What's your web design environment?

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

I have some knowledge in PHP (that's with mySQL, sadly I can't understand other database stuff like postgre besides mySQL), AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML), CSS, xHTML (still learning actionscripts)... I use notepad++ and my good old browser Mozilla Firefox. I can't create my own decent server configuration yet to simulate my website with, so I use XAMPP for a pre configured server instead of my old self-customized apache.

I'm still learning photoshop, I just bought one and once again I'm broke.

I just changed my template design lately to arcsin's decayed... don't misunderstand, I can make my own design but this one looks really cool. With photoshop, I may make something like it one day.

the .net interests me, how much will it cost to download a copy? and what are its advantages over php and the regular asp?

peace!

Last edited:

adam.k

Reaction score
Primarily I use Coda and Smultron for editing my code, and Photoshop CS4 for graphics;
I program in mostly PHP, XHTML, JavaScript and CSS.

zen-r

Reaction score
Nice work adam.k, you dug up a 2 year old thread!

How about starting a nice, fresh new one instead?!

hezuo

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver because it saves me a lot of time and I can focus on some other details that I think are more critic. As I need to be productive, I try to use the tools that make my life easier. When working with PHP, I use Eclipse.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Hurrah, repeated thread necromancy! :p

Language-wise, I use PHP/MySQL backends with XHTML/CSS frontends. When JavaScript is necessary, I haul out jQuery. I've used Flash in a couple places, but I try to avoid it wherever and whenever possible. My code is organized in Subversion repositories.

For day-to-day coding, I use NetBeans. I'm not a big fan of it but it mostly does OK. For one-off edits of single files, I use Geany.

--- Mr. DOS

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I use cmses, so don't have to do much manual work. When I do I use Kate for text/html/php editing, which integrates well with Dolphin (file manager and ftp client). Working over ftp is like working locally, making it highly convenient. Oh, and I use The GIMP for any image editing.

I am considering coding myself an app in php, for which I would use eclipse, which I'm already using for Java...

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
ah-blabla said:
Working over ftp is like working locally, making it highly convenient.
Same with Nautilus in Gnome. That's one thing I really miss in Windows 7: tight integration for remote file management via FTP and SSH. Nautilus lets virtually any GTK+-based application treat remote files like local ones; it's incredibly useful.

--- Mr. DOS

primefalcon

Reaction score
For markup/scripting

I currently use XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, XML, BASH, JavaScript (and AJAX)

My dev platform is Ubuntu 9.10 with an installed Apache, PHP, MySQL server setup

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I use FireZilla and PuTTy GEN for obvious purposes.
I used to use SmartFTP, but then they became all "We want money" and started doing 30 day trials, and I couldn't deal​
Notepad 2 is used for most coding (Programer's notepad for large projects)

NotePad 2 was the first good editor I worked with. I use it for day to day coding. For large things like company websites, and PHP scripting.
I use MySQL and PHP for backend (sometimes frontend) and XHTML1.1 STRICT and CSS3 for all web coding. Ajax/javascript is used really only for cosmetic stuff.

Self explanatory really...
I use Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended, and Adobe Illustrator CS4 Extended for designing.

First image manipulating tools i've ever used. <3 Christmas presents. haha
I'm tri-booting Snow Leapord, Windows XP Professional (SP3), and Ubuntu 9.10. On my other PC I have Windows 7, and Win XP Pro (I don't have 64bit Win7 for XP virtualization).

For browser testing and such​
Anything else you need to know? :p

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Anything else you need to know? :p
What do you eat and drink while doing coding? :biggrin:

In my case it's whatever I find in the kitchen such as biscuits, chocolate etc, and apple/orange juice or water...

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Hot Pockets, Whatever's in the fridge, popcorn, soda, juice, Mom's Dinner, milk, water, pie,

there's more. I eat everything really.

ivandist

Reaction score
Netbeans along with Flash, Fireworks...
For the database I use PHPMyAdmin.

For minor stuff Notepad++ is very useful :)

vonbiber

Reaction score
vi + ImageMagick + slackware or slax
I do everything from the console
then test with opera and firefox

occasionally drink coffee or tea

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Languages - HTML, PHP, Java, JSP, javascript, CSS

Photoshop - Designing templates, images manipulation etc..
Notepad++ - coding
XAMPP - Personal Web server to test the code.

Internet - for inspiration and for resources like icons, logos extc...

vonbiber

Reaction score
I use vi for codinghtml+csswhen necessary: javascript, phpother tools: ImageMagick (thumbnails, ...), the shell (bash), grep, sed ...browsers: opera, firefoxdo it all on a slackware box (sometimes slax)

balaji2u

Reaction score
I use PHP Designer, rarely Dreamweaver.
FileZilla for uploadings,
PCLinux as OS for core professional working.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I can use whatever my client requires. If I'm not so good at it, I learn.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I can use whatever my client requires. If I'm not so good at it, I learn.

Leviathon,

The question wasn't just what languages you use, but also what programs and stuff you use to code it. (We also added Operating System, Food eaten, and other things along the way. ;) )

I'm very interested in what you use to code and such. I'm sure your clients don't require you to use specific software...right?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
OK you're right, my clients don't require a specific software but I believe I said it many times on this forum. I use:

1) Dreamweaver (always the newest one - CS4 right now) for coding;
2) Fireworks and Photoshop for graphics and layout;
3) Adobe Flex for advanced web apps;
4) sFont for choosing the right font :)

I said that I use whatever my client requires thinking of programming languages.