which u give the first periority

• desktop

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • laptop

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters

Psoewish

Reaction score
Untill I got this laptop I'm working on now, I would have chosen Desktop.

HOWEVER, now I use my laptop for everything now. It's simply better than my desktop (and I upgraded my desktop about 4-5 months ago). For example, in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I put all settings at the highest and it plays like a breeze ...

Also, I like to be able to just sit around doing random stuff. Sitting in the same chair everytime you wanna get some work done isn't fun. I like to go sit in the kitchen, coach, on the bed, lay on the floor even sometimes to do my stuff. I'm loving it so much!!!

And well, when I'm at home my PC serves for 2 things now: playing music and downloading things, so it doesn't slow down my laptop while I'm doing other stuff on that xD

darkstang

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of laptops that could replace high end desktops lately. The best part? They're actually reasonably priced (under 2 grand). So I wouldn't be surprised if regular users and gamers alike started moving over to laptops. I'd say in about two years the only reason to buy a tower would be to run a server of some sort, or have an incredible machine for compiling large programs.

naynesh

Reaction score
I would choose destop computer because it is a computer made for use on a desk in an office or home and is distinguished from portable computers such as laptops or PDAs. Desktop computers are also known as microcomputers. There are four types of desktop computers: home computers, or personal computers; workstations, Internet servers, and special communications computers.

Desktops are currently the most affordable computers and ubiquitous in businesses, schools, and households; they are used for performing office tasks, organizing digital photos, video editing, and Internet access. Nearly all desktop computers are modular, with components that can easily be replaced or upgraded.That's why i like them.And they are good for workspace.

faolan

Reaction score
I have to say that I come in on the side of laptops here. I have gamed in the past, and for that I have always used a desktop. The reasoning for that was so that I could keep individual components at top performance.

That said, the reason I prefer laptops is the simple fact that I'm a writer. Being a writer, I need to be able to jot down ideas as they come to me, or even just write away for hours on end. Currently I'm using an old Compaq Presario 1685 with 64MB of RAM and Win98. Yes, it's a heavy beast and it gets hot on the underside, but it does everything I need at this time. I will be adding another 128MB of RAM and upgrading to WinXP Pro, but that's not an absolute necessity at this time.

Ultimately, as has been said many times in this thread, what you choose will depend on what you do with your computer. Me, I'll stick with my laptop... I just wish the TabletPCs would come down in price!

lpeters

Reaction score
I've used both the Desktop Computer and the Laptop but I think the Laptop is definately the better of the 2.

The Desktop Computer is good if you want to be able to do certain things that require a static IP address like host games on a piece of Game Creation Software called BYOND.

However the Laptop is better if you want to be able to work on something without having to be at home all of the time. The Laptop also gives you better options for Internet Connectivity. The Desktop Computer means you have to have a static line for your Internet but the Laptop allows you to go anywhere in range of a central hub and allows you to connect to the internet. This also means you don't even have to be in your own home to use it.

Overall I think that the Laptop is better as it has come into it's own after it has become affordable, small, compact and it can run off of a battery which makes it even more mobile and useful for those that never stay in the same place.

wh00p101

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops and 3 desktops one desktop runs as a fileserver/backup for my house.. my gf has a laptop and a desktop and I have a laptop and a desktop. I prefer a laptop over a deskto simply because I move around a lot.. and I hate being tied down to one spot to do something... for instance if i'm doing homework while i'm cooking tea i want to be able to continue it without forgetting about the meal i'm cooking so i take the laptop to the kitchen...

Swiblet

Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Desktops are better in every way regarding quality. Laptops are better in every way regarding convenience. If you need to be on the run or hate having to walk upstairs to do something small on the computer, you need a laptop. If you want to....*breathes*...play shooting games, upgrade easier, pay less money, have more slots to upgrade with, have something that looks cool in the corner of your room, have more memory, have better graphics, and use a mouse....use a desktop ^^

Also, it's more difficult to build your own laptop, is possible at all.

I like desktops. *nods*

~~Ben

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Besides, It will costs more to repair your laptop if its broken. The hardware individual parts might cost more than you bought your laptop for. ;)
-Hosting4Life

If this where ever the case, wouldn't it be a good idea to get a new laptop?

As to a static IP, uhm I am on a laptop and have a static IP.

Arthiel

Reaction score
Desktop's are better. I personally like Desktop's better because they are easier to add hardware too, meaning that they are more...adaptable? Here's a scenario. Your graphics card dies on your desktop. What do you do? Pop your case open, remove it, and buy another one. Laptop? Totally different story. You can't replace it. You'd have to send it in, wait, pay shipping and crap, get it back three months later and find out that they put the wrong card in. Also, any technology that they put into a laptop, they've already put into a desktop. Dead argument; Desktop wins hardcore.​

satheesh

Reaction score
My vote for Laptop.
Because easy to carry from place to another.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Destop is great for overclocking, laptop not such a good idea. But for convinience I stick with the top.

Arthiel

Reaction score
For convenience? All you need to carry around a desktop is a backpack (for cords, keyboard, and mouse), and two arms for case and monitor.​

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If it was a LCD screen and the case had a handle, then yes it would be easy to carry.
Still doesn't have the practicality of a laptop. 2 different types of tool, for 2 different jobs.

Does anyone here have a overclocked desktop?

thepsyfamily

Reaction score
yes I overcloked my athlon 64 3500 - 2700 mhz

my amd 64 4200 x2 to 2850 mhz

My new quad core Q6600 to 3.9 ghz

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hectic, cool.
Never done it myself. Was reading some stuff at Toms Hardware. Looks like fun if you could aford to replace parts often.
Made me think what would happen if you took a machine like your quad core(what graphics cards in it?) and took 2 Gigabyte i-Rams running 2g in RAID0?
whats the life of your cpu's?

Arthiel

Reaction score
I'm going to overclock in April. No idea what it does, supposedly makes the processor run better? Don't know, but the computer I'm "building" is like...meant for overclocking. I have a 1g budget also, so, I think I'm in the clear.​

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Unless you are following a tried and tested guide to a specific platform, I would recomend you find out what it does. Overclocking reduces life span on chips and components. Quite drastically to. Some of the stuff I read was reffering to a lifespan of a year on CPUs.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Overclocking basically amplifies the "pressure" of the data going through the chip's lanes. This leads to wear and tear, and overheating (if you don't prepare accordingly with cooling systems). The overheating occurs because overclocking uses more electricity and power. When it pulls more energy into its core, it leads to less life span. However, with cooling and smart overclocking, it has no effect. It does make the processor run better, but you might have to buy a new one sooner than you would if you just used it regularly.

I say go for it, but only after you know EVERYTHING, and only after you explore your motherboard menus until you know them like the back of your mouse. Only then are you ready to run that risk.

Don't ask me for help on overclocking >.> I currently use a Compaq computer with a Compaq bios that doesn't let me access the options menu -_- I have no experience, but I have done all the research on it, since I plan to overclock soon.

~~Ben

Arthiel

Reaction score
A friend who is planning to become A+ Certified this summer is helping me, so, I feel pretty confident. Plus, my current hardware list is extremely well with overclocking, so, I believe I will be alright. The Motherboard, processor, power supply, and even the case is meant for overclocking. It's going to be pretty cool. And I'm only going to run it while I game.​

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As far as i know an overclock, isnt something you switch on and off. In the process you change all the settings on the board. Thus rolling back to a normal setup would requier change everyt setting every time.