What do you think of my website logo?

free bbt

Reaction score
Ok after a few more tweaks here is the current version:

bbforlogofinal.png

This is most likely the final version unless anyone has any more suggestions?

free bbt

Reaction score
It is good but how long dose it take to load when the connection is of 15 kbps?
Well to directly answer your question:

It is 128.5KB. Convert that to bits is 1028Kb. So 1028Kb downloaded at 15 kbps is 68 seconds.

However where did you get 15kbps from? Even 15 years ago you couldn't get internet connections that slow. Most people internet connection is 3 orders of magnitude faster than that (ie, 1,000 x).

And plus my site is Exclusively tailored to people that own blackberries (and higher end blackberries at that). So it is Very unlikely that my traffic will be people with the slowest internet connections in the entire world.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Well to directly answer your question:

It is 128.5KB. Convert that to bits is 1028Kb. So 1028Kb downloaded at 15 kbps is 68 seconds.

However where did you get 15kbps from? Even 15 years ago you couldn't get internet connections that slow. Most people internet connection is 3 orders of magnitude faster than that (ie, 1,000 x).

And plus my site is Exclusively tailored to people that own blackberries (and higher end blackberries at that). So it is Very unlikely that my traffic will be people with the slowest internet connections in the entire world.

As a professional web developer/designer myself, its always good web development practice to ensure your site or client's site is user friendly, cross-browser compatible, and loads quickly no matter what the connection speed. Never assume that your site will only be visited by people with a really fast connection speed, and never assume that people are not far away from the server which adds to slower download speeds due to net congestion, etc. And you can never be really sure who visits your site unless it is password protected, deliberately hidden from search engines, and the link is only given to people that you want to have it. So the original question about the 15kbps is actually a valid and good one to ask ;)

As far as your logo goes, I find it to be a bit large, it will overwhelm your site, imho. While the basic idea is good, I'd scale back on the size a bit. Ultimately, the themes are what you want people to be interested where their focus should be when they visit your site, and your logo should complement your site not be the main focus of attention.

Personally, I'd simplify the text and not use so many effects, the drop shadow and gradient are fine, however the chrome effect is a bit over the top and you might want to lose the drop shadow behind the web address so that the text above it stands out and gives a better illusion of depth - follow what I mean? Also, I'm not a real fan of all the little black squares jumping out of the balckberry. You might consider toning it down and fading them out as they go over the text or removing them completely. I feel this would make a stronger image. Logos should not be "busy". When designing logos even complicated ones, the best rule of thumb to remember is: Less is More ;)

Hope my knowledge is of use to you, however ultimately it is your logo ;)

Cheers!

free bbt

Reaction score
As a professional web developer/designer myself, its always good web development practice to ensure your site or client's site is user friendly, cross-browser compatible, and loads quickly no matter what the connection speed. Never assume that your site will only be visited by people with a really fast connection speed, and never assume that people are not far away from the server which adds to slower download speeds due to net congestion, etc. And you can never be really sure who visits your site unless it is password protected, deliberately hidden from search engines, and the link is only given to people that you want to have it. So the original question about the 15kbps is actually a valid and good one to ask ;)

As far as your logo goes, I find it to be a bit large, it will overwhelm your site, imho. While the basic idea is good, I'd scale back on the size a bit. Ultimately, the themes are what you want people to be interested where their focus should be when they visit your site, and your logo should complement your site not be the main focus of attention.

Personally, I'd simplify the text and not use so many effects, the drop shadow and gradient are fine, however the chrome effect is a bit over the top and you might want to lose the drop shadow behind the web address so that the text above it stands out and gives a better illusion of depth - follow what I mean? Also, I'm not a real fan of all the little black squares jumping out of the balckberry. You might consider toning it down and fading them out as they go over the text or removing them completely. I feel this would make a stronger image. Logos should not be "busy". When designing logos even complicated ones, the best rule of thumb to remember is: Less is More ;)

Hope my knowledge is of use to you, however ultimately it is your logo ;)

Cheers!

I'm sorry but you say you are a professional web designer and that the question regarding 15kbps is relevant?

You design your sites for 15kbps connections? More that 99% of the sites in the world could not be reasonably viewed on a 15kbps connection. This site certainly could not.

1,000 kbps is slow by todays standards. NOBODY designs sites for 15kbps.

Elesarr

Reaction score
You seem to have a really poor attitude when asking for other people's opinion's. And you seem to have little understanding of anything I said to you in my post. We were specifically talking about your logo. No image should take any amount of time to download - just because you can make something big and bulky doesn't mean you should.

I would suggest in the future that since you know everything already that you not ask for critique on your work.

Cheers!

free bbt

Reaction score
You seem to have a really poor attitude when asking for other people's opinion's. And you seem to have little understanding of anything I said to you in my post. We were specifically talking about your logo. No image should take any amount of time to download - just because you can make something big and bulky doesn't mean you should.

I would suggest in the future that since you know everything already that you not ask for critique on your work.

Cheers!
Nope I don't, I have a Great attitude. You seem to have a rather thin skin and have missunderstood my posts.

