Virus through Facebook?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yeah, at school, we use Faronics Deep freeze, a software that reset the computer back to how it was after restarting the computer. We got local admin rights on the computers, but when we reboot, it get reset.
My school just blocks all administrator actions.

Well I heard, (but I don't know ift it true, I will test it at home :) ) that you could get around Deep freeze by booting the computer in safe mode, do what you want to do, and reboot. Because I don't think the service would load up in safe mode. (Ok I won't say any more about that, as I could get introube for hacking the system)
I'm sure Deep Freeze has worked around that, if they're a professional company who updates their software.

memoryz

Reaction score
It is possible, hackers can easily get into the facebook database, im not talking about skiddies, im talking about real dedicated hackers.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a virus from Facebook before. I accept all incoming cookies, but I have an advertisement blocker, if that helps at all, seeing as all the malicious content comes from the advertisements, not the actual Facebook website.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure Deep Freeze has worked around that, if they're a professional company who updates their software.

I actually know of a three key boot time solute (not Ctrl + Alt + Del) that will prevent all 3rd party programs including DeepFreeze from starting up at Boot. It's a Windows function that DeepFreeze can't stop unless DeepFreeze is loaded inside of the Kernal or the drive is locked by DeepFreeze.

Last edited:

like2program

Reaction score
One facebook virus I have seen is one where you receive a notification from a friend. You click on the link and allow the application. Once you do so, it steals your private information and spams your friends with the same messages. So fa haven't clicked any of them. Is this what you are referencing?

Danielx386

Reaction score
Yeah, I seen that on twitter, you log into some app, and it just spam everyone

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
One facebook virus I have seen is one where you receive a notification from a friend. You click on the link and allow the application. Once you do so, it steals your private information and spams your friends with the same messages. So fa haven't clicked any of them. Is this what you are referencing?

No, I'm talking about a virus, Trojan, worm, etc. An actual computer virus.

master257

Reaction score
Its not a virus heh its called a phising scam, they simply click a link that tells them their login has timed out, and dont pay attention the web address they are currently on. Once they try to "login" again they will be taken back to the real facebook home and in term will have their user and pass recorded so they can too spread the message, its not a virus its your own stupidity heh..

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Its not a virus heh its called a phising scam, they simply click a link that tells them their login has timed out, and dont pay attention the web address they are currently on. Once they try to "login" again they will be taken back to the real facebook home and in term will have their user and pass recorded so they can too spread the message, its not a virus its your own stupidity heh..
You hit the nail on the head. Most computer viruses and other security problems are caused through social engineering, changing it from a computer/software to user problem, i.e. the problem is sitting in front of the screeen. Those who don't know how to use a computer properly are those getting viruses since they tend to be the most gullible. And a lot of people don't know how to use computers, so ...

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

If you find any of these websites, and they are hosted on the x10Hosting domain, please private message them to me (or any other admin, for that matter, but I tend to have the fastest response time :p).

Danielx386

Reaction score
^ Wait, didn't Cory or the other staff say not to PM then unless asked to do so? Just asking.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
^ Wait, didn't Cory or the other staff say not to PM then unless asked to do so? Just asking.

Yes, actually, none of us like getting PMs asking for help.

There's probably better alternatives than PMing the URL to administrators or me, such as instant messaging me, creating a new thread on the forums under "Feedback and Suggestions," etc.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
^ Point taken, adding that email address to my address book

Add my email address to your address book too, as long as I'm at home in front of my computer, I usually respond to emails within a few minutes. :p

kkenny

Reaction score
I guess to report abusive websites on x10, you could make a support ticket. But sometimes grabbing ahold of an admin on IRC isn't a bad idea.