PC Build

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can reconsider the optical drive as world is going away from CD or DVD usage.
A cheaper one will save money incase you want a drive such.
Currently it is on with USBs anyway.
This is what I'm thinking of doing for a PC build.

Suggestions/Comments?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
"Going away from opticals" what?

Blu-Ray is optical, that ain't exactly "going away" :p

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The added small expense of fitting air filters is worth considering because every house/office has some dust and washing a filter pad takes way less time than unplugging the tower to get it onto the bench for cleaning inside the case.

Personally I tend to avoid using the terrabyte size drives on a build unless I've a second one acting as a mirror. It's that nagging doubt about having all eggs in one basket. HDD caddies are also a good investment depending on the setup. Sometimes bulk storage capacity is not a high priority but disc access speed is, applications such as video editing and number crunching being prime examples where some of the more obscure RAID configurations are required spanning multiple drives. They also look cool because few people have them on a desktop system.

Without going over the specs in detail it's hard to say but would probably also fit a higher wattage PSU just to err on side of caution as that processor is pretty hardcore that and USB plugins do tend to mulitply rapidly for geeks.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The added small expense of fitting air filters

+1 cause i didn't even think they actually made commercial air filters for them; I've got a dryer vent sheet wrapped around 2 plastic straws as mine, I'll be upgrading to that more professional version soon enough :p

stardom

Reaction score
My only question is. What is the intent for this pc? Gaming or ???

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I was mentioning about the purchase of High end CD/DVD drive..which I thought would be substituted with a relatively cheaper one.
I agree that I have a different opinion on DVD technology and I was for USB and cloud storage tech.
No qualms.
Congrats on your New PC.
Wish Great going.
Err... CDs and DVDs are very much alive. Not sure what you're talking about.

Also:

Updated Parts:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I suggest you invest a little bit more money and get the Core i5-2500k instead of Core i5-2400 for your CPU.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I need to get a new system.