There was no attitude in my posts, nor was there any lact of understanding of your posts. Let me try this again:

How long does my banner take to load on a 15kbps connection: 68S.
How long does my banner take to load on Any connection speed that anyone will Reasably have: 0S. Zero.

My site is 100% cross browser compatible and it optimized for all connection speeds.

In fact my site is actually designed to be visited on your cell phone. And mobile browsers are the worst when it comes to rendering images/layout correctly and have the slowest real world connection speed you are ever going to come across.

We both know my comment about 5kbps being unreasable was completely correct, so why do you seem to have your panties in a bunch?

I apreciate you Trying to help, but when you say things that are obviously 100% untrue that is not actually helping at all.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you really have a bad attitude. You asked "What we thought of it" they told you.

Not everyone has a blazing fast internet connection. When I'm at my church, doing tech work, I have 15kb/s. The router is ~750 feet away.

You're the one with your panties in a bunch. The user who asked the 15kb/s question asked a valid question, and you got in a bad mood and attitude because you didn't like what they had to say.

Personally, I don't like your logo at all. It's too large, and as others have CORRECTLY stated, it's too big and bulky for conventional web design. Scale it down, do something. The effects used are also pre-anything. No logo I've seen in a while has used bevels, thick shadows, etc. It's just not used in web 2.0. It's not standards anymore. If I brought a logo like that to my client, or my graphic design professor, they'd laugh at me.

Put bad in, get bad out.

I was even going to be nice in this post. But the fact that I had a seizure yesterday, and that you're just so damn cocky has put me over the edge. I'm going for a bike ride.

Good day Sir,

free bbt

Reaction score
No, you really have a bad attitude. You asked "What we thought of it" they told you.

Not everyone has a blazing fast internet connection. When I'm at my church, doing tech work, I have 15kb/s. The router is ~750 feet away.

You're the one with your panties in a bunch. The user who asked the 15kb/s question asked a valid question, and you got in a bad mood and attitude because you didn't like what they had to say.

Personally, I don't like your logo at all. It's too large, and as others have CORRECTLY stated, it's too big and bulky for conventional web design. Scale it down, do something. The effects used are also pre-anything. No logo I've seen in a while has used bevels, thick shadows, etc. It's just not used in web 2.0. It's not standards anymore. If I brought a logo like that to my client, or my graphic design professor, they'd laugh at me.

Put bad in, get bad out.

I was even going to be nice in this post. But the fact that I had a seizure yesterday, and that you're just so damn cocky has put me over the edge. I'm going for a bike ride.

Good day Sir,
Nope, I don't have a bad attitude you just missread the intent of my posts.

lol and no I certainly don't have my panties in a bunch, it takes way way way way way more than a couple harmless posts on an internet site to get me the least bit riled up.

What a coincidence your internet connection is exactly the speed that they were talking about :lol:

Bottom line, yes if anyone actually had a internet connection that slow then my banner/site would load slowly, but so would every other website in the world. NO website is designed for a 15kbps connection. EVER. ever, ever, ever, Period. Discussing optimizing a website for 15kbps would first mean removing ALL images and all scripts.

Isn't it G.I.G.O.? I've never heard "Put bad in, get bad out"

And you were going to to "be nice"? lol who cares. I am here for dialog and open and honest feedback, not here to have my ego stroked (there is definitely no need for that ;) ). So to you and everyone else: Be as mean or as hurtful as you want as long as you are being honest.

On to your feedback in regards to my logo:

You feel it is too big. Well, because of the website template I am using, that is the smallest it can be (see: http://freebbt.blogspot.com for what I mean by that). So I can't make it smaller, but I could certainly make it simpler?

Your comments seem to focus on my effects not being current. Honestly I could care less about what the current standard is, I am looking for something that fits my site and my product, what other websites are doing is irrelevant to me. So are you saying that it is not up to 2.0 standards and what you are learing in your graphic design class or that it truly doesn't look good? (obviously not the same thing) If it's the second do you have any recommendations on how exactly to make it look better?

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Your an idiot.

2. You say your site's designed for balckberry users, when it's almost too big for it (I tested it on my blackberry).

3. Suggestions for improvement: redesign it. Your logo looks like crap. That's my honest opinion. I wouldn't trust your site for my blackberry themes.

free bbt

Reaction score
1. Your an idiot.

2. You say your site's designed for balckberry users, when it's almost too big for it (I tested it on my blackberry).

3. Suggestions for improvement: redesign it. Your logo looks like crap. That's my honest opinion. I wouldn't trust your site for my blackberry themes.

1. You are welcome to your opinion. You are wrong.

2. "it's almost too big for it" Yes, ALMOST. So what you are saying is it is not too big and does fit. Perfect, that is what I was going for. Thanks for confirming that for me.

3. "Resign it" and it "looks like crap" is advice and your opinion, but certainly not very helpful. Although you have obviously gotten yourself all worked up for some reason so I wouldn't expect you to be helpful or give any useful advice at this point. And about not trusting my site for your BB themes, quite clearly that comment is coming from your (false) opinion of me not of my site, but it doesn't matter tens of thousands of people do use my site and if you don't want my free themes thats your loss not mine.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
So my opinions false because your a conceided bastard? Grow up.

