Would you give up cPanel for better uptime?

How important is cPanel to you?

• I can't live without it.

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • I would trade it for better uptime and stability.

Votes: 205 64.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brayden13

Reaction score
cPanel in my opinion sucks. It's over priced and slow. It is a CPU drainer of the century.

A better and free control panel would be webmin. It is simple and easy to get used to etc. but I don't know if you can migrate cPanel accounts to it.

JeremyG92

Reaction score
Yesterday I already voted for the 2nd option, but today I were wondering, isn't it possible to restart Apache once a day? (or once every 12 hours)

Because the OP stated that every time an account is created/removed, apache needs to restart. But what if you create/remove all accounts that should have been created or removed on the same day, at a single moment (sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch ;) ). I don't know if what I'm saying is possible, but when it is, you would only have to restart Apache once a day, letting the other accounts have much more uptime.

Good idea or not?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Yesterday I already voted for the 2nd option, but today I were wondering, isn't it possible to restart Apache once a day? (or once every 12 hours)

Because the OP stated that every time an account is created/removed, apache needs to restart. But what if you create/remove all accounts that should have been created or removed on the same day, at a single moment (sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch ;) ). I don't know if what I'm saying is possible, but when it is, you would only have to restart Apache once a day, letting the other accounts have much more uptime.

Good idea or not?

This is actually pretty close to what Corey is trying to do, the problem is CPanel doesn't really allow this to happen.

ofpower

Reaction score
I love Cpanel, It makes my life easy.
But to be frank as much as I enjoy using it, whats the point if I can't even use the site in the first place?

Cplanel's makers have tied your hands on this and as such they will most likely loose you as a customer for your free servers.

IF there is an alt that is better or at least nearly on par with Cpanel I suggest swapping. Even something with less features would be good in all honesty.

To the people who say they came here for cpanel, and they can't live without it, then upgrade, it's not that expensive (Don't tell me too, I'm waiting for my credit card to arrive ;) ).

So if it becomes unlikely that you will be able to fix it without ripping Cpanel I say ditch it.

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Thing is, cPanel is great, but it is also true that it is a memory and resource hog, although not as bad as apache. We are still playing with ideas, and trying some things out, I see a solution coming soon, and it'll be great. I can't talk much about whats going on, but we are working on a solution. It's just good to see all of the feedback, We're not so much looking into getting rid of cPanel, as we are a solution to make it all work more efficiently, and conservative. Believe me, I don't want to see it go, i've been playing with other panels, and honestly, I can't find one I like. Plus, i'd hate to lose the backend support WHM provides. ;-)

quite honestly, I can't say there is another control panel out there as advanced as cPanel, paid or free.. It makes our job alot easier.

cerdric

Reaction score
:( This is an extremely tough decision! Cpanel has a ton of features and it works great and is really polished But, I absolutely hate the downtime! If you guys will still have the ftp server, the online code editor and all the status information, I will be happy.

sonicsshadow

Reaction score
phpMyAdmin is a php program you could download and stick on your own website if you really wanted to. Things like backup and restore are also easy to do for them. The only thing that might bring up some problems is the text editor, but im sure thats also easily solved
Yes, but it would be easier if phpMyAdmin was run though the secure x10hosting cPanel (whatever the replacement is) rather than through my web hosting account.

I was trying to say that there isn't much that I needed, that's the entire point of my post. All of these features should come standard with most control panels.

And honestly, who uses EVERY FEATURE of cPanel. Sure, virus scanning on the fly is nice, but how often do people actually find viruses with it? Also, I have never used half of the cPanel features. It's too bloated. It's nice to be like "Oh, cool I could do <this> if I wanted to," but when will you ever actually use most of that stuff?

Cron jobs are great, but I've never needed them (other people probably do because of their needs), the image leech features and other security features are great, but again, I've never used them. The log pages are awesome, but I already get my logs from other sites (advertising sites, although, not everyone uses advertising sites). Some of the features in cPanel can be done by editing .htaccess, such as error pages. I've never used any of the software suites, but I hear people love these, so I guess these are a must for certain people.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
And honestly, who uses EVERY FEATURE of cPanel. Sure, virus scanning on the fly is nice, but how often do people actually find viruses with it?

