• GIMP

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Photoshop

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters

shadowdragon

Reaction score
Which one is better GIMP or Photoshop?

I prefer Gimp I always make pics with Gimp.

-----Shadow dragon

Attachments

• Blue meteor.png
    Blue meteor.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 413
  • Neon backround.png
    Neon backround.png
    318.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Yellow meteor flames.png
    Yellow meteor flames.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
I like Photoshop more.
It seems more professional, with more options and tools to choose from.
Plus many graphics designers use Photoshop, especially in companies, so that's a plus.

shadowdragon

Reaction score
I have used photoshop at school but if I tried to put it on my computer it would probably die it is like 6 or 7 years old.
But I would have to agree photoshop does look a lot more professional it is a lot easier to use too.
-----Shadow Dragon

SGLord

Reaction score
I would say that from my personal experience, GIMP is a better choice, not only because it doesn not have a hefty price tag. As far as I can tell, GIMP offers an incredibly wide range of tools that the average and probably even the advanced graphic designer could ever need. Of course, if you go pro, then PS4 is the way to go, but for people like me that just piddle around with it, the cost alone proves GIMP superior to its commercial rival.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Gimp in my experience is even more powerful than photoshop. Photoshop is easier to use, but Gimp has more tools. The problem is just that the help files are so poor on gimp that I don't believe that there is a single person alive who knows how to use all the features on Gimp. But if there were someone who did, I think that he could EASILY make much better stuff than anyone ever could do on photoshop.

Besides all that, Gimp is free. That alone, is a HUGE advantage.

motorbikeking1

Reaction score
I use a bit of both, Photoshop is good if i just need to edit an image i already have, however gimp is good for creating new images. I prefer to use photoshop as ive been using it longer. The looks don't really bother me, its just the usability, and i dont spend much time using either of them so im unlikely to learn how to use gimp properly anytime soon, therefore id have to choose photoshop as my preferred program.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would go for PhotoShop CS4 for these reason:

1. Everything I make in GIMP suchs as I find it hard to use freeware programs (Yeah I do)

2. PhotoShop has more features I belive

3. In design class (webdesign and 3D animation) PhotoShop knowledge is a requirement. You should have seen when more than half my class failed on photoshop as they did not know how to use it. Everyone was around me and another girl in class as we had used it. Our teacher don't allow us to use GIMP.

4. Most big design companies use photoshop as they software.

malcomhfc1875

Reaction score
the hefty price tag dosnt affect alot of people. Alot of people never payed for it lol. I prefare gimp anyways. Pus i got photoshop 7 lol - bit old rofl :p

burner35

Reaction score
Photoshop CS4, offers more flexibility and options. I've tried Gimp and still use it, but if I prefer to do advanced graphics, I use CS4. Gimp I would only use for basic logos and so on.

whitebus

Reaction score
i dont do a lot of picture editing, but tried them both and found ps quicker to learn. although i'm sure if you did a lot of it and wanted to take the time to figure out all the features i can sure appreciate gimp.

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
i am not a good graphics designer :p just a newbie but i must say that both Gimp and Photoshop are good programs, i've voted for Pfotoshop for its flexibility and other advanced features. I use it mainly for photo editing, which is fun with Photoshop!

Last edited:

Criptex

Reaction score
I personally prefer photoshop CS4, it is more professional, I like the extract tool, and there are more tutorials online so, you can improve your skills quicker.
By the way, if you use photoshop, this link will like you and help you Alooooot!!! check it out! http://www.jnxcs.com/

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
when i am looking for a program a lot of things affect me.
1) design of the program
2) functionality
3) user-friendly

when i was looking at GIMP, all of the palettes were separated, and there wasn't really a background window, looked somewhat like a mac
Adobe came along with CS3 and the palettes moved with the window, and were joined together

also in CS4 Adobe came out with more functions, ie the transform perspective

gali98

Reaction score
Gimp! I did my whole website with it. But it's not really good until you run it on linux. The interface is much better and resembles photoshop a bit more. Once you get used to it, it's just another tool. Really when it comes down to it, it's the user that the content depends on. Plus, I don't know about you, but I don't have the hundreds to shell out for a piece of software.
Kory

WyrGecko

Reaction score
It depends on how you want to compare the two. If it's just a general "best," then it seems like PS would win pretty fast due to the more friendly learning curve, far better documentation, and more manpower behind it, though the manpower bit could be hard to accurately gauge. Hobbyists are likely more enthusiastic than employees.

Parsa44

Reaction score
I prefer photoshop but i guess gimp is good too! Especially since it is free.

JKoltner

Reaction score
3. In design class (webdesign and 3D animation) PhotoShop knowledge is a requirement. You should have seen when more than half my class failed on photoshop as they did not know how to use it. Everyone was around me and another girl in class as we had used it. Our teacher don't allow us to use GIMP.

Wow, so much for educators encouraging people to think freely and make up their own minds as to the best tools for the job, eh? What a poor educator.

I agree with most of the other people here that, yeah, Photoshop is easier to use, ultimately more powerful (for most people), and of course much more of an industry standard -- anyone who's going to end up employed as a professor designer clearly ought to have Photoshop experience, even if they prefer GIMP, since many otherwise-good employers have their HR departments immediately dump any resumes that don't have the "right" keywords on them.

That being said, for the vast majority of people, I believe the GIMP does work just as well as Photoshop -- for all the power that Photoshop has, the hard truth of the matter is that even "professional" users often only use a fraction of its power... and that amount of power is well less than what GIMP gives you. (I feel similarly about OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office... at least for word processing and spreadsheets... while, strictly speaking, Word and Excel are more powerful than Write and Calc, I think it's something like less than 1 in 10 Word/Excel users even use a macro much less start using VBA or access Word/Excel as a COM component, etc. I sorely wish that schools would make OpenOffice their defacto standard rather than MSO!)

---Joel