zzzz wtf this is lame

Iknowyou

Reaction score
I seriously dont get it, all i did was make 3 posts on my blog yesterday and made 2 pages and today....BOOM! I got suspended for:
Suspension Reason: You have been suspended for high system resource usage. Accounts are suspended for usage when they are detected to have consistently high cpu usage, memory usage, or process amounts. This is an automatic suspension, you're able to unsuspend yourself immediately. Warning 1 of 3

and the solution you provide below is:
Did you know that you can increase your account's alloted resources, preventing high resource usage suspensions? All that you need to do is upgrade to x10Hosting Prime for a low cost. More details available here: http://x10hosting.com/prime-membership

You advertised that everything is unlimited so now I am beginning to question if this is your way of getting ppl to the paid hosting. I was about to upgrade to paid hosting after a few weeks time once I increase my blog's content, now I seriously wonder. Definitely not happy, down time kills SEO.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"High system resource usage" has nothing to do with how many visitors you get* (bandwidth) or how much space you're taking up (although if you try to store the whole internet on a free hosting account, management might step in). It's about how much RAM and CPU your script is using. Some scripts are better-behaved than others (and WordPress is among the worst offenders, especially if you add plugins that use a lot of system resources themselves).

The limits are tighter on the Free Hosting servers than they are on the Premium plan, so some scripts that trigger suspensions on the free plan will run just fine on Premium. And, frankly, if you're running a business that depends on a web site, then a free hosting option is never a good solution -- since you are offering nothing as consideration, there is no contract as such, and so there is no sort of SLA (service level agreement) in place. Your site could go down for an extended period, or a glitch could leave you with missing data on the server, and there is no recourse. By all means, use free hosting as a testing platform (staying under the limits under moderate load will help you with scaling) but don't use it as a commercial platform without understanding the risks involved.

There is an entry in the x10Hosting wiki about high resource usage, including things you can do to make WordPress behave better.

* There is some small dependence on the number of visitors, but it's not about bandwidth. If your script is running frequently enough to run afoul of the "240 CPU seconds per hour" limit, then you're using more of the server's time and resources than the free hosting environment can support.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
Does using SEO script consume too much RAM btw?

Its a tutorial blog, I never said its commercial but thanks for your advice.

Also one suggestion I would give is, at least give me a warning next time before you suspend my account, I am sure a lot of other ppl out there who had this happen to them would find it a more comforting solution.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You get a warning on a paid account. On free accounts, you just get shut down -- but you can immediately unsuspend yourself the first couple of times it happens (with no staff intervention). There are just too many accounts per server allow scripts to go over quota, and few enough consequences (it's free, right?) to dissuade people from creating "greedy" scripts unless the barrier is firm and immediate. Corey (the CEO) has mentioned elsewhere that he may consider banning some well-known "high needs" CMS scripts on Free Hosting accounts because users blame the host for problems that are actually the fault of the script.

I don't work for x10Hosting, nor do I speak for them in any capacity, so take this as my opinion and my opinion alone: if I were to launch a blog -- that is, a site that isn't a "blog plus", a catalog, an online newpaper, didn't need to support eleventy-seven languages -- I'd develop my own (SEO doesn't need "modules" or "plugins"; it should be a basic part of the site design). There's not a lot to a blog, and it doesn't require a lot of computation server-side. WordPress and popular CMS packages like Joomla do need to do a lot server-side because they're trying to be all things to all people. For a free WordPress host, I'd use WordPress.com -- since they're responsible for the software themselves, they don't have a lot to complain about when their software gets out of control.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
Thank you for all those information, but I still find it a bit shocking that just because I am using free hosting they treat you as trash, especially when I didn't purposely try to go over my system usage. Unsuspending yourself takes time since you wouldn't know your site is down till you visit it.

I have a paid domain name for my site that's why I don't use a sub-domain from wordpress. Besides, Wordpress.com limits the user control too much. My profession is medical based, but my blog is about gaming. I certainly don't have that much time to develop my own SEO let alone develop a site using html,css,javascript, php and photoshop from scratch.

But yes, your reply is much appreciated.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
SEO isn't something you have to develop (as such); the only reason it's an add-on to WordPress is because the thing was done wrong in the first place. And, like I said, there isn't much to a blog -- take a look at Chyrp, for instance. As long as you have content that's well-written and marked up well (that is, your heading are actually headings rather than just bigger text, your images have ALT text where appropriate, etc.) and you have sensible URLs, SEO is already covered. You don't need to plug a resource hog into another resource hog to get results.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
What you are proposing is not to use wordpress at all? I would do that if I actually have the time to develop my own theme. My site http://www.bladeandsoulguide.com is using a theme that I really like. Take a look and you will know what I mean. Its a magazine based theme. I like pretty things, even though its just a "blog".

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
No, essellar did not propose to stop using wordpress at all. This is what he said:

As long as you have content that's well-written and marked up well (that is, your heading are actually headings rather than just bigger text, your images have ALT text where appropriate, etc.) and you have sensible URLs, SEO is already covered. You don't need to plug a resource hog into another resource hog to get results.

He's saying that you do not need an seo plugin. SEO is already covered if you take advantage of the permalinks section inside your admin backend of wordpress. Here's info on it from wordpress itself: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks. Take a look at that, and try using the info there to create the link structure that you want. You don't need a separate plugin for SEO if you do this.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I spent a large part of a pressional consulting career trying to talk people out of WordPress -- not to sell my own development (which many of my SMB clients could never have afforded), but to put them onto something that would lower their server requirements and let them get more bang for the buck. Yes, WordPress is the asy choice -- but it's almost always the wrong one.

