which is better? firefox or IE?

chrisslat

Reaction score
IE ftw
ok maybe not, firefox over IE anyday :p

Last edited:

marshian

Reaction score
There'll be IE8 soon, maybe you should wait with the next discussion till it comes out.
And for all FF lovers, is there any hard evidence FF is better then IE?

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
There'll be IE8 soon, maybe you should wait with the next discussion till it comes out.
And for all FF lovers, is there any hard evidence FF is better then IE?
Yeah. IE is only for Windows. I think IE5 came out for Macs but Microsoft doesn't port new versions, as far as I know. Firefox is also more secure than IE, and I don't predict that changing since it's still integrated with Windows. Firefox better supports web standards than Internet Explorer.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

Let me first of all make it straight that I'm not a Microsoft hater. I like a lot of their applications and use many of them in my everyday life, how could I survive without Outlook there to manage my emails? I just hate their lack of respect for some standards, and appreciate the way that the IE team is doing the best they can, it would seem, to get IE8 standards compliant.

In this case, I have to say Firefox. The UI of Firefox 3 is much improved, the new address bar is excellent (it searches for pages that contain words you've entered in the titles of your history), and I like the way I can customise it and make the browser do what _I_ want.

But above all, I like Firefox because of the way the Mozilla team and the other contributors have made it so compliant with standards. While I won't deny the browser certainly has its own quirks and it does occasionally go on RAM raids, it's improving at a phenomenal rate at works well with all standards compliant (and not-so-) pages.

Firefox's developer addons are very useful, just head on over to the Mozilla addons site to see what I mean. Internet Explorer 8 has some that are getting better (they're pretty good :D), but the lack of respect for standards has pushed me further from the browser.

Let's hope Microsoft ditches its past with regards to the internet and allow itself to move forward. They've made mistakes in the past that have messed up the web a little, and I sincerely hope they can improve. Microsoft plays a big part in the computing industry and it's be nice seeing them work with the W3C to fix IE.

But yeah, Firefox is definitely best for now in my opinion.

-Luke.

Last edited:

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
Firefox 2.
Why?

IE6 - Its a buggy browser....No.. it IS a Bug itself ;P
IE7 - a veryyyy bad copy of Firefox.
IE8 - I don't want to install beta's.
FF3 - Its in RC 1.. When it be Final, i'll install :D

Ok, now for the good / bad things:
FF - ONLY ONE BAD THING: darn RAM use when its open for a long time. But i dont care, i got 2Gb RAM with a nice processor. But in my job's pc, this is a bad thing.
Good things: ADD-ONS, TABS, CUSTOMIZATION.

IE - It's the bad thing itself. I just think IE6 its a LITTLE faster to load than FF in crappy pc's... In Faster ones, didn't noticed. Mine is a lilttle slower than IE because i have too much add-ons on it..

I use:
ColorZilla (pick colors without printscreen and Eyedropper in Photoshop)
DownloadStatusBar (nice to see download status while browsing)
FasterFox (make ff a lil faster increasing pipelining, and we can see the load time of pages)
Firebug (no explanation needed :D)
IE Tab (Open IE as one FF's Tab.. useful to check my website in IE, compatibility issues etc)
Megaupload SX (open free slots in Megaupload sexupload EVEN when u try and it says 'slots full')
User Agen Switcher (so i can disguise as 'google bot' or anything to ppl's website)
Web Developer (no explanation needed :D)
United States Dictionary (Because i know english but, sometimes is good when i cant remember word or typed something wrong like 'wich' instead of 'which')

atlgeo

Reaction score
It depends. I have gone to some sites where firefox could not read the data such as geophysical well logs in "DeJavu" where IE7 worked flawlessly. Other sites, Firefox worked better. It may be more to do with who wrote the code for the page and which add on program are used.

KuwiRules145

Reaction score
I prefer firefox. IE.... Well I don't really like it.
I think firefox is better.
In my opinion. :biggrin:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Firefox is my choice of browser :)

rlodge

Reaction score
Boy do these threads keep coming up. They're just web browsers. I have Opera, IE7 and Firefox installed on all my systems. Never have I had a problem with any of them. Yes, that includes IE which means that I haven't had a virus on my system in, oh, years. And that virus came from an infected floppy disk from a computer that I used at work.

Again, they're just browsers. Download them, try them and use the one you like. Personally I use IE7 with IE7Pro added on primarily and don't have any problems and don't really notice a difference.

clareto

Reaction score
IE 0 - FX 0

Opening the program... IE loads a bit faster and uses less memory than FX
IE 1 - FX 0

Typing the address. Using FX3 RC1 you can notice a very improved address bar. I have to type just a few letters, and the site I want is here.
IE 1 - FX 1

Rendering. After data has completed to download, FX displays it almost immediately. The same page in IE takes a little more time to be displayed on screen (2 or 3 seconds).
IE 1 - FX 2

Searching. Ctrl+F opens something to search. In IE you have the ugly and outdated search popup, with little options. With FX, you have a bar where you can type, and FX searches as you type. Theres also a "highlight all" funciton that will highlight every match of the search. Better use of space, more utilities
IE 1 - FX 3

When clicking a link, FX follows it quietly. When clicking a link, IE plays a sound, and that sound continues playing many times when browsing a page. It is a little annoying. This time I will not give a point to FX, but I will remove a point from IE
IE 0 - FX 3

From the developer point of view

Sorry if I am rude with my words, but CSS support in IE just.. sucks!. FX adheres to standards, and make life more beautiful. With IE you must write a lot of workaround and hacks.
IE 0 - FX 4

Javascript in FX also adheres to standards, and you have a handy javascript debugger as an extension. For IE you must use non standard objects, and for debugging, all you get is an alert icon on the bottom left corner when there is an error
IE 0 - FX 5

I can continue, but I think you got the point
who beats??

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

kkenny

Reaction score
Don't also forget clareto, that many scripting languages such as DHTML and XHTML don't even function correctly in IE, even if they are valid in the W3C. To me, IE is just a big blow up for a real browser. Use Opera/Firefox. More better code, less junk.

nakg0d

Reaction score
Firefox is great when it comes to debugging web applications, with add-ons such as Firebug. IE fails to create such useful things, and that's where its use for me has decreased.

hamsn

Reaction score
among these two
simply firefox is the best(only among these two)

kkenny

Reaction score
Internet Explorer should be an illegal program for all the pain it causes developers ;d

rlodge

Reaction score
Internet Explorer should be an illegal program for all the pain it causes developers ;d
And what problem does it cause for developers? I don't get it. Any of the websites that I have made, I made to work in IE, Opera, Safari, and your beloved Firefox. Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox but if people can't develop for all browsers, maybe they need another line of work.

As far as making it illegal, well..... I've gotten just as many infections on my system from IE as I have from Firefox (which equals none). Maybe people just need to learn how to use and secure their systems.

I will say this again. They are just web browsers, people. They show you the internet. Try them out (they're all free) and see which one works for you. Use the one you like best.
Edit:
The fanaticism with Firefox is only rivaled with the fanaticism between Windows and Linux. There was another thread which asked you to post your desktop. All Windows and everyone hates IE?

Reminds me of the "Guys hate cats" thing. They don't really hate cats, it's just the cool thing to say.

Last edited: