which u give the first periority

• desktop

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • laptop

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters

theparadesquare

Reaction score
I really don't know where i'd be without my laptop it's so cool and i prefer it to a desktop because i can walk around the house with it

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are only clocking the cpu limit then thats ok. But a good ovelclock seems to consist of a change in every piece of hardware on the system.

Arthiel

Reaction score
Yeah. Turns out I'm not going to be overclocking anymore. The decision was made when my friend, Keith, told me that my computer could literally burst into flames before my very eyes. A little power isn't worth that. Though, the motherboard I planned on getting( I'm not getting it anymore, due to the processor not fitting the board ) had a power boosting setting built in specifically for overclocking. All I'm changing is the Case, because there are better cases for my computer.​

Sohail

Reaction score
It depends really, I dont travel that much so i would go for desktop for space and speed. Even if you were the travelling type - You could store all of your data on an external hard drive. So you wouldnt need a useless laptop.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends really, I dont travel that much so i would go for desktop for space and speed. Even if you were the travelling type - You could store all of your data on an external hard drive. So you wouldnt need a useless laptop.

What good is an external drive without a machine to read the data on it? If laptops are so usless, why do more people choose to move over to them?

Swiblet

Reaction score
Because people like to move in general =0 It is quite convenient, and life is getting faster in the American culture, now more than ever.

~~Ben

Tideas

Reaction score
I still think desktop comp is the way to go if you need to do powerful stuff, like video editting or playin games. But if you want to just do some word processing,or what not, that doesn't requires a lot of computing resources, then mini-laptops are the way to go.

I love my laptop, heh

Arthiel

Reaction score
For work, laptops are better. Though, for gamers and people who change their computers around a lot, Desktops are the way to go.​

symbolicpixel

Reaction score
I have a laptop. I know desktops are slightly better in some cases, but I need some mobility! It's shocking to see any computer sit in one spot and collect enough dust to draw allergies, no matter what the circumstance. To put this in simplest form, dust can be a higher disadvantage for desktops than for notebooks if you ask me.

$/X

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
What good is an external drive without a machine to read the data on it? If laptops are so usless, why do more people choose to move over to them?

Haha, but at least you can take your work with you! Maybe you could get hold of someone elses desktop computer and connect your external hard drive to that! ;) But look at it this way - Lets say you are creating the graphics for the ape in the movie King Kong, If you've watched the film then you'll notice that it looks completely life-like. You would need high processing speed to be able to do things like this. The program used is called Final Cut Pro if you haven't heard of it. I don't think you would see someone creating powerful things like this on a laptop. So it really does depend on the kind of person you are then though I would still prefer a desktop computer as I don't travel that much and I just hate it when it says 'not responding' or something similar to that! :mad:

naynesh

Reaction score
Laptop arnt winning because they dont provide you with all the abilites which the Destop computer provides you with.The destop computer gives you more space,more things meaning mouse.I know you can get mouses with the Laptop but you then have to go into a store and buy them seperately.Unlike the Destop comtputer which gives you the mouse.

symbolicpixel

Reaction score
Depending on where you buy or build/customize your laptop at, this is not always true. There can be enough parts to make laptops as efficient as desktops; they can get more expensive however if the consumer does not shop around long enough.

$/X

Laptop arnt winning because they dont provide you with all the abilites which the Destop computer provides you with.

thepsyfamily

Reaction score
well I will vote for both, I´m not rich but i use my cash on hardware not on drinks!

As a laptop I have a genex 17" with a 7800gtx I pwns very well but it was really expensive. If u buy a new laptop make sure it is upgradeable, In the new ones like mine u can change gpu!

But ofcourse i will recommended a desktop, with the right components on it!
I been overcooking for many years, and i only burned ram on guaranty! (i got the cash back)

If u want to buy a new desktop i could build u a pwning machine for 1.200 usd The best atm. A laptop of that range will go up to 3000 usd (that´s what i payed for my laptop)

The difference overcooking is not that big but enough to give YOU 3000 etra points in 3d mark06, that is a lot in games!

My quad not overcloked gives 10.000

And overcloked 14.000

So for me is big difference! I cloked my cpu from 2.4 to 3.6ghz and it can do 4.2ghz

My 2 cents! cheers PsyXeon

All my wishdom comes from guru3d U all know that wesite, so visit the forum!

Last edited:

naynesh

Reaction score
Depending on where you buy or build/customize your laptop at, this is not always true. There can be enough parts to make laptops as efficient as desktops; they can get more expensive however if the consumer does not shop around long enough.

$/X
True point there.I didnt look at all the aspects of these 2 great inventions.But as always the laptop can be in the winning position,because of the memory.I think the laptop would be better by adding more memory.Also whats the most amount of memory you can get on a laptop and on a destop computer?

symbolicpixel

Reaction score
Let's see, my laptop is at 512MB right now, I can go as high as 4096MB (4GB) and still have a safe notebook. But I only have two slots to put the memory in.

Computer name: SYMBOLIC_X
Your Ticket #: 40LLKRL
BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS Date: February 8th 2007
BIOS ID: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
BIOS OEM: Unknown
Chipset: Athlon 1100 rev 0
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Motherboard: Presario V5000 (RG324UA#ABA)
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2.0
Maximum Memory: 4096MB
Installed Memory: 512MB
Memory Config: Slot1:512 Slot2:0

Last edited:

satbir

Reaction score
Desktop used to win hands down with power user earlier however now laptop are fast catching up and with ease of working from anywhere and everywhere makes it our favorite.

porky101

Reaction score
Desktop

I chose desktop because its just better for customization and u are more "free" with it also it runs faster i believe. Only if i needed mobility I would get a laptop otherwise, I would get a desktop AND a laptop.

alfred

Reaction score
I use laptops only. Why? Because they can everything a PC can and are easier to move about.