Votes: 15 45.5%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I found a banner on the top of the forums regarding the election. I want to know what people from x10Hosting think about this.

Did Barack Obama buy his election?

As alot of people know Obama spent a great amount of money on his presidential campaign, with a total at least doubling that of his rivals.

Barack Obama was spending at close to $91 million in just two weeks, where John McCain was only spending a mere $22 million in a two week period.

Why do think he spent so much money during his election, while John McCain only spent a small amount?

------
My opinion is- of course, and everyone does it....

Did he buy the election........ is anyone not from this world for even thinking any president did not buy their election?

For the USA's entire presidential history other then George Washington's election, the person who wasted the most money on the campaign usually always won.

So if you believe that he did buy it, yes HE DID, just almost every other former president of the USA.

Statistics on how much money the winners used compared to the losers of the election show the one who wins did IN FACT PAY THE MOST in the election.

NOTE: I was hoping he would win as well, though another post may say I wanted John McCain to win.

Feel free to voice your opinion on this.

Thank you.

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
It's a political ad. It's meant to dishonor other politicians. int today's world you NEED to spend that insane amount of money, even to be recognized. Again, it's an ad, so it doesn't mean much to me.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So the ad is linking to a survey site. It's a good idea though, putting something that controversial on an ad, that should generate a lot of hits.o

I hope I didn't do anything against forum rules.... did I?

gambel340

Reaction score
Wouldn't he have also received more support and donations meaning he'd have more money to spend?

kkenny

Reaction score
I hope I didn't do anything against forum rules.... did I?

Yes you have.
You need to have a post in crossfire have more than a one line sentence otherwise it shall get deleted. It's just what's commonly accepted in this forum.

As for Obama buying his election, no he did not. McCain just isn't what's right for this country. Obama is.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes you have.
You need to have a post in crossfire have more than a one line sentence otherwise it shall get deleted. It's just what's commonly accepted in this forum.

As for Obama buying his election, no he did not. McCain just isn't what's right for this country. Obama is.

Wouldn't he have also received more support and donations meaning he'd have more money to spend?

Ow, I see what I did, I posted something and it was less than one line, I am sorry for that, you can delete the post, since I did not follow the rules, you can take the credits I earned from the post also since this was an extra credits (section of the forum).

McCain does have a different perspective on many things Obama has, that was a leading cause to him not getting elected. People say it is also Sarah Palins fault he did not win but I think if anything I would have voted for the Republicans if she was the one becoming president.

She may not know many things unlike her president nominee but what the president does is not entirely only the presidents fault, it has to do with congress accepting the Presidents ideas when they know they were wrong.

If McCain was more favored, he would have received more cash to spend on the donation so that would show why he did not win, less cash=less supporters, less supporters=the other guy winning the election.

NOTE: I wanted Obama to win also, but people in the area I live say he bought it, and here I am asking other people.

Last edited:

Scott

Reaction score
I do not like McCain at all. I'm glad Obama won, and no, He didn't "buy" his election.

rlodge

Reaction score
Just keep one thing in mind. When this country started it's slide, Obama, Biden and McCain were in the Senate where they had control of the country almost as much as the president did. They helped put us in our current state and then, when election time rolled around, promised change.

BTW, what exactly did Obama promise to change? He promised change, but what? Obama won solely because everyone saw McCain as Bush.

As far as money spent on a campaign, McCain had a very difficult position. Spend too much and look like another Bush thus losing the election. Spend too little and lose to the higher spending Democrats.

I, for one, don't care for any of them because, as I said, they were the ones in charge (except for Sarah Palin) that put this country on it's economic slide to begin with. Promise all the change you want but fix what you screwed up!

And yes, Obama bought his election indirectly with the amount of money he spent. Nothing wrong with it. Welcome to capitalism.

Last edited:

scottnj

Reaction score
Well, it is sort of like whoever gets the head start first, and gets more money from fund raising, will have more money to advertise, thus more support and funding coming in.

So yes, since he did get a huge amount of attention, he was able to get more support and more money. Thus being able to purchase those ridiculously long, two-minute commercials. (Those got annoying after about the third time)

Edit:
Just keep one thing in mind. When this country started it's slide, Obama, Biden and McCain were in the Senate where they had control of the country almost as much as the president did. They helped put us in our current state and then, when election time rolled around, promised change.

BTW, what exactly did Obama promise to change? He promised change, but what? Obama won solely because everyone saw McCain as Bush.

As far as money spent on a campaign, McCain had a very difficult position. Spend too much and look like another Bush thus losing the election. Spend too little and lose to the higher spending Democrats.

I, for one, don't care for any of them because, as I said, they were the ones in charge (except for Sarah Palin) that put this country on it's economic slide to begin with. Promise all the change you want but fix what you screwed up!

