Will My Site SUCCEED?

datekiss

Reaction score
Ive been working on a project lately, allowing members of the internet community to have access to a server on my site and host their own radio shows.

But due the broadcast licencing laws in the Uk, im having problems funding for it.

I would just like your input and your ideas, what do you think i can do to improve the site? Do you think it will work?

Please could you write back here and let me know, much appreciated

Datekiss
x

flowiki

Reaction score
That's going to take a LOT of resources and bandwidth, if it's live streams.

I'd suggest making sure that your limits and resources available are enough before stepping in too deep.

There's quite a large amount of people looking for what you are willing to offer however so I think if thought out well, it could go very well.

Best of luck. :)

gimr1987

Reaction score
Well you can use as one off the rules dhat dhe need to pud your ads on site pages end in radio as ads

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The other suggestion is don't allow tons of users to begin with; you're just asking for problem if you go and put a limit of 1,000 users cause the resources required will be HUUUUGE!

Probably not a good idea to limit to 5 either, but DO limit it to what the resources available can handle - it's embarassing if you hit your bandwidth limit on day 4 of the month :)

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ive been working on a project lately, allowing members of the internet community to have access to a server on my site and host their own radio shows.

But due the broadcast licencing laws in the Uk, im having problems funding for it.

I would just like your input and your ideas, what do you think i can do to improve the site? Do you think it will work?

Please could you write back here and let me know, much appreciated

Datekiss
x
--
The idea of your site overall is one that will be complicated. As others above this post have said, make sure you have enough resources to support such a site, as live feeds do take a lot of bandwidth.

You said you are having problems with the licensing since you're located in the UK, .....from what I know, (Though I can be wrong) unless your site is hosted in the UK, (Which if you are using x10hosting, it is hosted in the USA) YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE.....though someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You said will your site succeed.
What people do is look for courage before they can do something couragouse. People look for what they gain, only after they have completed something.

So with that said, don't be afraid to get started as soon as possible, you will run into trouble along the way, but in the long run everything you do will lead to that site of yours being successful.

Do this for me, take a note card and tape it to the top of your computer screen, or somewhere you will always see it. It should say, "Should I really be doing this right now."

That's right, if you want your site to succeed you need to put the work into it. There is no get rich quick/get a great site quick program. It does not exist.

Set yourself some goals, and stick to them, devote about 2 hours at least a day to working on setting up those goals for your site.

It takes planning. It is just like a business you either do really well, or you fail.

Those that do well, planned out what they were going to do.
Those that do well, work out the problems, and figure things out.
Those that do well, do everything they can to accomplish their goal for their site.

Will your site succeed. Honestly, if you don't do what I just said, you will fail. I am not joking with ANYTHING I just said, I gain nothing from joking around like that.

If you work to accomplish your goals and DO NOT QUIT, when the going gets tough, you will have a successful site. You will make money off of it, even if you don't want to, you will make money accidentally. YES ACCIDENTALLY.

Think about this now, person x, makes a site and it does not get anywhere, it barely has visitors.
Person Y, MAKES AN EXACT SITE, with a different theme, and gets THOUSANDS OF VISITORS a week....WHY?

You need to get your site to the public!! If you don't want to waste money, which I understand, but really buddy....start advertising RIGHT WHEN YOUR SITE IS DONE. There are tons of free advertising locations.

Wish you luck, I am here if you want to message me.....though please best not to do so, so frequently as I may not be able to get back to you so soon.

peacehotel

Reaction score
f** the law i break it all the time, its only illegal if u get caught

Last edited by a moderator:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As to my previous post hehe, (In the USA there is not law) that says you need a license.....so that is not even needed if the guy is using a x10hosting account.

Steeevoe

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be the people who are "on air" doing the broad(band)casting that need the license to play the music to public anyway?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe this holds true in the USA and elsewhere. When you buy any media, be it CD, DVD, etc, you are agreeing to use it for personal use only. Broadcasting would be a violation of that agreement. As for you being held liable, since you are knowingly allowing people to openly violate copyright agreements, you would probably be held liable as well.

Now, if you have the copyright owner's permission, or if the broadcasters are the copyright owners, ie, they are using their own material, or if the broadcast is licensed to the public domain, ie mary had a little lamb and row row row your boat, then you are OK.

I know people who have been sued by the recording industry. You really really really do not want the same to happen to you.

As for licensing, I'm not sure on that one. I don't know why you can't have a podcast for download or streaming.

I think you need a lawyer :p

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A lawyer is not needed. If you are/your members are going to use things that was not created by them, they should not use it, unless you have a written agreement by the ones who made it. BUT, I think you are talking about a radio site that has things made up by the ones who are on it theme selves then go right ahead....

Just look online on google, you will find your answer : )

datekiss

Reaction score
Cheers all for your great feedback information, glad people out there are willing to give their voices and oppinions. In the Uk they have come down hard on people downloading and broadcasting illegally, you face severe fines and sentences.

Im intending on getting a host that allows infinate bandwidth and subdomains and space. This should be great for the shoutcast stream.

If anyone is interested or would wish to assist me then please contact me as im always looking for some extra help or support.

Anyone here got any tips of how to get people on side to donate, as the site will be funding by donations/sponsors/advertisements. Im finding this difficult in the current situation of recession.

I need to raise around £200-300 a year, to allow the site to run legally. Its crazy how the goverment and governing bodies are charging such extortinate rates. It makes internet radio broadcasting so costly, which is kind of unfair for those who do it as a hobby.

If anyone has any idea's of gaining help for funding please feel free to let me know.

Much appreciated

Datekiss
x

Thanks Again.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Ads are always a possible source of income, but you need a lot of pagehits to raise that much money a year. Every bit will help though, right? :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
A word on the ads: If you do place them, don't make them obtrusive to the site content. A lot of people suggest sticking with text ads as people tend to prefer them more. The pictures ads/flash roll over/javascript based ads are the ads people hate, and that's where Adblock Plus starts to do the work on the ads. Also, don't forget to moderate the ads you see on the site. People will not like to come back if they keep getting bad ads or ads containing malware.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if the server is based in the US, it doesn't matter where you're based. you have to follow the US laws.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if the server is based in the US, it doesn't matter where you're based. you have to follow the US laws.

Perfectly put, I could not have used better words for that either. :)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe you can also create a "premium service" with no ads, or more features for a few dollars.

datekiss

Reaction score
Which broadcasting laws in the UK apoply to the Internet?

You need some kind of PPL licence from the PPL authorites, they got a site on the net.

I know alot of people who broadcast dont get licensing but then risk everything, id rather not risk having a criminal record. But sometimes they expect a little to much, £300+ a year is outrageous.

If anyone knows a way around these licenses please feel free to let me know.

Cheers

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Simply "interview" the people who are planning to use your site and only take the people who actualy will have good Radio Shows, if you take everyone you will get alot of crap hoging your bandwidth.

As for legal issues you should be careful, all you need is to be arrested for a free service. LOL