VPS newbie questions

tazz-99

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to this type of VPS where phpmyadmin isn't already pre-installed so have a few questions.

How can I install phpmyadmin?
Also, I purchased cPanel when I signed up, how can I view that? or is that the VPS control Panel?

Thanks

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You can access WHM at yourdomain.com:2086 (2087 for SSL).

From there you can add cPanel accounts and configre from there.

It seems you have little to no experience with Linux and/or a VPS. If you haven't looked into it, I might suggest a managed VPS plan with us (includes cPanel and setup + support)

tazz-99

Reaction score
Hi there,

My domain nameservers are currently pointing towards another server, I tried to change them to the nameservers I used during set up and it didn't work.

If I could afford to pay for managed VPS I really would, but unfortunately I'm going to have to work this out for myself, hopefully with some guidance from the forum.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Hi,

All I need is the correct nameservers for my domain to point to, phpmyadmin for all my database stuff, and an ftp type setup.

After I have those 3 there will never be a need for me to change or install any more.

So if anyone can help me with these three things, i'll be set for life and not have to change server providers to someone who can help me without charging me for a managed server.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am also ready to help. I have setup my vps but i have no experience with WHM/cPanel. Don't know how these things work.

tazz-99

Reaction score
Hi,

My last host just took a few seconds to install phpmyadmin for me, and it was done.
I swapped hosts because they were fussy about resource usage on my old code.

Now I am here, thinking that because your free hosting was amazing and came with a cPanel, that your VPS hosting would be decent too.

I purchased the cPanel because that is what I am used to, but cannot access it :/

Should I open a support ticket?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Could you please tell me your domain?

and yes it takes few seconds to install phpmyadmin in a server :p

tazz-99

Reaction score
Hi,

http://www.varamexia.com

But my nameservers won't be pointing to my VPS yet as I do not know what the nameservers are. I've tried the ones I signed up with and that didn't work.

Thanks

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
did you try using your ip address in place of domain?

I am not sure whether it should work or not but just give it a try.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ah forgot to tell that to setup your own nameservers you need at least two ip address. If you don't have two ip address you need to use some free services like dyndns.com

tazz-99

Reaction score
No the IP address don't work either.

I have created one on the website suggested, but how do I apply it to my VPS?

Thanks.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you have access to your WHM/cPanel now?

tazz-99

Reaction score
I have the IP address working now, and can access cPanel n all.

I'm still stuck with the nameservers and FTP though

Anyone able to guide me?

Thanks.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
If you would like to run your own nameservers, you'll need an additional IP ($1/month), and you'll also need to set up BIND or a similar service.

If you choose to use a service like dyndns.com, simply set your nameservers to them, and then you'll be able to manage DNS records. An A record on www.yoursite.com to the IP address of your server will make the domain point to your server.

For example, my main site, neilhanlon.com is hosted at x10 on a staff server (shared hosting). I use x10's nameservers, and have an A record set to my VPS for labs.neilhanlon.com.

Works like a charm.

tazz-99

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, I cannot work out the dyndns.com, so I will have to purchase another IP address. How can I go about doing this?
It is not in my control panel.

Thank you.

b3n199

Reaction score
sorry,, i'd like to ask how much traffic vps can handle compare with share hosting

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends on the guarenteed and burstable RAM of the VPS package. If you use too much memory usage, your VPS will be rebooted (no data lost, but any scripts running will be killed).

It also depends on how intensive the script is on RAM and CPU.

b3n199

Reaction score
i see, how much traffic a day shared hosted can handle. if i get 100 people online at the same time are share hosted service still okay?

thank you for your reply

tomtiger11

Reaction score
Well, it still depends on the script, but with a not-very intensive script, it should be fine!