Using Free Hosting: Can I mask the URL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanrif

Reaction score
I have used 123reg for a few years and want to keep that url. The problem is that I can link that URL to my free x10 account but it does not mask the URL.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
What exactly do you want to do?
You have bananas.x10host.com here.
You have a custom domain bananas.com you bought at 123reg.
Do you want to host bananas.com here?
What are you doing now?

urbanrif

Reaction score
First off, Thanks for replying.

Yes based on your theory; can I link my custom domain bananas.com url I bought at 123reg to my bananas.x10host.com here?

m001d

Reaction score
Do the Addon domain as the above post suggested and map it to the root /public_html folder. It will work. I just set it up that way too. Don't forget to update your domain to point to name servers ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com too and wait for them to resolve.

urbanrif

Reaction score
I do not understand with the included name sevrers. Please can someone do me a step by step starting from step 1. login to cpanel step 2. etc

Please this is very hard otherwise. I been trying all day but no luck.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Step 1: Go to 123reg's website and login to your domain account.
Step 2: Change the nameservers set in your domain account to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com
Step 3: Go login to your cPanel here at x10hosting
Step 4: Scroll down to the Domains section and click on Parked Domains.
Step 5: Fill out the info there to direct your domain name to your website. The link to the thread that descalzo gave you was an explanation on giving you an understanding of how to use the different ways of using domain names in your webhosting account. From what I've seen of this thread so far, I'm assuming that your best option is to use your domain name as a parked domain.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Thank you for replying your posts are very helpful.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Second pic. You only need to fill out 2 nameserver slots, not 4. (notice that their default only uses 2)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You want to be checking the name servers, not "creating name servers based on your domain." that is something different entirely.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Leafpiggy, if the ways posted above are wrong and I am still unable to do it, could you please share how it can be done?

I have tried so many times and failed.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
In the first pic, where you show that you see the name servers of your registrar, that is where you want to remove the default name servers from your registrar and put in the x10hosting ones instead.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
about 16:55 2014-02-19 UTC
at URL [ http://urbanriffsunplugged.co.uk/ ] - I see --> "Welsh born Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist/Stevan Jones/Artist Urban Riffs." - and other stuff

EDIT: what I see is not at x10hosting - sorry I did not look at the IP before

Last edited:

urbanrif

Reaction score
Thanks for replies, yes it is currently linked to the 123 reg site builder NOT x10hosting. I am good with music, theory of music etc but for the life of me cannot get this url linked to my x10 files. lol

I have followed the steps below and changed the 123reg name servers in pic 1 to x10 servers:
Step 1: Go to 123reg's website and login to your domain account.
Step 2: Change the nameservers set in your domain account to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com
Step 3: Go login to your cPanel here at x10hosting
Step 4: Scroll down to the Domains section and click on Parked Domains.
Step 5: Fill out the info there to direct your domain name to your website. The link to the thread that descalzo gave you was an explanation on giving you an understanding of how to use the different ways of using domain names in your webhosting account. From what I've seen of this thread so far, I'm assuming that your best option is to use your domain name as a parked domain.

- I realize I have to wait up to 48hrs for things to start working, so fingers crossed it be done soon so I get back to music and my new album.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, the DNS propagation seems to be nearly complete.
But you have a redirect loop that makes your site impossible to reach.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Maybe that is why I have a redirect loop. is there anything else I could do?

BTW, thanks for all your help to get me this far including the story about the farmer and his potatoes which I enjoyed :)

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Redirecting the domain to itself will cause an infinite redirect loop. Remove the redirection.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Thank you 'leafypiggy', removing the redirection did the trick.

Thanks so much to all that replied, your time and help is much appreciated. I will be sure to add a link to x10hosting in my site footer. You peeps are highly recommended from here and I will recommend you to my music friends who also run websites.

BTW, I love the name 'leafypiggy' no idea what it means but its different. ;)

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you 'leafypiggy', removing the redirection did the trick.

aey4yd.png

My website is now up and running from http://www.urbanriffsunplugged.co.uk/

Thanks so much to all that replied, your time and help is much appreciated. I will be sure to add a link to x10hosting in my site footer. You peeps are highly recommended from here and I will recommend you to my music friends who also run websites.

BTW, I love the name 'leafypiggy' no idea what it means but its different. ;)
Haha there's a story behind the name. But it's rather long and confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.