Virus :(

focus

Reaction score
I somehow managed to get a virus.
I then ran malware to remove it but it didnt find anything so then i restarted my computer and now it wont start up. I select 'Start up window using previous working settings' when the menu pops up windows then loads but a blue screen quickly flashes (2 fast for me to read) and then my computer.
I tried booting in safemode but no luck...

The virus/spyware is called somthing Shield (I think My Security Shield)... and is a blue little icon on the right hand corner which scanned and told me that i needed to purchase a program to remove it.

Does anyone have any idea's on how i can manage to boot up my computer? Once booted i will be able to remove it...

I also tried Repairing it using the windows XP CD but no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out this post. I work on computers at my company and I run in to a lot of these. This page says "smart engine" but that virus is the same just with a different name to it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-engine

Just follow the instructions to the letter and it'll be gone.
But if you can't start the computer and get to the desktop then the only other option is to re-install windows. :(

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
There's still viruses for Linux. They're just not as common and if you aren't doing stupid things such as giving your root password to unknown programs and not patching your machine, and of course, running as root, getting a machine infected should be rather hard with Linux.

Just download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free Edition, and SUPERAntiSpyware. Run the full scans for both programs and you should be good to go.

If you don't have Anti-Virus software that is active or installed, I strongly suggest either Panda Cloud AV or Avast! . Both have free versions of the programs which will do the trick and have great detection rates.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still can't boot (and the bluescreen can't be read)

Mash F8 as you boot your computer.

Then select the option "Disable automatic shutdown after system failure" (or something along those lines)

Then if and when it bluescreens, you can read the error. :p

I had to do this just the other night.

Also:

Using the install disk, boot it, and then press R to boot to recovery console.

Select your installation (C:\WINDOWS , normally), and enter your administration password (blank for none).

FIXBOOT C:
then:
FIXMBR
then:

CHKDSK /R

Use this as a last resort. :)

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Using a linux distro such us Ubuntu or Puppy (some versions or 'puplets' have antivirus software pre-loaded) to boot the PC from the hard drive and then run the scan is a good way to to remove stubborn virus software from the windows operating system. Attempting a live fix on the infected O/S can be an excercise in futility as some malware varients can evade and even prevent antivirus from being installed.

As Smith6612 points out Linux is not completely immune to virus attack, just more resistant and a lot of that resistance depends on the individual setup. Truly paranoid users run the O/S in RAM and dump it after each session, starting the PC with a fresh copy every time it re-boots.

Mac owners reading this can also wipe that smug grin off their face because viruses have been developed for them as well.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
linux will disappoint you everytime :p maybe not with virus and malware problem but with installation and its limitations. I am tired and frustrated. :mad: because of linux.

benleeder16

Reaction score
linux will disappoint you everytime :p maybe not with virus and malware problem but with installation and its limitations. I am tired and frustrated. :mad: because of linux.

Which distros have you tried? I have found almost everything to work flawlessly and anything that didn't with a quick search on the forums it was solved easily. The support is fantastic. What limitations :confused:

marveloo

Reaction score
I think the best protection from the virus if through " KASPER SKY", try it also save a reset system point for any problems and data

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The "just run Linux" advice is easy to give, but often difficult to take. Remember, people, that the OS is the least important aspect of the computer to most users -- it's the applications that make the difference. The GIMP is not Photoshop; Inkscape is not Illustrator; Blender is not 3dsMax or Maya; Oo_O Calc is not Excel. An easier answer, I suppose, would be "go Mac" -- but that's expensive (requires hardware as well as software) and disruptive to an established workflow (have you ever tried right-clicking on a Mac?).

Booting to Linux from a separate drive to fix a Windows virus can be a viable solution -- it is devilishly difficult to remove a virus that has patched itself into the OS you're using while trying to remove it.

Running antivirus programs in general can only protect you from known types of virus/malware. If you run into a new virus today, it really doesn't help that the signatures database and heuristics for your AV will be updated first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, you're operating with a false sense of security and likely to do things that invite new infections.

The best solution (although it's too late to help with the OP's problem) is to back up frequently, and to keep your executables well separated from your data. If you're rigorous about this, the worst that can ever happen (barring some major catastrophe that completely destroys your computer, your on-site backup drives and any off-site backups you may have) is that you lose a couple of hours work, or a new preference setting, or perhaps have to re-install a program you installed earlier that day.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
father4.jpg

When did you last see your backups?

jamesfreak

Reaction score
I somehow managed to get a virus.
I then ran malware to remove it but it didnt find anything so then i restarted my computer and now it wont start up. I select 'Start up window using previous working settings' when the menu pops up windows then loads but a blue screen quickly flashes (2 fast for me to read) and then my computer.
I tried booting in safemode but no luck...

The virus/spyware is called somthing Shield (I think My Security Shield)... and is a blue little icon on the right hand corner which scanned and told me that i needed to purchase a program to remove it.

Does anyone have any idea's on how i can manage to boot up my computer? Once booted i will be able to remove it...

I also tried Repairing it using the windows XP CD but no luck.

Well if you're unable to start your computer then I think you should format your C drive and install a fresh copy of windows... It'll surely remove the virus...

devon.bagley67

Reaction score
You can also try the ultimate boot cd for win, if you have a friend that will build the disk for you or let you use their comp to do it.