Which photo editing software is the best?

tcmstr134

Reaction score
The industry standard is photoshop. I personally like CS3,but realistically allot of people cannot afford CS3. if you cant get photoshop, get the GIMP or paint.net.

Photoshop is a bit slower in loading, saving and applying effects, but still the final results tell all.

Nekoneko

Reaction score
Photoshop. it was a requirement in my school. The great thing about it, that it has a huge userbase and a low startingpoint level. You can find help just about everywhere. I've tried gimp, but i just cant get used to the gui.

Pro:
Userbase
-- Lots content (tutorials)
-- Plugins
Easy to grasp software
Proffesionally used

Cons:
It's expensive
Can be a resource hog (Take it your using alot of presets)

waterfoul

Reaction score
Photoshop works the best but it is expensive. For a free solution try Paint.net or GIMP, both work pretty well

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I use gimpshop it gimp but looks like photoshop. Anybody can practice photoshop tutorials on gimpshop.

demiselegion

Reaction score
I would say Paint.NET. Why? It's free, it's powerful (AFAIK), and it's easy to use. I've seen Photoshop, tried it at school, but I can't really figure it out. There's also something like Corel Draw, I forget it's name, but I tried that out at school too, and I found it was fairly easy to use and pretty powerful. But my vote still goes to Paint.NET.

kbjradmin

Reaction score
i personally use photoshop cs3. mostly because it's what i'm most familiar with, but even with the few other programs i have used, i prefer photoshop.

tangbaba

Reaction score
Came in here to say essentially what everyone else is saying: Photoshop. It is the industry standard, and for any professional task, it is the program of choice among the experts.
But- like everyone else has already stated- it costs an arm and a leg. I was lucky enough to learn the basics on computer in my section that had Photoshop installed, and I've pretty much gotten used to it.
But then there is the GIMP- god bless open source! I swear I just can't get into the swing of GIMP though. There is something that I've been thinking about trying (called GIMPShop) which makes the GIMP a little more user friendly to PS refugees, but still- I think it will be some time yet before I can produce the same kind of results with the GIMP.
I've never used Paint.NET, but seeing as how so many people are talking about it in here- I will definitely give it a try.
Can it save in PSD formats?