What is your knowledge of computer programming?

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of new languages have come out, a lot are being phased out, Cobalt, BASIC, etc..

What languages do you know, and what is your experience with them, what have you done with these languages??

sclewin

Reaction score
I know Tiny bit of Pascal from high school. I know a Little of Basic, C, and know a good amount of PHP/MySQL and Python. I prefer Python for desktop applications and PHP for Web Development, but I plan to learn Javascript for client side web applications.

I think all the languages I use are the older ones and I prefer them because they are normally more well documented and normally more popular. Lastly, there are allready too many programming languages and I would not want to encourage the development of any more. I also highly prefer open source languages like Python.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Very limited, except when it comes down to web coding where I know some stuff.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know many, but I know enough to get by and am always trying to learn more. Currently I know (X)HTML, CSS and a lot of commands to use in batch files and Linux shell scripts.

I know enough Python to write a basic control panel to manage certain settings with the Gnome desktop environment, and am learning PHP too right now.

PHP is really useful, I wrote my arcade (link in signature) with it, which is still being actively developed. I'm working on categorising the games and adding some sort of tagging system currently, I want some sort of search functionality by the time I call it 1.0. I wrote the entire thing myself after sussing that the existing CMS software was crap with regards to what I wanted, it lacks the features to automate adding games and the like.

-Luke.

eliasr

Reaction score
I know C++ and C# very well, and a little of PHP, Java, Python, XML, C, HTML, etc.

I'm student and i need [or forced] to learn some of these, but i really want develop videogames, so i have a well knowlegde of C++.

Last edited:

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Let's see... started in Middle School making crap for the TI-83+ calculator, moved from there to a bit of Python, HTML/JS/CSS/XML, went on to learn Java (got a 4 on the AP my sophomore year of HS), studied further into Python and helped with the OLPC for a semester this year, then went on to study C most recently. Throw in my gradual self-teaching of PHP, SH, and a tiny bit of ASM, and I've learned more than I should have considering I start my senior year in high school this August.

I'm taking it further next year, learning whatever my instructor throws at me and working on a project for it in a class of two or three students, my school's finest geeks.

I hope to major in software engineering in college, so it only fits that I'm overloading on programming in high school.

Last edited:

kjprice

Reaction score
I'm fairly well-versed in Visual Basic and HTML (of course).
I'm learning C#, Java, and (hopefully) Perl

kkenny

Reaction score
HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS, Some PHP to get pass the design phase, Java, Javascript, and python

I'm trying to learn ASP.NET / ASP, getting better PHP and SQL skills, and also learning more in depth about shell commands for servers.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I only have a very limited knowledge/experience of computer programming languages. But I do know a bit more about web programming languages such as HTML, CSS, PHP.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I know PHP and a little VB.

I started coding my own forum, but got bored.

~Callum

VPmase

Reaction score
I know VB, Flash AS2, a little JAVA, PHP/MySQL, Javascript, AJAX (If it counts).
I am learning C++ at the moment and I plan on learning AS3 for Flash.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I don't know much at all I know a bit of html (only basic) and I started to learn c from one of the 4 dummies books but know I have a book on c++

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
C++ beginner. I almost said intermediate but the language is huge so that might be an overstatement.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I know some assembly (for Ti-84 graphics calculators), PHP, HTML, Javascript and a little bit of c and XML.

I am still mucking around with these web languages but I might move onto some more traditional programming languages at some stage.

delon

Banned
Reaction score
I know Javascript, C, HTML, QBASIC, FOXPRO ( learned Qbasic and Foxpro at school ) and am a PHP beginner.