Would you give up cPanel for better uptime?

How important is cPanel to you?

• I can't live without it.

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • I would trade it for better uptime and stability.

Votes: 205 64.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
getting them based on cpanel might be true, but keeping them has everything to do with uptime and stability...

I actually think that x10 would get a lot new users even without cpanel, when I signed up cpanel was NOT a major factor to the choice. My main reasons was there were fairly good space and bandwidth, and most importantly NO forced ads, in fact no ads at all required. I tried a few. I stayed on x10 not because of cpanel, though I admit it is a nice tool to have, but because of a helpful community and good support.

I have to agree with LadyAnna. When I first looked for a host I had no idea what any panel was, nonetheless CPanel. I think a good percent of people looking for a free host are in the same position I was, they don't know what they want. They know they want uptime all the time, they know they want everything to be easy and for everything to work just as they expect it. I don't think the staff need to kill themselves looking for a workaround, but if it is at all possible, I think keeping CPanel is one of the little extra benefits that makes X10 a great host.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
getting them based on cpanel might be true, but keeping them has everything to do with uptime and stability...

I actually think that x10 would get a lot new users even without cpanel, when I signed up cpanel was NOT a major factor to the choice. My main reasons was there were fairly good space and bandwidth, and most importantly NO forced ads, in fact no ads at all required. I tried a few. I stayed on x10 not because of cpanel, though I admit it is a nice tool to have, but because of a helpful community and good support.

Very true about cPanel.

When I came to x10, I had absolutely NO clue what cPanel was. I don't even wanna talk about what my first site looked like. Most people that sign up for x10 are very new to web design and making websites. People will come, not only for the "panel" we use, but because x10 is full of people who love to help everyone else.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a lot of joy out of answering the simplest questions, either on the forums or via IRC. It feels good to help, and to know that I can be helped if I need it.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
CPanel is not what makes the host. People can live without cPanel in their hosting, but they cannot live without their site being up. When I am debugging JavaScript applications, it make me want to... to have to wait 2 or three minutes every two or three minutes.

Hauzer

Reaction score
It's true that cPanel isn't the major part of the host if you really come down to it. But, the reason I'm using this host is because of cPanel, I honestly don't see anything wrong with the uptime.

If a person first visits the host, they'll know it's cPanel. They won't know instantly that the uptime is bad (well the uptime is quite the opposite). Certain directories such as free-webhosts gives you more marks for hosting with cPanel so it obviously must be better, right?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Well do you want a free car with 40 hp or a free car with 45hp, but stalls every time you stop at a light.

JLee3D

Reaction score
I use CPanel to configure my site for the 1st time, then I don't go there anymore until I need to configure something again. I think we just need another panel, even if its much primitive as the current one.. if there's one available. :naughty:

sonicsshadow

Reaction score
As long as it had the basic features, such as phpMyAdmin, some sort of backup feature, a decent file manager (with a text editor built in) and a good interface, then yes.

perryz

Reaction score
I think it depends on what the new system looks like. If i can do common jobs well in the new system, i'd trade it for better uptime and stability. After all, i think i would never use most of the features cpanel provides.
How about provide a demo of the new system first?
Edit:
As long as it had the basic features, such as phpMyAdmin, some sort of backup feature, a decent file manager (with a text editor built in) and a good interface, then yes.
I can't agree more with this

Last edited:

DizzyTechnology

Reaction score
While I know nothing about building/running a server, I would highly recommend a cPanel alternative and going with lighttpd. Would make life so much easier! As such, I went and voted for the second option.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score

phpMyAdmin is a php program you could download and stick on your own website if you really wanted to. Things like backup and restore are also easy to do for them. The only thing that might bring up some problems is the text editor, but im sure thats also easily solved

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Corey seems to be making some progress with CPanel. I really think we'll be able to keep it.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
:eek4: Erm, having cPanel is one of the biggest reasons I came here...

That is very true. x10 is the only company I stick with right now because it offers cPanel for free. If cPanel is eliminated I would possibly swtich to another company which offers more space with another panel. Basically most people who are x10 like to use cPanel. All the other free hosting compaines don't use cPanel. I only know x10 as the only company that uses cPanel.

Reaction score
I'll be forthright and admit that CPanel on a free host was an attention grabber for me and worked to hold my attention quite well. However, that was mostly because I knew what to expect from CPanel(as in I knew what could be done with it). Most free sites tend to, in my experience, have really really really crappy control interfaces. Even the current (paid) host for a website that I currently manage for a non-profit organization I have has a crappy control interface. It probably takes me 2-3 times as long to do even simple tasks. I don't even want to think about what it would take to do something long.

All that said as long as removing CPanel doesn't limit us freebies(i.e. we can still use a database, php, and all that good stuff that x10 lets us do that few other free sites match[particularly considering ads are not forced on us]), I could really care less about it. Learning a new panel could even be fun!:lol: So if need be feel free to cut it off as long as you can still provide your unparalleled service! :biggrin:

Picard1595

Reaction score
really for x10 a great alternative that is probably better then cpanel is lxadmin, much more powerful imho as it can use lighttpd

Last edited:

tadueszkwasniewski

Reaction score
That is very true. x10 is the only company I stick with right now because it offers cPanel for free. If cPanel is eliminated I would possibly swtich to another company which offers more space with another panel. Basically most people who are x10 like to use cPanel. All the other free hosting compaines don't use cPanel. I only know x10 as the only company that uses cPanel.
There are free hosts offering cPanel and that's a fact. X10Hosting may be the biggest of them, but it's not the only one. It takes a second to prove it by querying Free-Webhosts with "cPanel".

And one thing I'd like to ask all those people saying they'd switch if there was no cPanel: what cPanel function do you use that often that you really need it? I'm so curious about that.

coolgbb

Reaction score
I say BETTER up time is good for me. Just give me ftp access and phpmyadmin and I am good to go.

Last edited:

nemiux

Reaction score
Of course o would.. I program by myself in file manager.. i don't need anything more :)

Hauzer

Reaction score
I'm starting to notice a lot more down times. My site is currently down, I would love the uptime to be higher but I'd also love to have cPanel.

What I often do with cPanel is use the AWStats, use the Virus Scanner, File Manager, E-Mail accounts, and so on. I would like to have cPanel with the uptime but I'm not sure if it's possible, this is quite a struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.