Youtube is the slowest website on the internet

cursedpsp

Reaction score
YouTube for me is the slowest website on the internet so far that i have seen this month - I have a 20meg broadband and all the other website are ultra quick. It takes in excess of 2 mins to search for a video and the same to actually watch the damn thing. Is it slow for any other people.?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
For me Youtube is nice and fast, and I've only got a max of 1.5 megabits per second.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I only have 7.1Mbps DSL at my house, that's going to be going to some Fiber optic, but YouTube is loading up pretty quick. Sure, around the afternoon and nights when those big corporate T3s and fast internet lines are tearing at their servers they make take a minute to load or to do a search, but they've been loading very quickly lately. Before Google bought YouTube, they were very slow, half of the time I'd have to let the video have 2 minutes to even buffer enough for me to watch it without a stop. But that doesn't happen any more, and I can even use the &fmt=18 trick to get higher quality videos and it doesn't take a dump at all.

I'd say run a trace route to YouTube if they're slow. It may show where the slowness is occurring if it isn't their servers.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I know mine is correct, as Speakeasy.net is saying 7,200kbps on the download, and I know what package I have.

Daniel S

Reaction score
YouTube is very slow for me as well (on searching) I loads about the same speed as most other website but when I search it is as if I have not pressed anything and takes a couple of minutes to do anything.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
a 3 min vid loads in 30 secs for me in high quality...

I have 24 MBPS but I get 13 MBPS = 13/8= 1.625 MbPS

animewatch

Reaction score
That is a very bad sign for you, that may be because of some sort of error with your computer cuz youtube is well know for its speed that many other video sites cant compete with

[BAK]ThePro

Reaction score
well lets see heres a pic of the speed test i did in youtube

4dbe09_spped_test_youtube.bmp

seems normal to me some hosts got it loaded in 600 kb/s so thats quite fast

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
well lets see heres a pic of the speed test i did in youtube

4dbe09_spped_test_youtube.bmp

seems normal to me some hosts got it loaded in 600 kb/s so thats quite fast

Go to www.speedtest.net and post an image after doing a test. It'll show everything from ping to your speed, which is what we want to know. Run one to a server near you, and run a speed test to the Optimum Online New York City server (since a few YouTube servers are in NYC). Post up both results.

azntechguy

Reaction score
Youtube always has a "slow" period and a "fast" period.

While the bouts of slowness on Youtube isn't as bad as it once was, it still happens from time to time.

If Youtube feels slow to you every time though, I would seriously suggest that you lower your standards ;)

kkenny

Reaction score
Haha, Youtube is particularly fast for me. The only slow thing I've ever got disappointed with is the page loading time, but the loading time of the video is actually fast.

So I guess Youtube is pretty fast to my standards ;p

furtoosh

Reaction score
I get a message that "This video is no longer available" though it is. Most of the videos show this message and I have to refresh the page many times to see the video. I do not know what is the problem.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I think that's because of some bugs with the YouTube website.

And actually, the fastest video site on the net for me is Metacafe, it's much better. I think it's because there's always too many people on the YouTube site, although even YouTube's not too bad. I only get 300kB/s down, get about 4-6 times that up o.0

-Luke.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I got 18,350kbits when we are actually playing for 20mbits! :O, rip off.. better tell my dad.

well, you better think of how it works. You need to live about 100 meters from the internetstation that sends the signal to you to actually get full speed.

I pay for 24 MBPS and I live 20 KM from the station which result in that I get only 13 MBPS.

This shouldn't affect fiber optics if you have that. 20 MBPS fiber optic = 20 MBPS even if you live 100 KM away from the station.

I should get 100 MBPS fiber optics in december or something.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
well, you better think of how it works. You need to live about 100 meters from the internetstation that sends the signal to you to actually get full speed.

I pay for 24 MBPS and I live 20 KM from the station which result in that I get only 13 MBPS.

This shouldn't affect fiber optics if you have that. 20 MBPS fiber optic = 20 MBPS even if you live 100 KM away from the station.

I should get 100 MBPS fiber optics in december or something.

20KM away from the exchage = NO DSL!!!!. The distance limit for 20Mbps over ADSL2+ is around 7,500 feet of wire. For 3Mbps, about 14,000 feet of wire. For 768kbps, around 22,000ft of wire. For 128kbps, around 28,000ft of wire. 28KM of wire would be really far away, and you'll be lucky if you can even hold 5kbps over that much wire. There'd just be too much attenuation and noise for it to work. You're probably fed from an RT or juction box.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
20KM away from the exchage = NO DSL!!!!. The distance limit for 20Mbps over ADSL2+ is around 7,500 feet of wire. For 3Mbps, about 14,000 feet of wire. For 768kbps, around 22,000ft of wire. For 128kbps, around 28,000ft of wire. 28KM of wire would be really far away, and you'll be lucky if you can even hold 5kbps over that much wire. There'd just be too much attenuation and noise for it to work. You're probably fed from an RT or juction box.

ah maybe we have a station in our town then. I didn't belive that because my town has 10 000 people and who sets a internet transmitter in such a town? I belived the transmitter was in gothenbourg but it maybe isn't