Virus Alerts

v4xde

Reaction score
Hi All,

I cannot understand what is happening to my PC.

I had Zone Alarm installed, and could access the Microsoft and Comodo, or any other antivirus software producer.

I had to uninstall Zone Alarm because it was consumming loads of memory.

So I installed AVG, and Comodo Firewall.

OOOOOOOOO It got worse, a waping 700Kb RAM and 99% constant running of fans etc.

After 2 days, I decided to get to the Comodo website and download updates, nothing, could not access as it took several minutes and nothing. Error message says, Server not found.

The same with Microsoft, AVG, and other sites that have antivirus software.

I now got back to Zone Alarm, but the problem accessing this websites still there.

Do I have a virus?? both comodo, AVG, and Zone Alarm say, No.

Do I have roots? May be if I am thinkin g as tree.... lol

Well it is not a joke, but I need to maintain my head sain.

Any Help please.
V

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have had any need to deal with virus / firewall software as I currently have Ubuntu OS on PC. However, it sounds to me like something is mis-configured, most likely with whatever firewall software you are using now. I read your post several times but I am still unclear about what anti virus and firewall software you have on your system now, but some firewall programs can become resource hogs and cause major issues with browsing the Internet if not properly configured. I used AVG AV before I got rid of windows several years ago and several Windoze friends still use it with no problems. And I very rarely had firewall software running on my former Windows system - just av - and never had any problems with resources, configuration, or virus.

v4xde

Reaction score
Ok,

System settings:

XP, 1Gb RAM, Now with Back to Zone Alarm Security Suite v 6.5....., it contains its own antivirus.

Now with firefox portble with a wopping 90Mb RAM usage, the system still using only 430Mb RAM Total, according to Task Manager.

I cannot change OS because I work with programs that only work on windows.

I am better with the RAM, but still cannot access microsoft website or comodo, or AVG websites.
I have noticed that program wiaup.exe keeps poping up trying to access a site IP each time different. So I block.
v

steronius

Reaction score
possibly reset (clear) all your firewall settings and start fresh... I'm unsure if zone alarm is better than it was about 4 years back, but due to massive fails upon uninstalling, i added it to my "i dont like it" list.

Last edited:

meskarune

Reaction score
install linux on your computer. Then all your problems will be fixed.

deltavolt

Reaction score
@Meskarune: He's already said he can't do that.

I have a friend who ran into a similar problem, he did have a virus and ended up having to reinstall his OS. I think he said it was the Conflicker worm.

Second thing, you should probably upgrade the amount of RAM you have. I can't even imagine running on 1 GB.

Last edited:

steronius

Reaction score
@v4xde, running linux at home now...

for XP you can consider, pctools.com's firewall. may have to set firewall to advanced/manual mode and hack around with settings. really i usually end up just using xp's built in firewall, but i have used pctool's firewall happily in the past.

renr3n

Reaction score
I recommend Panda Cloud and Immunet if you stick to Windows. They are cloud-based anti-viruses. They use very small memory footprint.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you aren't supposed to run 2 firewalls, same way as you aren't supposed to use 2 anti-virus programs at the same time? Or am I wrong?

Also, I would suggest the latest version of avast, as it includes web scanner, email scanner, chat scanner etc, as none of the other programs do.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you aren't supposed to run 2 firewalls, same way as you aren't supposed to use 2 anti-virus programs at the same time? Or am I wrong?

Also, I would suggest the latest version of avast, as it includes web scanner, email scanner, chat scanner etc, as none of the other programs do.

You can run two firewalls, but they cannot be on your PC. One PC firewall, one Network Firewall.

meskarune

Reaction score
"I cannot change OS because I work with programs that only work on windows."

FYI , you can install and use windows programs in linux. Like microsoft office, photoshop and dreamweaver, winamp, etc. And if you are referring to games... TONS of games work under linux, including WoW, Starcraft, fallout, etc. (though with one gig of ram I wouldn't expect you to be playing fallout...)

My netbook has a gig of ram on it and its quiet speedy. I currently have 142 running processes, and I'm using only 20% of cpu resources, 40% of memory. This includes a music player, browser, notes program, desktop calendar and weather, icon bar, IM client and irc client.

How fast your computer runs depends entirely on what software you use. Try to only use lightweight programs. Use chrome or opera browser. Check out the portable apps version of software. Don't have anything start on start up.

I would agree that panda cloud is really great for low resource use computers.

As for viruses....it sounds like one of your programs is blocking the others. You should only have one anti-virus program running at a time. And using windows firewall is totally fine since most internet connection are behind a router anyway.

In any case you'll probably have to re-install with either windows or linux to get your computer back into shape. And then you need to keep system resource use as low as possible from the start.

My arch linux desktop: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meskarune/4813627105/

paultw

Reaction score
Did you try and set internet explorer to its default settings.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Haha. Windows apps in linux is primarily awful requiring me to mess with stuff to get sound working. And then the entire os broke. This year isn't the year of Linux mass adoption on the desktop.

krofunk

Reaction score
windows emulation on linux can be heavily affected by your hardware, most windows apps work right away with wine on my linux box