[Game Programming] Highlander

Zdroyd

Reaction score
As a Game Developer my self I do not see how you plan to pull this off...

To make a Game as good as you are planning you would need: years of development time, an extreemly organized team, and actual real world contact with the developers.

I suggest you get some friends togeather, insted of asking random people online...

The only way you could have a chance of making this game is if it was a simple 2D game made with something like Game Maker...

I am sorry to be so critical... but I do not see this to be a pratical Idea. (This plan of yours is nothing but a common Pipe Dream)

Last edited:

naerey

Reaction score
As a Game Developer my self I do not see how you plan to pull this off...

To make a Game as good as you are planning you would need: years of development time, an extreemly organized team, and actual real world contact with the developers.

I suggest you get some friends togeather, insted of asking random people online...

The only way you could have a chance of making this game is if it was a simple 2D game made with something like Game Maker...

I am sorry to be so critical... but I do not see this to be a pratical Idea. (This plan of yours is nothing but a common Pipe Dream)

In a few words, that's right.

Though don't shatter your dreams, just start small.
Nobody started running before learning to walk!!

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, me and MasterRocker do have previous experiences not in such a big project but smaller ones, for now though i am placing this on hold as i am quite busy with tafe work.

T

themasterrocker

Hello, me and MasterRocker do have previous experiences not in such a big project but smaller ones, for now though i am placing this on hold as i am quite busy with tafe work.

Correction Hellsheep Me and themasterrocker ... lol... Anywayz, yes I´ve had loads of experience and i can do all the website coding from my house address and have people doing parts to it in different countries :thefinger and we all know its a big task to do and will take the amount of time it will take but we don´t need you asking questions that aren´t relevent to the topic, although it bumps the thread up :drool: However at the moment me and hellsheep are just taking people down still for recruits ready for when we finish our year 11 GCSE´s to do this topic as we will have more time spare, However the members from what I hear as choosing to still work in spare time at this. E.G Pictures & graphics, that sort of area so then we are more prepared for when we come and start the massive production of coding etc.. Yes we know our site has gone down, however I will be putting a new one up soon as an addon domain to my site therefore it will be alot more easier for me Head of HTML to code the site to play the game.

berserkguard

Reaction score
I am good with with making images/textures and am great at 3D modelling using Blender.

I also know a little C++ and basic databasing but probably not enough to help a ton in that field.

Feel free to contact me,

EDIT: Found out you guys got the site already down,
So I can help mostly with making 3D/2D graphics.
~Ryan

Last edited:
T

themasterrocker

What do you mean a site already down? lol, and i was going to offer you a job anyway :p We need people like 3D graphic modellers and making images and textures etc... Thats a vital part of the game, getting the graphics etc... right.

M

Macaws

Can I be the distribution Manager?
(I will make the installation files)

That's a good idea...
Just send the game files to me in a bunch of RARs using rapidshare, and I'll but them into an installer.
We should also make a bunch of games,
But how to make it MMORPG? Don't you have to have a dedicated server? And who would make the website?
Not many hosts allow 4 gig files to be downloaded thousands of times...
By the way, I have the FULL version of Smart Install Maker.
And it's not pirated! That's an $80 program.

Will require lots of planning, but I think we can do it.

JKnife

Reaction score
For the server why reinvent the wheel? There is a generic MMORPG server out there that is OSS called mangos(can be found on SF). You need a team to write the client, another to make the worlds, and finally one to write the game content which is stored in SQL databases.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Well I guess you will have to try it later :) maybe just make a basic game for now...

Last edited:
T

themasterrocker

Yeah, and i'm making the site as i am head of HTML. I shall do something like publish a add on domain :p

vol7ron

Reaction score
Here I'll tell you something you need, that I bet you no one here has - including the C programmers.

You need someone with experience in Direct3D/DirectX/OpenGL. You'll need to make this with multiple languages. You can get DirectX development kits to learn from MSDN, but it's going to be trouble for you all, trust me.

You'll also want someone who can make 3D models, using 3D Studio Max, or ZBrush. Though I'd help you out with this information. Good luck.

mattura

Reaction score
Well, good luck, I'd really recommend you start with a small, playable game, and then add the graphics and stuff. Or it will never get finished.

[shudders remembering opengl experience...]

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Hellsheep: I suggest that you work alone on a few games first... Then after you have proven yourself as a good Game Developer, look of other Game Developers who would join your cause...

DO NOT RUN BEFORE YOU LEARN TO MOVE YOUR LEGS...

You should forget this idea and start working alone first... before you hurt yourself...

Please step back and look at this plan of yours... It takes professional developers years to make qualify games... Your bound to hurt yourself if you don't reconsider this...

Or you can just be an Arrogant fool who thinks he can do anything...

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah. like andrew gower *shudders*

he made a stupid game. and now he has a million DOLLAR stupid game. lol

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have been working on solo games lately, taking in all your suggestions as consideration, i have also started working with 3D graphics. I am still a newbie, but i am progressing. Mangos i don't really like personally, it's too.....much of a reminder of WoW private servers...i don't want to be like that, i'd rather code something ourselves when we have the knowledge.

T

themasterrocker

Fair enough, you do know our site has gone down hellsheep? lol, because it wasn't linked to an account, when it got linked to someones account they didn't log on for like 3 weeks.

ezdookie

Reaction score
Hi :) .. You will need a lot of people.. I am a C programmer and I am currently learning to DirectX programming, call me if you got designers :)

Sorry if my english was bad.. I am from Perú.. Thanks

ezdookie@gmail.com

T

themasterrocker

No, that was good english... I'm adding you on msn for when we do a total unpause of this although we have left our 3D modellers and graphics(as in pictures) people going we've told them about the fall back of mine and hellsheeps year 11 GCSE's because me and him stay in alot of contact through msn

M

Macaws

Do we have a domain?
If not, Register with 1and1.
I am using 1and1 on my site.
Edit:
FIX:
Ok, you do have a domain. And the site is not working.
You should also get a .com and .net domain.

Last edited by a moderator: