Upcoming Free Support Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyrGecko

Reaction score
I suppose that I'm posting a bit late, but it might be a good idea to have a disclaimer somewhere for the person submitting the ticket. For stuff like "zomg, don't know where paid hosting is," there's not too much harm in a wrong answer, but if someone, for whatever reason, tells someone who isn't quite clear on things to go mess with their registry keys, they could be in trouble, heh.

Steven10172

Reaction score
I suppose that I'm posting a bit late, but it might be a good idea to have a disclaimer somewhere for the person submitting the ticket. For stuff like "zomg, don't know where paid hosting is," there's not too much harm in a wrong answer, but if someone, for whatever reason, tells someone who isn't quite clear on things to go mess with their registry keys, they could be in trouble, heh.

Only you would do something like that. And I like this idea.

zen-r

Reaction score

There is clearly only 1 solution to this problem.

My advice to you, WyrGecko, is to go mess with your registry keys.

(Disclaimer: no liability will be incurred by zen-r or x10hosting.com for any advice given in error, or given maliciously!) ;)

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I think the one big concern everyone has with this system is the ability for misinformation to work it's way in. I figure, there's a few things that will keep our users safe:

1) Anyone going around maliciously trying to ruin accounts will be caught very quickly by both peers on the forum and admins, so the incidents would be few and far between. That person would be lucky to harm one member, let alone many.
2) There will always be some bad advice, even if good intentioned. There have been plenty of times I have seen flat out wrong information posted in the forums. So, really, there's no change to our current system. But, since the new system will be a much more formal and serious environment, I think the amount of "official helpers" will increase and these errors will be caught quicker than currently.
3) There will always be admins around to fix things in the worst case scenario. So even if a user screws up something, we can bring in the big guns and fix just about anything, except data loss. But hey, how many times do we need to tell people to back up your friggin' site? Especially when you're having a big problem with it. R1soft isn't going to hurt either :p

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
1) Anyone going around maliciously trying to ruin accounts will be caught very quickly by both peers on the forum and admins, so the incidents would be few and far between. That person would be lucky to harm one member, let alone many.

I'm sure these people will get eliminated pretty quickly, especially if I'm around. I've sort of gained a reputation around here as the "x10 Cop" after what I did to Zubair12 and loveispoison.

zapzack

Reaction score
Adam you should put this in your signature..

hoboken-police-car-animated-sm.gif

:p

johndass

Reaction score
We can have a way for affected users to report helpers who have given them ill advice.

This way, helpers will take all care to give proper and complete information, and also to remind users seeking help to make sure BACKUP things before taking action. This will also enhance the quality of service rendered.

Or we can have some standard fixed signature in that thread that reminds users to BACKUP and take care when changing registry entries or applying fixes, for example.

frins

Reaction score
This it'll be great for the support staff and for us because the staff will reply faster.
Thanks again.

Elesarr

Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of people posting in this thread are concerned about "ill advice" - the majority of questions that are asked in the Community Support Forums are about the servers themselves and why one can't log-in etc. And if it does require advanced steps that an Admin needs to address well then that support request goes back to the ticket system.

There are separate boards that are specifically for questions regarding software and script usage/installation.

If I understand Corey's OP, then one can't really give "bad" advice when it comes to why someone can't log in or why the servers are slow, or how do I access my account, upload files etc, etc and none of these will ever require registry editing in any way, shape or form. Nor is suggesting that someone read the news threads about current issues going to mess up one's computer ;)

If its server related only admins can do something about the servers, there should never be anything changed except perhaps ftp settings on the end-users machine.

When it comes to changing things on one's computer or receiving bad advice I'd be more concerned about these boards:

Site Design & Development

Perhaps I'm way off base, but I think there is a lot of unnecessary concerns, I helped a lot during the server migrations and none of the answers required anything that would give someone worry their computer would be messed up or data loss.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm way off base, but I think there is a lot of unnecessary concerns, I helped a lot during the server migrations and none of the answers required anything that would give someone worry their computer would be messed up or data loss.

I agree with you that most of the time, the type of advice given will not leave space for bad advice. However there are exceptions. The only example I have in mind is when it is needed to flush the dns registry. It would be easy for a helper to write a list of commands that the user would simply have to copy back in the command prompt. It would be easy to "hide" a malicious command in there...
But then again, to be able to be an official helper, you have to prove that you are worthy of being trusted... and there are moderators...

Okay, I've just convinced myself that there are no real important problem with ill and bad advice... how :nuts: is that!

t3rmin4t0r

Reaction score
Hmm yea its gud to know about new ticket system. Surely wil make a good effect. Thanks :)

johndass

Reaction score
Yes, it is really a good idea to have the community support give a helping hand as at most times they would have also encountered the same problems before and it is a good way to give back.

About the bad advice, I agree that it is not something serious, but it is always good to have a footnote to ensure help seekers take the responsibility and caution when accepting assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.