Will any of you upgrade to Windows 8 when it's out next year?

supanut200042

Reaction score
Windows 8 will probably be out before Christmas next year, so I want to know if any of you guys will be planning to upgrade.
For me, yes I may upgrade, but if I can get a hand on the RTM build early, I will test it in a virtual machine or do a dual-boot to test things, then after around a month of testing, I may decide to erase my Windows 7 and replace it with Windows 8; if my testings were good. But if not, I will stay with Windows 7.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Definitely, assuming they improve the experience of the OS when using a mouse and keyboard. Metro as the start menu isn't mouse/keyboard friendly at all.

I'm hoping a public beta and/or RC will be available sometime during the first half of 2012, similar to Windows 7 Beta/RC during 2009.

In 2009, I ran Windows 7 RC via dual boot with Vista and used it as my main OS during the RC period. I'm planning to do the same for Windows 8.

Last edited:

jpolito51

Reaction score
Absolutely not. I feel that Metro is a huge step backward for Windows and plan to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible, even if I end up being a technological hermit in the process.

Darkmere

Reaction score
You guys shouldnt have a problem running windows 8 ... I called up Microsofts Customer support to see if I could get an Idea if Windows 8 would run on my Windows 7 machines and they told me there is very little to no difference in Windows 7 and 8. They said the system requirements will be the same and any windows 7 capable machine will run 8 no problems.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Betas don't, no -- they're not released products. There's usually some restriction on getting them (like an MSDN subscription or being a member of the BizSpark program, etc.) and there may be a cost to that part of it. Your license to use the beta (or release candidate, etc.) evaporates the minute that the product is released in your market.

alexanderbuckland71

Reaction score
Definitely, assuming they improve the experience of the OS when using a mouse and keyboard. Metro as the start menu isn't mouse/keyboard friendly at all.

I'm hoping a public beta and/or RC will be available sometime during the first half of 2012, similar to Windows 7 Beta/RC during 2009.

In 2009, I ran Windows 7 RC via dual boot with Vista and used it as my main OS during the RC period. I'm planning to do the same for Windows 8.

A public BETA has been around for a while now, in the form of the Windows 8 Developer Preview...

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Anybody watched this preview Microsoft posted on YouTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Looks a bit tablet and not specifically designed for keyboard/mouse. Obviously keyboard/mouse still work..... hmmm..... not sure if I'm so keen with the whole 'touch' idea.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Are Micro$oft buying shares in screen wipes I wonder?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
A public BETA has been around for a while now, in the form of the Windows 8 Developer Preview...

It was labeled as a pre-beta. It seemed more like a preview of the Metro UI and development for Metro. Without a touch screen, the experience of using the developer preview isn't that great.

Anybody watched this preview Microsoft posted on YouTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Looks a bit tablet and not specifically designed for keyboard/mouse. Obviously keyboard/mouse still work..... hmmm..... not sure if I'm so keen with the whole 'touch' idea.

You can try it out yourself here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Microsoft seems to want to create one OS for both regular keyboard/mouse and touch, which I personally think is a great idea. This might create a lot of tablets that come with a keyboard dock, similar to the Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

Last edited:

Darkmere

Reaction score
The Beta is free from MSDN ... the only stipulation is you have up to 6 months after the final release to use it after that time they disable it on your computer unless you pay for a new Key

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
I may decide to erase my Windows 7 and replace it with Windows 8; if my testings were good. But if not, I will stay with Windows 7.

Obviously, unless you need to go from 32bit Windows 7 to 64bit Windows 8 there is no need to erase anything, since Windows 8 is compatible with the Windows Vista - 7 drivers and software, you'll be able to safely update.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's still a bit too early to say whether or not I will put down the money to get a copy of Windows 8 for a PC in my home. Sure, if I build a new machine I might either stick a copy of Windows 7 on it or I'd pay for Windows 8, but unless they change the OS a bit to not be so centered around Tablets and Touch Screens, the answer would probably be a no. I don't have a use for extra tablet functionality here, since we all use Keyboard and Mouse besides the occasional use of our iPod Touches (2nd Gens, no need for a newer generation with out use).

Sure, I'm a technically savvy person, and I love getting my hands on the greatest and newest things. I've currently got Windows 8 installed on a Virtual Machine which has been there since the Developer Preview was released, so I am checking it out as I go along. But still, probably won't get it unless it has something huge that Windows Vista or Windows 7 do not offer already. The same way I turned down Windows XP when Windows Vista came out, Vista offered many things I wanted that XP simply did not have, so I purchased a copy of Vista to run on a newly built gaming computer in 2007.

Time will tell to see what Microsoft decides to do.

Last edited: