500 credits answer a couple of easy questions

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am offering 500 credits to the one that can best answer my questions....I am also going to rep everyone that tries.

My company wants to create a site that is as close to http://www.fool.com as it can be.

Not necessarily with that content, but the actual CMS the site is using....
Tell me the CMS they are using and you're one step closer to getting the 1000 credits. I think it is Joomla but I am not sure.

Next I would also like the name of the discussion board program they are using, maybe a link to where I can get it would be better. ...the link to what they have is....here (too long to post it here).

My last question is....

What do you think about a site, that lets EVERYONE criticize

everyone/law/country/president/economical decision or anything else out there?

Okay, please stick to these small rules...

when you answer these questions, please do your best with it, as the person who I think answered it to the best of their ability will get the 500 CREDITS.

When you do answer these questions...please let them be answered in one post, not 2 or 3 or whatever..I want it easier for me to see who won the credits.

the sooner I get this information, the sooner I can start adding more to the company site....and the sooner maybe you the winner will get the 500 credits.

Thankyou.
Hope I get help with these ASAP. :)

withambition

Reaction score
I'm assuming that they designed everything themselves or had it custom-made by some one. Depending on how many users are active at the site, I would participate in the discussions. I understand that all websites must start out rather small, but if it's advertised well, it would probably flourish.

Wizet

Reaction score
1. With major companies like that (or at least I think that it is a company) I don't think they would use other people's cms. They would create their own cms to make them look "professional"
2. Same answer for number 1.
3. I don't think it would be good because if that were to happen there would be a lot of flaming and cursing. And next thing you know your x10 account could be terminated (if that is possible).

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1. With major companies like that (or at least I think that it is a company) I don't think they would use other people's cms. They would create their own cms to make them look "professional"
2. Same answer for number 1.
3. I don't think it would be good because if that were to happen there would be a lot of flaming and cursing. And next thing you know your x10 account could be terminated (if that is possible).

-1. with a company who has me trying to run their online operations...they don't want to waste money....possible to tell me what would be good for it though?
-3. criticize everything...site's ideas...would be heavily moderated...with posts having to be approved before being posted...or I'll have to get someone or myself to fix the profanity filters and such

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
1.) I agree, it would be their own type... but for a person with you, it would be Joomla!
It is very close to joomla, but i have no proof that it is.
2.) Joomla i think has this kind of thing, maybe you need a bridge...
If you want it to have a forum under the heading WITHOUT redirecting completely, then Mambo is the answer because Joomla has no more bridges, they cancelled all bridges with all the forum types (SMF Phbb3 etc.)
3.) Lets see.... you would need a large amount of people in the first place, and I would suggest starting off with a largely big topic, and as people come along, add more and more, do not just start off with a whole bunch of things, it will seem too much for the members... simplicity first!

Within strict guidelines, it should be okay, just the amount of traffic should be the problem!

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
They are using Joomla, but removed the link at the bottom and had a custom made template from here.

Same goes for the Discussion Boards module, they got custom one here.

I used to go on their site a LONG while back (for stock market game in HS) and they used a different template (one that was already created for free) that was from Design Joomla. I know this, because there was a Design Joomla link at the bottom before (you must have one if using the free tempaltes).

Hope this cleared things up.

Btw, he is asking on what they used, not what to use.

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
And keep your discussion in the permitted language... it has already given me a suspension...

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
-1. with a company who has me trying to run their online operations...they don't want to waste money....possible to tell me what would be good for it though?
-3. criticize everything...site's ideas...would be heavily moderated...with posts having to be approved before being posted...or I'll have to get someone or myself to fix the profanity filters and such

... isnt what that he meant? by -1?

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
... isnt what that he meant? by -1?
Yes, but that was before I posted and he hasn't seen my post yet.
Meaning that he first just wanted to know what they were using, but he thought wizit was right (not trying to be rude).

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They are using Joomla, but removed the link at the bottom and had a custom made template from here.

I used to go on their site a LONG while back (for stock market game in HS) and they used a different template (one that was already created for free) that was from Design Joomla. I know this, because there was a Design Joomla link at the bottom before (you must have one if using the free tempaltes).

I think that is the closest someone got to helping me with the questions and providing a link to the site they may have gotten it from. Thankyou for your help.

