Why Opera is not So popular being the coolest browser?

The Browser War-- Your favourite web browser?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firefox

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Others like safari etc..

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Opera but prefer to use Firefox. I don't know about other users of opera but I've gained some knowledge about its working from my past experience with opera. There is a very big difference between the working of Opera and Firefox. Opera tends to skip any obstacle in his way of loading page to speed up the loading. Therefore people having slow internet connection may face problem loading some content specially scripts.
One of the best feature of opera is that it used to store information and so when we click on back we don't have to load that page again. Opera is best for people having medium connection speed. People having high connection speed will never need its features and people having very slow connection speed will face problem by using opera.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Opera managed to be the 1st browser shipped with mobile devices, which is something. However, the desktop interface is too overwhelming (from my past experiences), I like Firefox mainly because everything looks right (YAY for standards :) ) , the plugins and the UI. Firefox is in the perfect middle between huge UIs with loots of options and minimalistic UI such as chrome's. Also, on the plugin side, there is a plugin for pretty much anything on FF, even though the features are not always as good as the originals. Also for the downloads, All-in-One-Sidebar with Download Statusbar make a terrific mix! :biggrin:

joejv4

Reaction score
The "hunting down add-ons" in FF is a good thing from my perspective. I don't want a browser bloated with features I'll never use. I'd rather simply find the ones I want, and install them.

I still say the answer to the original question is this - Opera shot themselves in the foot and gave up tons of market-share buy charging for their full-up browser. Apparently, they no longer charge for it, but by the time that changed their model, the damage was already done. FF is the defacto alternative to IE.

Until I read this thread and visited their site, I was unaware that Opera no longer charged for their browser - hence I had not even thought about Opera in a few years.

xdevhald

Reaction score
Firefox 3.5.7 is what I am running on my Ubuntu box and love it. It does have a lag to it compared to windows (fully modified linux desktop as well). To me Firefox runs better on windows than unix. I run OperaMini 5 beta 2 on my LG Rumor (temp phone) and love it to death.

If Firefox can step it up another two levels or more on their browser based mobility for phones, we would really see the full extent on their development.

gamergirl

Reaction score
I use opera and love it. I have used IE, FF, and GC. Opera seemed to be the best out of them all for me.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
When we compare Opera with firefox, firefox rremains out standing

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
hi legendkiller , why do u think opera is excellent

joejv4

Reaction score
Very good question vishal2. This thread is a discussion on Opera vs. other browsers. The crossfire board is for well though-out discussions - more or less an online debate team competition.

Simply saying "Opera is excellent", does not tell me anything about Opera that would make me even consider using it.

Please expand on your post and tell us what it is about Opera that you like better than FF or IE.
Is it specific features, the overall GUI layout, or something else? Please convince me as to why I should take another look at Opera and consider using it over FF.

techfun

Reaction score
Earlier versions of opera didn't meant user's need so they neglected it but new versions are very good so new users are only aware of it..

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Earlier versions of opera didn't meant user's need so they neglected it but new versions are very good so new users are only aware of it..

Earllier versions of OPERA was having BUGS,but new version happens to be good

phazzedout

Reaction score
Opera Supports torrent downloads.. It has an inbuilt download manager which is better than firefox(atleast thats what i experienced) !!! Another cool feature of Opera is the speed dial...

I personally do not enjoy using Firefox, Chrome or Opera (any browser in general) for Torrent downloads. They just download and turn off. I enjoy using Vuze or uTorrent because you get to share the knowledge and wealth.
Edit:
I personally like how Firefox looks and the feel of operating it, therefore I use Firefox.

I like and feel confortable how Google Chrome looks, hence why the Firefox community has been working hard to make Firefox look like Chrome. Mine looks like Chrome except for the top bar. Althought my problem with Firefox is that I have so many plug-ins (literally like 20, Firefox made me uninstall Thunderbird, AIM, etc. because of it's plug-ins that replaced those programs.) it used 400mb of RAM!!!!

Last edited:

dj0wns

Reaction score
I just prefer firefox for its level of customization. Its fast, rather smooth, and does what i need it to. I haven't done much with the new opera yet, but so far i prefer firefox.

mothmann

Reaction score
Opera - Alot of sites seem to not have good support for opera and this lead me to stop using it. I used to love it. But when ur doing stuff for work which requires me to log times in and out and do online saftey training and it just doesn't work with half of it i had to quit using it. Also it neven seems to work right with Hotmail. and it isn't supported by QUAKE LIVE. Because of support reasons i think is the only thing holding it back. and the torrent support is pure garbage. it needs more advanced options. such as only downloading 1 or 2 files of a 100 file torrent.

Firefox. I used to use firefox. but it just takes so long to load the browser. I dont know why it just seems so slow (it isn't my computer). I can load opera and chrome and i.e. pretty much instantly but firefox seems to take 20 - 30 seconds or so to even load. This is the reason i stopped using it as my main browser.

Chrome - same reason as opera. it just isn't supported enough. Altho it has to be the fastest browser i've ever used. but it does seem to crash here and there but it is a baby compared to the others.

I.E. I dont know why but ever since i installed Windows 7 i just haven't stopped using the newest I.E. It loads instantly. Its pretty much compatible with everything. It doens't crash. and SPYBOT + I.E. make a powerful anti spyware combo. Altho spybot does support other browsers. it doesn't seem to support them as well as IE.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The only reason why almost all websites support IE is because web designers (like myself) are working really hard to achieve that. From designers point of view IE is garbage that needs a lot more work to become a good browser. Almost everything I make works exactly the same in Opera, FF, Chrome and even Safari but completely different in IE (no meter the version but IE6 is the worst one ever made an is still used by a lot of users). The lack of support for CSS 3 and HTML 5 in IE7 is just outrageous for a company that call itself "a biggest software company in the world".

phazzedout

Reaction score
xD I just use Opera in my celphone!

Ah! Me too! Opera Mini was the best Mobile Web Browser I have ever used. It kicked the ass of every other web browser out there. I would play a text based game on it with ease while the stock browser would crash after too many images loading. I truly enjoyed Opera Mini but I downgraded my phone to an early 2000 phone. Works fine but not a smart phone.

lightning yoshi

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I think FireFox is so popular because it was the fastest browser since it's release (but it was beat by Chrome), and because of it's availablility of themes and addons.

phazzedout

Reaction score
Chrome is good, I like it and all but it lacks the community that Firefox has. If every browser had the same community that Firefox has then imagine what sort of super browser we could come up with.