And yes, Obama bought his election indirectly with the amount of money he spent. Nothing wrong with it. Welcome to capitalism.

I Agree with you completely

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
He got much of his campaign money from rally's, which he needed to be supported for in the first place. If he was not already the most popular, he would not have the money to begin with.
That is an extremely cheap way to dishonor politicians, is there any honor in this world??
Anyway, it is clear after bush, Obama had the most chances of winning =)

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What Rlodge said is correct, they were the ones who sent us on this economic slide except for Sarah Palin, change has been said will happen but it is difficult to do, anyone have family that has been to any of the congressman meetings? these people take not a couple of hours but days, weeks and sometimes even months to decide what the driving age in a state will be, or to do whatever they do.

Did he buy his election, it depends on the meaning of this phrase but according to capitalism, yes he did.

As Twinkle stated Obama got his Campaign money from rally's which he did need support for in the first place. And I have to agree if he was not the most popular to begin with he would not have had that amount of money.

A lot of people say that he did buy his election, but like I said in my first post, any former and future president (other then George Washington) did waste or will waste more money if they are the ones to win.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he BOUGHT the election per se, but he did have a significant monetary advantage. He already had a majority lead in terms of popular votes, and that half hour ad he purchased probably convinced a lot of independent voters in key states.

I figure Obama had so much momentum going for him it was an inevitable win anyway

scottnj

Reaction score
I have to agree with you guys, especially John and Rlodge.

Anyways....

I also find it very interesting to note that right off of the Democratic Party Website (http://www.democrats.org/a/party/history.html) you can find the following:

"Thomas Jefferson founded the Democratic Party in 1792 as a congressional caucus to fight for the Bill of Rights and against the elitist Federalist Party. In 1798, the "party of the common man" ....."

Isn't it slightly ironic that the party of the common, middle class person, could spend millions and millions of dollars per week to try and get your vote. Even though it works, It is ridiculous!

fbieventservices

Reaction score
That is why it is called campaigning. You spend money to get your word out, express your ideas, and hell if you have the money -- btw, that your supporters provided, give them exactly what they want. More of you.

rlodge

Reaction score
As I said in another thread, don't let him off the hook now. Whether you're a Democrat or Republican. They (the government) work for you. Get to know your representatives and demand that they represent you.

Ask clear and concise questions and demand clear and concise answers. Make sure they know that they work for you and if you're unhappy with what they're doing, they'll be fired (VOTED OUT OR IMPEACHED).

We don't kneel to them. They owe their position to us. Make them work for you and don't take "no" for an answer without a clear reason.

I love this country very much and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I do demand that my voice is heard. One voice is just a squeak to them. Millions of voices require that they take notice and take action. Write to them. E-mail them. Call them. Make sure your voice is heard. Don't be a "sheep" following the flock.

bawii

Reaction score
obama didn't necessarily buy his election... it's all campaigning. buying his election would mean that he bribed and paid everyone to vote for him, which of course, is illegal
... but I guess he bought our hearts with his great oratory skills :biggrin:

scottnj: I'm not sure you know this, but you need millions in order to run for president. I think they meant "common man" in a financial sense, I'm sure we've never had a democratic president who is financially a "common man" :p. you gotta spend money in order to get your name out. no one is going to vote for you if they don't know you even exist.

really, it's all a part of the very expensive political game. you can't not spend money and expect to win presidency

vmadarasz

Reaction score
I found a banner on the top of the forums regarding the election. I want to know what people from x10Hosting think about this.

Did Barack Obama buy his election?

As alot of people know Obama spent a great amount of money on his presidential campaign, with a total at least doubling that of his rivals.

Barack Obama was spending at close to $91 million in just two weeks, where John McCain was only spending a mere $22 million in a two week period.

Why do think he spent so much money during his election, while John McCain only spent a small amount?

------
My opinion is- of course, and everyone does it....

Did he buy the election........ is anyone not from this world for even thinking any president did not buy their election?

For the USA's entire presidential history other then George Washington's election, the person who wasted the most money on the campaign usually always won.

So if you believe that he did buy it, yes HE DID, just almost every other former president of the USA.

Statistics on how much money the winners used compared to the losers of the election show the one who wins did IN FACT PAY THE MOST in the election.

NOTE: I was hoping he would win as well, though another post may say I wanted John McCain to win.

Feel free to voice your opinion on this.

Thank you.

Well...Just because He spent millions of $$$ to his campaign, it doesnt mean straightforward He bought the whole election...

He was supported & is supported widely in the US and in overseas as well....

He won it, He deserved & worked hard for it...So Let Him Enjoy it , if We can call leading the US as the president in one of the hardest times of history enjoying...LoL

So.....Keep Going Obama