I sent over 500 credits.
I also sent rep to those that tried to help, if it did not say, please distribute them somewhere else first.

JXVForums

Reaction score
1) Like everyone else it is custom made, but this could be accomplished with a Joomla based CMS. The theme for me is custom, but a close to that one could be found at RocketTheme.com
2( The discussion boards, are custom made, there are few to match that kind, but I would though get a built in discussion board like Fireboard or a simple one from extensions.joomla.org
I wouldn't recommend getting anything too advanced or its theme doesn't flow with the board also.
3) Not exactly a great site. Sorry to be mean but few sites that don't follow the mainstream flow make it, and many of them fail horribly. Try making it political, and follow the political parties instead.

^.^ Hope I get 500 creds.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that is the closest someone got to helping me with the questions and providing a link to the site they may have gotten it from. Thankyou for your help.

I sent over 500 credits.
I also sent rep to those that tried to help, if it did not say, please distribute them somewhere else first.

JXV, I already gave out 500 credits : )
but you helped as well, and gave a well thought out answer....

1) Like everyone else it is custom made, but this could be accomplished with a Joomla based CMS. The theme for me is custom, but a close to that one could be found at RocketTheme.com
2( The discussion boards, are custom made, there are few to match that kind, but I would though get a built in discussion board like Fireboard or a simple one from extensions.joomla.org
I wouldn't recommend getting anything too advanced or its theme doesn't flow with the board also.
3) Not exactly a great site. Sorry to be mean but few sites that don't follow the mainstream flow make it, and many of them fail horribly. Try making it political, and follow the political parties instead.

^.^ Hope I get 500 creds.

Rockettheme....i'll check it out....

discussion boards....do you recommend me buying Fireboard? anyone have any thoughts on this?.....I'll try fireboard how long does it take to deliver if I bought it, or is it download-able right after buying it? I always thought if you pay for something versus getting something similar to it that is free...the paid one would be better....

Making it political....the part of the project for the business is the critics part...and party members talking about what they feel about this or that country/law/president/....there is a lot more...that I did not mention since they are not yet on the to-do list but in the we will think about it list.

the politics part does get into it, later on they said that they have a lot to say about the economy, and direct 100% effective ways to get it started again. I have a lot to say about it as well....you would be surprised what Obama is planning on doing, and what it really does in the long run, 1 trillion dollars so far and as far I can see...we will just keep on wasting more money to get the economy of the US back on track after the old administration left.

Sent over 500 credits. : )
and tried repping as well...not sure if it will work, since it is in the same thread as the others.

--------------------------------------
Don't post if you think you will get 500 credits, this offer is over. : )
though some more questions did spring up in this thread, that I am not paying to get answers to....would be nice if I did though.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Joomla because of the support and customzations is easy

phpBB, same reason as joomla

I don't really understand the last question

JXVForums

Reaction score
Fireboard is free, but I wouldn't recommend it if it doesn't seem amazing. I would however esoTalk at esoTalk.com its simple to use, and really easy to start with, especially if a site hasn't taken off yet. Other forums would be a bridge for phpBB3 one of the best in my opinion, RocketTheme has their own joomla and phpbb3 set up, where they have matching themes, especially if you really haven't started yet, its the best way. It is expensive though, but their themes are amazing, its just beyond and they are worth it, especially with all the additional features. It seems that you plan to buy, so rockettheme is worth it at a level. Fireboard is found at bestofjoomla.com, hope you have successful site. Message me, or post back if you need anything else to know.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a highly customized version of joomla. It would take an awful lot of work for you to customize joomla to be the same as on fool.com besides the fact that you would first need what customizations they made, which I don't know.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I found a very similar template compared to the one they are using. terrantribune from RocketTheme, which was a suggested place to go and get joomla templates. I thank you all that said to go to RocketTheme....it twas really helpful.

Now i'm just trying to figure out what mods they are using hehe...let alone trying to figure out how in the world I install them.

MMOWORLD.CO.CC

Reaction score

They are NOT using JOOMLA! Why not? Try IntelliTamper. Normally the admin should be located in http://www.fool.com/administrator. If not,no joomla

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can always rename the folder to whatever

they probably renamed it for security purposes....something like ahdihiajjak.php something random...it's what I did, and would recommend for all other people to do so that there is less a chance of them getting hacked.