Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes PHP is OOPS supported in its latest versin.......

pyornide

Reaction score
Yes PHP is OOPS supported in its latest versin.......

To be fair, I never stated a complete lack thereof. I stated that it was a shoddy attempt on the developer's behalfs to establish a do all object model that wad created to go around the need for name spaces. I still have yet to see the issues I have referenced solved.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
users also post abt esacpe string in php pls

TheMan177

Reaction score
Okay, incredibly tired so let's see if I can get this all out and have it make sense.

pyornide summed up my thoughts quite nicely, PHP can really be a pain to work with. The language is riddled with some scary design decisions.

Also, as for what one of the previous posters stated about PHP's MySQL support, PHP really loses some points right away here since almost every tutorial still seems to suggest using PHP's old MySQL driver which promotes rather dodgy and insecure ways of doing things. Just generally, you often see people citing the quality of PHP's documentation. It's quite comprehensive, sure; though it doesn't go without making some really stupid and/or outdated suggestions. The user comment system--while a good idea in theory--may hinder more than help. I've fallen out of touch a bit though, so maybe things in these areas have improved.

Perl--not exactly the newest kid on the block, but its a solid and flexible language, and the community around it is still near unparalleled. Additionally, CPAN is quite an invaluable resource, if you need anything chances are there's already a module there that'll do it.

As for ASP.NET, I haven't worked with it enough to have much of an educated opinion. From what I've experienced, however, the overall ASP.NET way of doing things--configuration, data flow, conventions--just doesn't seem quite... right; not for the web. I can't base this on anything other than my personal opinion, of course. The framework obviously works for some.

Python is a versatile language with an extensive standard library and some nice documentation to go with it. It's equivalent to CPAN isn't as big, of course, however it still provides plenty of useful third-party libraries. A while ago I ditched PHP completely for creating any new web applications. Most of the applications I deploy on the web now are running Python, atop of a variety of frameworks and utilities, and maintaining them is much more satisfying. Alone, the increased maintainability the language allows was a big factor (out of many) of it winning me over.

My two cents.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Goood a well convincing reply

mixviet2008

Reaction score
I havnt used the Python or perl but used ASP.net and PHP. And i support PHP lol!!:biggrin:

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Users from now who are posting pls post their good and bad experince they had for whatever language they know

phazzedout

Reaction score
I am not a professional when it comes to Python programming, I am still a beginner at it but correct me if I am wrong but aren't ASP.net and PHP web programming while Python is not. Please do correct me though because I am still a beginner at all this.

I have heard about PERL as well. I have only used and played with PHP and Python though.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I tried both PYTHON and Perl and they didn't convinced me to move form PHP so I guess I'll stay with PHP+MySQL combination for a while.

As for the ASP.net I don't like and always try to avoid Micro$oft technologies. I haven't had a client that insisted on ASP.net so I never used it. I guess I was lucky :)

EDIT:
@phazzedout: You can use Python with Apache module http://www.modpython.org/

Last edited:

sonicsshadow

Reaction score
PHP mainly because I haven't seen the need to know more than PHP. If I ever need to learn any of the other languages maybe my opinion will change. However, for right now PHP is all I need.

phazzedout

Reaction score
@phazzedout: You can use Python with Apache module http://www.modpython.org/

Yes I have been doing some research on it since I posted that. I am liking it so far. Maybe I can program my website with Python. So far it seems I need to learn some HTML. Luckily I learned some PHP like 5 years ago but I am sure it is completely updated now.

zegnhabi

Reaction score
For me Perl its a legendary language used by the ancients, hehehehe ahm, Python its a Quetzalcoalt language and its very powerfull, and asp.net its pretty good, and PHP rocks, hehehe. I voted for Python!
Edit:
Hehehe de todos modos los 4 los se usar.

Last edited:

phazzedout

Reaction score
Compared to all the languages I have learned. Python seems fairly easy. Although all languages seem to revolve around the same premise so it is fairly easy to migrate to another language. I will see how good Python is for web development though. If I can build a nifty site that does everything PHP/MySQL does then I will be a follower of Python.

Parsa44

Reaction score
PHP and the rest are certainly better than asp.net.
asp.net sucks.

For web use and first language PHP is far superior to python and pearl.

Python however is a very powerfull language far more than PHP.
Eve-Online (online MMORPG) is coded in Python.

Pearl is very similar to PHP in terms of what it can do, however peal is harder to learn.
But PHP is easier to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.