Oh by the way. That should have said is too big for.

free bbt

Reaction score
So my opinions false because your a conceided bastard? Grow up.

Oh by the way. That should have said is too big for.
Your opinion is false because I am highly intelligent, therefore not an idiot. You are basing your statement on the fact that comments I made on a internet forum upset you, not on my intelligence (I still fail to see why you are so upset).

Conceited? Yes I am, and for good reason too. You say that like it is a bad thing.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Being conceded is a bad thing you naive idiot.

If you think you're so great, then why in the good lord's name would you ask for opinions on your work of you're already so great?

I'm done. Your not worth the fight. Good luck.

free bbt

Reaction score
Being conceded is a bad thing you naive idiot.

If you think you're so great, then why in the good lord's name would you ask for opinions on your work of you're already so great?

I'm done. Your not worth the fight. Good luck.
Nope, not naive either. Quite wise actually.

Honestly the conceited comment was said half joking as is most things I say. I am a very friendly happy jovial person, you on the other hand Appear to be very angry and maladjusted .I say appear because I am not going to make any assumptions like you keep doing, the only thing I can say about you for sure if that you are ignorant (that is not an insult, look it up if you have to). Honestly you should look into seeing a psychiatrist, they could help you get over your anger issues and help you stop taking the small things so seriously.

Why would I ask for opinions if I am so great? Yes I am great. Great at a great number of things. I am not perfect though (very very close, but not perfect). Also logo design is very much like art, there is no perfect way to do it, it is very subjective. That is why I seeked out other peoples opinions.

"not worth the fight"? wow, really? Are we fighting? Seriously why are you upset? Why get yourself worked up over nothing?

Elesarr

Reaction score
Your opinion is false because I am highly intelligent, therefore not an idiot. You are basing your statement on the fact that comments I made on a internet forum upset you, not on my intelligence (I still fail to see why you are so upset).

Conceited? Yes I am, and for good reason too. You say that like it is a bad thing.

you started this thread off saying you are a "noob" when it comes to PS. Does your conceit and intelligence mean to say you prefer not knowing anything? You logo is far too big for the space you have put it in, yes i looked at you site and the banner sucks....a 7 year old could do better.

You only focus on the 15/kbs comments and REFUSE to look at anything else that is being said about your crappy logo. A logo design I have seen on other websites with poor reputation.

I repeat: since you seem to have all the answers why do you bother to post a thread? Could it be you just love to stir up trouble.

I have truly tried to be of assistance to you in this thread. You are only interested in things people say that agree with you, that is not constructive nor helpful.

I will no longer feed your trolling tendencies - feast upon someone else's good help.

Cheers.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't resist.

You're telling me I'm misadjusted.

I just had a seizure yesterday. So you're telling me I'm misadjusted and, "Angry" even though I'm recovering from my brain rebooting.

Maybe your just an idiot. Yep. I think that's it.

free bbt

Reaction score
you started this thread off saying you are a "noob" when it comes to PS. Does your conceit and intelligence mean to say you prefer not knowing anything? You logo is far too big for the space you have put it in, yes i looked at you site and the banner sucks....a 7 year old could do better.

You only focus on the 15/kbs comments and REFUSE to look at anything else that is being said about your crappy logo. A logo design I have seen on other websites with poor reputation.

I repeat: since you seem to have all the answers why do you bother to post a thread? Could it be you just love to stir up trouble.

I have truly tried to be of assistance to you in this thread. You are only interested in things people say that agree with you, that is not constructive nor helpful.

I will no longer feed your trolling tendencies - feast upon someone else's good help.

Cheers.
Yes I am a noob when it comes to PS. Yes I am highly intelligent. Why would you think those 2 comments are mutually exclusive? I am highly intelligent and a beginner at photoshop. I am learning fast, but still don't know much.

I " REFUSE to look at anything else that is being said about your crappy logo"? huh? did you even read this thread? I have resigned my logo 35 times, mostly because of comments made in this thread. How is that refusing to look at anything that is being said?

" since you seem to have all the answers why do you bother to post a thread?" I don't have all the answers. Where did you get strange idea? I certainly don't, that is why I posted here asking for help (and Most of the people that posted here were helpful).

"You are only interested in things people say that agree with you" haha, ok clearly you didn't read this thread, I guess that answers my earlier question. You have it completely backwards, I am mainly interested in peoples opinions that Don't agree with me. Someone saying you banner looks perfect is not helpful at all, whereas someone saying something to the effect of your banner could be better if... is very helpful.

Trolling? lol, Kettle meet pot. I am here looking for advice and dialog and am getting attacked an I'm the troll. haha, riiiiight.
Edit:
Couldn't resist.

You're telling me I'm misadjusted.

I just had a seizure yesterday. So you're telling me I'm misadjusted and, "Angry" even though I'm recovering from my brain rebooting.

Maybe your just an idiot. Yep. I think that's it.

Sorry, I missed your comment earlier when you said you just had a seizure.

I honestly and sincerely apologize for my personal comments to you.

Put into context of what you are going through they were way out of line, and again I apologize.

Last edited: