Setting Up Joomla with x10hosting - Mini-Guide

RedOrb

Reaction score
This is all based on my personal experience as of 16th March 2008, using latest Joomla release 1.5.1.
-------------------------------------------

1) Download the Joomla zip.

2) Register for an account with x10hosting :)

3) Login to Control Panel, and apply for PHP version 2 on the front page of your control panel(Not instant, & will have to wait for approval, in which time, it's highly likely that the Joomla installer will not work).

4) Go to File Manager, then upload the zip file, somewhere in your space.

5) Find the zip file and extract the contents to your web root (public_html). You should now be able to see the Joomla installer page when accessing your root.

6) Now go back to Control Panel and scroll down a bit to find and enter MySQL Databases under Databases. Once inside, create new database with appropriate name (Edit-Credit: kkenny ~ Rather than a typical string(Username, database name, etc) for your Joomla details, an abstract one would seem to increase security, ie, alphanumeric), now create a new user, and add the user to your database. Once done, select the user under the Current Databases and add all permissions. Now note down the joomla database name, and the username and password because x10hosting will automatically add prefixes to maintain unique identity.

7) Back on the Joomla install, go through the first couple of pages clicking next until you reach the database page. Add your database settings. Clicking next will take you to the FTP settings. You may or may not want to set this up, there are other ways to use FTP with x10hosting so I think this is down to personal preference, but in my experience, I went to the control panel again. And scrolled down the page to FTP Accounts in the 'Files' category. Creating a new user also creates a default directory, which you can enter into the Joomla details along with your user details. -Now, I presume x10hosting runs on Unix, so you'll have to enable the FTP file system layer in the Joomla installer options. Clicking next will take you to the main configuration.

8) Enter details, I think the email should be set to the following format, but this is the first time I've set up Joomla this way so, please correct me where wrong: usernameofchoice@domainname.x10hosting.com.

9) If you are reading this tutorial, then it's likely you will need sample data to get used to Joomla, so click Install Sample Data.

10) Click next and you are finished. Don't forget to rename or delete your Installation folder. It's probably best to write all the details down in a text file as you go, and then put that in a safe place, and attach a memory mnemonic to it. :)

Once again, this is not going to help everyone, so just PM or reply if you want an update or want to correct a bad.

---------------
E-C: Thanks:
kkenny

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
This should have been placed in the tutorials section of the forums, nice tutorial anyway :).

7/10

FalseHope

Reaction score
Moved to the tutorials section.

Nice tutorial by the way. :)

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
I'd give it a 6/10

Not because it's bad but because it has a few exploits.
Here's one.

create new database with appropriate name (how about joomla? ^.^),

Creating a database with an easy to guess name such as joomla isnt a good thing, that creates lots of security problems and could cost you getting your site hacked.

Same goes with the DB user.

The step with the FTP account also needs to be clarified a little, it's hard to understand what you are trying to get.

But overall it's a nice tutorial, and it's the best one using joomla! so far....

bludra84

Reaction score
Very nice, simple and clear. It amazes me that the Joomla site doesn't have a clear explanation of how to install it. Good work.

kkenny

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback, any suggestions?

Other than that little flaw it's great!

I didn't know Joomla didn't have a clear explanation on how to install on their site lols.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm, it's a really nice tutorial, but why not just use Fantastico to install it?

wobhurp

Reaction score
Thanks for the tuto, seems to be simple enought but complete enough.
I'll try asap

sunils

Reaction score
Its a good tutorials for a newbie on X10. they can read this tutorial and set a website using joomla.

mikeyp

Reaction score
Great tutorial Thanks!

Please can you add some more meat on the database connection from the instraller - I have tried so many permutations of host, dbname. password and all of them give the following errror message:

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

My database is called JoomlaDB - it appears as mikeyp_JoomlDB
The user is mikeyp and the username appears in the CP as mikeyp_mikeyp

I have tried various settings for the hostname - localhost , mysql.x10hosting.com, http:// mydomain.x10hosting.com, http://my real domain name.com

Everything I do gives the same error message.

The user has been added to the database and has all permissions. The DB checks out OK.

Any ideas please?

Cheers
Mike

mikeyp

Reaction score
Well, I got it fixed - simply deleted the database, recreated it and it all worked fine!
Edit:
Isn't Fantastico Deluxe much simpler to install Joomla

I don't believe it installs Joomla v1.5

Last edited:

chyun84

Reaction score
i'm having problem installing joomla 1.52
when i try to install the joomla, this error msg appear

'Fatal error: SUHOSIN - Use of eval is forbidden by configuration in /home/chyun84/public_html/libraries/joomla/utilities/simplexml.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 334'

i saw ur tutorial on this page about the step 2 which mention about using php version 2, so is it related to this?
and i'm not not sure how to change the php version 2, any suggestion? thanks

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i'm having problem installing joomla 1.52
when i try to install the joomla, this error msg appear

'Fatal error: SUHOSIN - Use of eval is forbidden by configuration in /home/chyun84/public_html/libraries/joomla/utilities/simplexml.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 334'

i saw ur tutorial on this page about the step 2 which mention about using php version 2, so is it related to this?
and i'm not not sure how to change the php version 2, any suggestion? thanks

Yes, that is the problem, login at http://x10hosting.com/login use your forum username and password, scroll all the way down to the left and then press the intermediate version, type in what you want it for and then submit it, it may take up to 24 hours for it to complete.