Web Designing Languages

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Is there any other possible language to make web pages other than HTML or XML??
Since you posted this in graphics and webdesign how can you forget CSS.I don't know any, it is xml which is being used everywhere, thanks to its extensibility.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You could use Flash, but I seriously don't recommend it as:
1. It is slow and clunky for some users (Mac).
2. CSS and HTML can do pretty much everything just as well in terms of design.
Basically, it's best to stick to HTML and CSS.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
You could use Flash, but I seriously don't recommend it as:
1. It is slow and clunky for some users (Mac).
2. CSS and HTML can do pretty much everything just as well in terms of design.
Basically, it's best to stick to HTML and CSS.

Adding to what lemon-tree said, use javascript - it can do everything flash does :)

~Callum

walidno1

Reaction score
This is the thing.........

HTML and CSS---for normal websites with little visual effects but enough to make a very good professional site
Javascript: script language for the client side effects........add loads of visual effects, doesn't hamper ur SEO rating that much and such
PHP and MY SQL: allow server side effects.......process data that has been sent by users, save data etc.

Using these 4 script languages, u can make almost any site u wud want.........once u master javascript/php, learning the other languages get pretty easy!!

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
XHTML, asp.net (I guess), JSP (x10 doesn't have tomcat support), and that's about all I can think of..

But I'm pretty sure asp.net uses XHTML, and idk about JSP..

Btw: you shouldn't be using HTML or XML. XHTML is the only one currently fully supported. In a few years, It will be the only language acceptable for websites. HTML and XML are gone.. Also: you could go the HTML5 route, but it's only really useful for iPhone web apps..

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
XHTML, asp.net (I guess), JSP (x10 doesn't have tomcat support), and that's about all I can think of..

But I'm pretty sure asp.net uses XHTML, and idk about JSP..

Btw: you shouldn't be using HTML or XML. XHTML is the only one currently fully supported. In a few years, It will be the only language acceptable for websites. HTML and XML are gone.. Also: you could go the HTML5 route, but it's only really useful for iPhone web apps..

asp.net and JSP both outputs (x)HTML, as does PHP

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Not quite. XHTML is what is "gone". While it is acceptable to use XHTML 1.0, it is really just a transitional type since it uses the "text/html" MIME type and normal HTML form handling. XHTML 1.1 was never fully supported, and XHTML 2.0 is a dead end that will never be fully implemented. (There are intractable problems with document representation in "pure" XML, such as the fact that there is no particular reason why one paragraph should appear before another since both are siblings of equal status in the XML data document.) XHTML's successor is (X)HTML 5. (XHTML 5 is a markup-only variant requiring that all tags, including unary tags like BR and IMG, be closed.)

I'm not really sure that server-side development languages are germaine to the question, since their purpose is to create (X)HTML, bringing us back to the original question.

If the OP's purpose in life is to avoid learning HTML, then using a CMS like Wordpress, Joomla or Django might be a way around the hard parts. At their most basic (and with the right template) they are not that much different from using a word processor. The result, in any case, will either be (X)HTML, SVG (an XML dialect) or Flash hosted on an (X)HTML page. HTML is the core of the web -- there's no way to escape it without building a new client.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, should have said XHTML 1.1 or XHTML 5.

I use XHTML1.1 Strict... and it's pretty much accepted.. it just hates my form elements. :p

hezuo

Reaction score
Just stick to html, css and ajax. there's no need of flash unless you want to show video

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Any more ideas??

Get a good book of web design for further ideas. :D

As everyone said html, ajax and css is enough for design.If you know any other technology important for design then tell us, except flash and silverlight.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Any more ideas??
There aren't any others really, the browser is designed to interpret only HTML (plus a few others) and to design websites it is your only main option. If you feel that coding it all yourself is beyond what you want to do then perhaps you could consider a WYSIWYG environment where it will create the code for you based upon your inputted design.
As everyone said html, ajax and css is enough for design
You mean Javascript, not AJAX. AJAX is merely a technique that is used within Javascript to communicate with the server.

miguelkp

Reaction score
How about Ruby on Rails? It outputs (I think) XHTML but it's a quite different way to do things. Maybe you should give it a try.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Using Ruby on Rails is a bit convoluted for a first time programmer and the use of HTML or one of its derivatives is still necessary anyway for creating any form of web output.

striker9099

Reaction score
Well you have to differentiate between two things first... 1. The mark-up languages (I do not know whether you can call them "languages" in the first place) such as HTML/CSS/XML, and 2. The programming languages such as PHP, ASPX, Ruby, Java, Python, Javascript (scripting language)... etc. There are also frameworks such as the .NET framework (by Microsoft), Ruby On Rails, JSP (a Java framework), jQuery (Javascript framework), and some other PHP frameworks such as CakePHP, Symphony, Zend... etc.

Anyway, you cannot use anything other than HTML and CSS to layout and style a webpage, and that is because the browsers were built to render HTML content. Whether you're building a static page (using strictly HTML/CSS and probably Javascript), or a dynamic one using a server-side language (with or without a framework), it all going to end up being translated into HTML and CSS.

Flash is another story, and no you cannot do everything that is done in Flash using HTML/CSS and Javascript. That's a lie.