Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mix of tool and manual

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • Mix of Buy and Manual

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'I use dreamweaver'. Posts should say why you like it and why you don't like the other or why you think this, and why you think that person is wrong etc. etc.

wolfy67

Reaction score
I've been using HTML Beauty for coding. Nicer than notepad as it highlights tags and remembers some scripts. I prefer to code myself; trying to learn HTML and CSS is impossible if another program does it for me.

I use third party stuff (like jalbum for the photos) for the myriad of things I can't yet do on my own. Would like to get there one day though.

scorch94

Reaction score
trying to learn HTML and CSS is impossible if another program does it for me.

I don't agree with that one.
Watching how Dreamweaver adds markup a few years ago taught me basics of HTML ;)
But all depends of style you learn.

worldwise001

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver, but I code it all by hand in the Code window.

Why don't I use notepad? I have bad eyesight (legally blind without my glasses), so the color-coding helps. I also like the integrated file manager/ftp client in Dreamweaver. Especially helps you find the missing quotation mark, missing end tags, or missing end <?php ?> tags.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I use the WYSIWYG editor, Nvu. i'm trying to get a copy of Dreamweaver, but it's not working out to great. I know that Nvu sucks, but my websites look even crappier if I code them myself. I know HTML and tiny bit of CSS anyway, so I can just add in the meta-tags and everything else like that myself in TextEdit.

Hakosho

Reaction score
I make my own, easyer and I get what I want. I use to use Frontpage, then I got into web design and its allot easier then you think it would be. Try it without Dreamweaver, Just straight coding. You would have to use a program to make graphics and flash is you wanted it.

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I mostly code the code by hand, in notepad, CPanel. Sometimes, I use the code tab in Visual Studio Web Express 2008 or Expression Studio Web Beta 2.0 since I don't want to pay for Dreamweaver or the paying version of the two software mentioned before.
I also sometime use already made opensource software such as joomla or phpbb and modify them and integrate them in my website or the other way around.
I also hardly ever use graphic or flash making programs since one of my friend is a web graphic designer and another is a flash coder.

fempower

Reaction score
I prefer to code myself as much as possible, because programs leave a lot of bloat and I want to keep pages small as possible (to cut down on transfer usage, and since I'm on dialup for now and don't appreciate extra stuff). But since it's stupid to reinvent the wheel, I use free scripts when possible, checking for any suspect code first.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
In the simplest form I always use manual, using notepad++, BUT when it comes to things like a forum, a blog or something that would require a bit more scripted pages then plain html, I always look for a good, free one that I can use. (I simply dunno how to code those things)

jaco_don

Reaction score
Well I use MsFrontpage ... As I am not a Pro .. but will learn Photoshop and Dreamweaver soon

Kenny80

Reaction score
In the rare instance that I actually do code something myself, I use dreamweaver because I have grown fond of the split mode, and it just is really easy and efficient. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll edit the markup directly in the control panel, depending on my host.

Xero852

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver (WordPad for small edits) because it CAN do EVERYTHING. If something doesn't work the easy way (designer view) you switch to the code and MAKE it work.

I don't really see why people associate it as a newbie/beginners program. It has a ton of useful features when you're coding, and the designer view is helpful if you don't want to have to tab into a web browser to preview your work. The designer view also makes adding and formatting text a breeze.

TheMan177

Reaction score
I've used Dreamweaver in the past, and sure, it's a pretty solid app, however I think it just seems to take the feeling of control away from me. That's why I prefer 'manual' coding.

mujtaba91

Reaction score
I prefer coding in Notepad...
even though i had started with dreamweaver but trust me...
The freedom you get in hand coding is no match to dreamweaver...

Aurayu

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver (WordPad for small edits) because it CAN do EVERYTHING. If something doesn't work the easy way (designer view) you switch to the code and MAKE it work.

I don't really see why people associate it as a newbie/beginners program. It has a ton of useful features when you're coding, and the designer view is helpful if you don't want to have to tab into a web browser to preview your work. The designer view also makes adding and formatting text a breeze.

I find this also true. In the poll where you say Dreamweaver or other tool it seems to be associated as a begginers program which doesnt use a code view?

Its easy to use. I use it mostly for its Code view and easy switch between views so i can see what my website looks like without opening my internet browser and loading the page.

Where you said dreamweaver and other tools i believe you are talking about dreamweavers ability to create websites with little coding knowledge?

danjay

Reaction score
Although Im new to web design I like to create my layout in Photoshop CS4 then use the slice tool then save as an html file, then import into Dreamweaver then from there I link up my pages. I find it easier to use photoshop for creating layouts, you can also add better effects. :hahano:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Nothing is better than using notepad to code your site :)

dvanillailla

Reaction score
How would you prefer to make a website?
Do you just use a tool like dream weaver?
Do you code it all yourself?
Do you use a mix?
Do you pay someone else to do it for you?
I want to know!

If you just copy and pasted that counts as buying it but for free
I prefer to use dreamweaver for some work, but I always find my self clicking the HTML source button. There is nothing better then a tool, but a tool can be abused. I believe a website must be hard coded, or if you use a tool like DreamWeaver by Adobe, you cannot just use the tool for the whole site. That's not heard of for a true website. Tools like Joomla are good, but for a full website, I don't think so.

Falkoner

Reaction score
I like to either write out how it's going to look or even sometimes use photoshop to get an idea of the general layout, then I get out Notepad++ and start coding.