Actually, you'd be surprised. I get people with them from time to time, although a virus really isn't a virus, it's malicious code ;P

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually, you'd be surprised. I get people with them from time to time, although a virus really isn't a virus, it's malicious code ;P

I'll have to check that out. I thought it sounded pretty useless too.

I have to agree that CPanel has a ridiculous amount of features. I'm never going to use half of them. But, there's a bizzaro Garrett out there using the half I don't use, so I don't really feel like anything in CPanel is not worth having. X10 has the most features out of any free host, I think we should keep it that way ;)

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
There are free hosts offering cPanel and that's a fact. X10Hosting may be the biggest of them, but it's not the only one. It takes a second to prove it by querying Free-Webhosts with "cPanel".

And one thing I'd like to ask all those people saying they'd switch if there was no cPanel: what cPanel function do you use that often that you really need it? I'm so curious about that.

I just checked some of those webhosts that were listed there and L4rge isn't a cPanel how I'm sure of that because I have tried them. I can say only 1/4 of them up there include cPanel.

Hauzer

Reaction score
And honestly, who uses EVERY FEATURE of cPanel. Sure, virus scanning on the fly is nice, but how often do people actually find viruses with it? Also, I have never used half of the cPanel features. It's too bloated. It's nice to be like "Oh, cool I could do <this> if I wanted to," but when will you ever actually use most of that stuff?

Yeah, I agree. Not many people use all the features of cPanel but I'm we use majority of them and together we've used all the features more than once.

The reason I stated I use Virus scanner is because my web site (Obnoxious Mods) had spyware/malware. It used to distribute it to other people's machine, and Google blocked it as "This site may harm your computer". I believe it was the previous host which kept doing this.

So, I moved over to x10hosting using the backup files I had on my computer which didn't have any harmful content on. That's why I regularly use the Virus Scanner to make sure it's running clean. Google has now re-reviewed the web site as requested and is now unblocked.

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Not many people use all the features of cPanel but I'm we use majority of them and together we've used all the features more than once.

The reason I stated I use Virus scanner is because my web site (Obnoxious Mods) had spyware/malware. It used to distribute it to other people's machine, and Google blocked it as "This site may harm your computer". I believe it was the previous host which kept doing this.

So, I moved over to x10hosting using the backup files I had on my computer which didn't have any harmful content on. That's why I regularly use the Virus Scanner to make sure it's running clean. Google has now re-reviewed the web site as requested and is now unblocked.
That's the problem with cPanel. The features it has will inevitably be extremely useful to a bunch of people.

cphilips

Reaction score
I could give it up. cPanel has lots of features, but most of them I don't even use! Hehe..

If you do ditch cPanel, I highly reccomend Net2FTP for the file manager. It's a really good editor. (I dunno exactly how it works, though. It may or may not be more server intensive.)

Last edited:

lala123

Reaction score
I think Vista Panel is a good answer for the free hosting package.
I worked with Vista Panel serveral months, it's done things very well.

bsbrowse

Reaction score
Dear folks at x10hosting.com,
server absolut is down again.
That's the 7th time in 24hrs now (that I know of).

:rant2: You need to find a solution soon!
I like cPanel, but if all the options can be
accessed using different tools then get rid of it!!!
I don't mind if the new user interface is
even text based, AS LONG AS IT WORKS.

And why is cPanel working while my account
is down on the same server?
http://absolut.x10hosting.com:2082/frontend/x3/index.php

Up for 5minutes and down again :(

Last edited:

kuarkon

Reaction score
that is the same with me...i just want my site to be up. Absolute is down many times in 1 day.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
And why is cPanel working while my account
is down on the same server?
cPanel is not run by Apache. It is the Apache httpd server that is locking up, not the cPanel process.

Status
Not open for further replies.