needed i could send a link of the download for the Setup file, incase anyone wants to take a peek at it.

Also, Whats VPS? :dunno:

playminigames

Reaction score
a vps is a virtual private server its just like a private server, but not as expensive.

if you wanted to create your own server it is going to cost quite a bit of money, a few hundred dollars for the server, and then you will need probably need to get a faster internet connection, and make sure that your service provider lets you have a server. This would be the last option i would use.

my first option would be a vps, it is going to be the cheapest, then if you need something bigger you can always upgrade to a full server

meyfei

Reaction score
I guess first thing i'll need to do is Figure out if i can manage with these files, and i'm gonna see what i can do using x10.

http://aggressivegames.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=62

thats some opinions of past players about how the game's setup was like, some of it's kinda hard for me to understand, but i some of it sank in smoothly lol.

The link I posted at the end of that leads to the, now, ONLY download to the setup.exe for blademistress. If you search online all you'll get is some "BBOSETUP.EXE" *shudder*

Last edited:

playminigames

Reaction score
exactly what kind of game is this, is it a graphics heavy game, what, because depending you might not be able to do anything with just a free account.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
a vps is a virtual private server its just like a private server, but not as expensive.

if you wanted to create your own server it is going to cost quite a bit of money, a few hundred dollars for the server, and then you will need probably need to get a faster internet connection, and make sure that your service provider lets you have a server. This would be the last option i would use.r
A virtual server tends to be where one server is used to run a few OSs virtualised each as seemingly being a separate server, but sharing the same hardware.

Regarding the game itself: any MMORPG server (software) will need quite a bit of resources, and needs to be run directly on the server (system), requiring shell access, which free hosting doesn't have, so free hosting is definitely ruled out. I don't know whether the VPS contract allows you to run a game server, but it's probably best to have a dedicated server if you are serious about running such a server. If you want to run a proper game server it's probably a good idea to learn quite a bit about networking, the way the internet etc. works so you can run a good service...

meyfei

Reaction score
I guess if anything i could try making a Blade Mistress Forum, for those who like the game, and supply the download and hope a group comes together and decides to host some servers.

Though, I'm pretty new to x10 and dont know how i'd be able to make one :dunno:
I'll try looking for some tutorials, if i can find some.

playminigames

Reaction score
yes that game would require way to much resources, you would probably need a full dedicated server if you wanted a lot of users playing. i would try and find the people who designed the game to get help, because they know everything about how it works and how to set it up. but i really think you would need some team that is experienced to have a successful game. Good luck!

meyfei

Reaction score
Well, i foundout some good news:
""sooo......are their any servers left? or is it time to use SDK, server 2008, and visual c++ studio and reverse engineer a new one?""

Seems someone might make a server soon.

Is anyone familiar with server 2008 and SDK? First time i heard of those.

meyfei

Reaction score
Someone is willing to host a new server, however there is one problem.

Ronizam Nov. 02 2009 at 11:47 PM
I am working on trying to reverse the client version to work as a server version and then I have a server to run it on. Just have to figure out the first before the latter can happen. Let me know if you know anything about reversing the code.

I know nothing of reverse coding, anychance someone here would know, and could explain?

Last edited:

playminigames

Reaction score
reverse coding takes time, you have to look at say the client side and see what functions are in the game, and then create a server side for all of those functions. So it might be a while, and if you dont have any coding knowledge you arnt going to be able to help at all. I hope that someone is able to do this!

like2program

Reaction score
It would be much easier if you had a server which you could just read the packets off of or something along those lines. This is pretty much impossible, I would recommend you search for the server software instead.