A "theme" doesn't take a lot of work if the page markup from the blogging engine is well-done -- you should be able to do it quickly with CSS without having to alter the HTML at all. (If you haven't seen how much of a difference a simple stylesheet and graphics can make, you should take atour of the CSS Zen Garden. It's out of development now because it's already made it's point -- all of the pages there use exactly the same HTML file, the only difference being the stylesheet applied.)

Iknowyou

Reaction score
No, essellar did not propose to stop using wordpress at all. This is what he said:

He's saying that you do not need an seo plugin. SEO is already covered if you take advantage of the permalinks section inside your admin backend of wordpress. Here's info on it from wordpress itself: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks. Take a look at that, and try using the info there to create the link structure that you want. You don't need a separate plugin for SEO if you do this.

He is, ultimately, trying to say that Wordpress is a resource hog and that it is best that I don't use it. Oh and thanks I will take a look at the Permalinks stuff.

The thing is, like I've mentioned previously, you have to take time and skill into consideration. Web design and blogging are only my hobbies, but the rest of the time I have work and I am sometimes on-call. What you guys have suggested is great, I understand and appreciate that, but note that I am no where near your level so what you think is easy to do may not be as easily achieved by me, time wise.

Also I have to disagree on the CSS Zen Garden site. No offense but it does not look good at all. It may be simple and well structured, but to me it is definitely not my taste.

And I just got another suspension. Could any external factors play a part in this? Because this website was hosted using x10hosting for more than a week now and I only just started getting these messages last night and now. The seo was installed a week ago too.

OK great seems like it won't let me login to cPanel so I can't even do anything to fix it.

Last edited:

upendran

Reaction score
If what you are interested is only a wordpress blog, go for a host who DO NOT promise unlimited space and bandwidth. For a regular blogger even 1GB diskspace is enough. If you want to use images, host them on picassa or photobucket etc and link them.

I have not seen any webhost suspending any account using only a wordpress blog for HRU. X10 is the sole exception. It is your mistake not taking the 'unlimited' thing with a pinch of salt.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If what you are interested is only a wordpress blog, go for a host who DO NOT promise unlimited space and bandwidth. For a regular blogger even 1GB diskspace is enough. If you want to use images, host them on picassa or photobucket etc and link them.

I have not seen any webhost suspending any account using only a wordpress blog for HRU. X10 is the sole exception. It is your mistake not taking the 'unlimited' thing with a pinch of salt.

That is a completely false statement.

If you use JUST wordpress you won't get suspended. I can guarantee your plugins\addons\modules are causing your suspension. Also you can tune your wordpress blog to run more efficient to avoid suspensions while using some plugins. As I've said numerous times we have many users using wordpress blogs without any issues and they NEVER, NOT ONCE have been suspended.

Unlimited space and bandwidth have NOTHING to do with CPU usage. Whether we restricted you to 500MB or 1GB of disk space that has absolutely no bearing on what is allowed for your CPU usage.

When you say you have not seen and webhost suspending any account using only a wordpress blog, are you talking about free hosting? I hope you're comparing free hosting to free hosting and not free hosting to paid hosting.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
I appreciate this free web hosting and sure I regret the fact that I've hogged up too much CPU RAM and stuff, but what I find sad is that they suspend you right away instead of first giving u notice to fix the problem within 12-24 hours, treating non-paid member's website like trash. What I would really really appreciate is if the Admin could please unsuspend my account so that I can fix the problem? Even though it says I can unsuspend it immediately it won't allow me to. zzz

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate this free web hosting and sure I regret the fact that I've hogged up too much CPU RAM and stuff, but what I find sad is that they suspend you right away instead of first giving u notice to fix the problem within 12-24 hours, treating non-paid member's website like trash. What I would really really appreciate is if the Admin could please unsuspend my account so that I can fix the problem? Even though it says I can unsuspend it immediately it won't allow me to. zzz

If you're using more than your fair share of resources there is no time to warn you and let you continue overusing the resources. If a user on paid hosting was using enough resources to possibly cause service degradation for other users they would also be suspended without warning, this has nothing to do with you being a free hosting user. The fact of the matter is if another user on the system was causing your site to load slowly, would you rather we take care of the issue immediately or let your site load slow for the next 12 hours while we wait patiently for the user to come on and address the issue?

Your site has been unsuspended.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
If you don't know or dont have the knowledge to know "your fair share" of resource then I guess a suspension is really inevitable. And yes I see your point of suspending right away since you probably have a limit in the number of servers.

Thank you for the unsuspension.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
OK great seems like it won't let me login to cPanel so I can't even do anything to fix it.
cPanel is disabled when you are suspended. When you suspended, things start to go offline. cPanel automatically logs you out, and your site starts showing Internal Server Errors. Then, about 2 minutes later, you are suspended (ie. site shows suspended, control panel shows suspended, etc)

If you are suspended for high resource usage too many times, the suspension will become permanent so watch out!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are suspended for high resource usage too many times, the suspension will become permanent so watch out!

The suspension will NOT become permanent. After a 3 warnings (which do expire) within a short time frame you will need staff intervention to become unsuspended.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
is there some way you guys can implement something that shows your resource usage? T_T I'd hate to get suspended again by accident

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
is there some way you guys can implement something that shows your resource usage? T_T I'd hate to get suspended again by accident

Unfortunately by the time you saw your resource usage you'd be suspended. Which is why we allow you to unsuspend yourself. As a website owner you should be curious as to why your site is using so many resources and try to figure out why you are using too much. We host thousands of sites that never get suspended for high resource usage.

Iknowyou

Reaction score
Unfortunately by the time you saw your resource usage you'd be suspended. Which is why we allow you to unsuspend yourself. As a website owner you should be curious as to why your site is using so many resources and try to figure out why you are using too much. We host thousands of sites that never get suspended for high resource usage.

yea how I wish I have the time and knowledge to be curious :S