Global Warming

nigel91

Reaction score
I too think that it is mostly a natural occurance. Many people are doing their part in trying to prevent Global Warming occuring, but I don't think it will make much of a difference. I recycle and that, but not to a massive extent.
But I'm not too worried about it.
*gets flooded*

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I said in some posts over this that I thought that global warming and things are natural but we causing it to happen faster than it should happen. Maybe it can be so?

intheclutch

Reaction score
I think the main thing is what we'll do about global warming. We can all argue till we die whether it's us causing it or not. However, if it is us, and we wait to get proof; it would be too late for us to act. If we're wrong, what is the worst thing that can happen? We cause global cooling? Either way, we should decrease our greenhouse gas output.
If we're wrong, think about the millions or billions of dollars that could have gone to other worthy causes, fighting AIDS in Africa, poverty and hunger around the world, and so on.

By the way, according to the IPCC, it already is too late, but they don't want us to think that way.
Edit:
I think it's more of a marketing trick of the big corpotations in order to sell more "ecological" friendly products and thus make more sales...

Just my $0.02 :D
You mean like the hydrogen cars? The ones that the only emissions are water? Never mind that water is the most potent of all green house gases. If you thought temps went up with CO2 emissions, wait till you see H2O emissions go up!;)

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Global warming exists, but it is not caused by man-made emissions. Humans, factories, and cars all produce up to 6-8 gigatons of carbon dioxide; decaying plants, heated oceans, and other natural occurring events release 160 gigatons of carbon dioxide. I suggest that everyone become informed about global warming by watching "The Great Global Warming Swindle" which aired on the BBC several months ago.

Discovery has done research and found out that temperatures on Mars are steadily rising too; they believe that this is one of the sun's phases in which hotter cosmic gases are released.

Regardless of this problem, the end result is pretty nice; with new eco-friendly alternatives for energy the world is bound to be less polluted (hopefully) which is better for everyone in general.

arsonistx

Reaction score
I believe global warming is a natural thing, but us humans are contributing to it extremely. It is obvious that it is happening, winters are colder than usual, and summers are hot as can be. I highly doubt many people care or even think about it that much, and there is nothing we can do to stop it really, because most everybody will just ignore the offer to help out.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Global warming exists, but it is not caused by man-made emissions. Humans, factories, and cars all produce up to 6-8 gigatons of carbon dioxide; decaying plants, heated oceans, and other natural occurring events release 160 gigatons of carbon dioxide. I suggest that everyone become informed about global warming by watching "The Great Global Warming Swindle" which aired on the BBC several months ago.

Discovery has done research and found out that temperatures on Mars are steadily rising too; they believe that this is one of the sun's phases in which hotter cosmic gases are released.

Regardless of this problem, the end result is pretty nice; with new eco-friendly alternatives for energy the world is bound to be less polluted (hopefully) which is better for everyone in general.

But what if: The plants are making oxygen from carbondioxid. What if they only can do 160 gigatons of carbondioxid to oxygen at a time? Then 6 - 8 gigaton carbondioxid goes into the atmosphere.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
But what if: The plants are making oxygen from carbondioxide. What if they only can do 160 gigatons of carbondioxide to oxygen at a time? Then 6 - 8 gigaton carbondioxide goes into the atmosphere.

And then of course, humans have deforested large areas of land, reducing the global plantlife's ability to counteract the release of CO2

Anyway, changing to other sources of fuel (other than fossil fuels) makes economic sense in the long run. Fossil fuel sources will eventually run out, and unless we change, we're kinda stuck. Better to start now, than 50 years when we realise "oh crap, our oil reserves are almost depleted!"

The whole, preserving our planet as we know it and keeping some places from drying out, and others from drowning thing, is just an added benefit :biggrin:

Cowen

Reaction score
I agree with the O.P. global warming is real and we are causing it.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
makes economic sense in the long run

But why is everything about money!!! Like everyone choose money before life! Scenario: One man asks you if you want 1 million dollar or your life and you choose the money! You can actually do things without paying. Just ppl have to realize it first. The money everyone is paying for fosil fuel and cars could go to research for some better fuel and make it cheap too.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
There is plenty of government funding going to alternative fuels; the US economy is oil based, any sudden change would easily cause a crash in a sense. It is more economically beneficial to research alternatives as that allows for more jobs, etc., but this cannot occur drastically; we must essentially be weaned off fossil fuels. People need to face the fact that humans are NOT contributing as largely as exaggerated; 6-8 gigatons is minute compared to the 160 gigatons produced naturally. Additionally, rising temperatures are making the oceans release more CO2 (back to chem 101: solubility of gases in liquids decreases as temperature increases).

Humans aren't to blame; it's the sun's cycles of solar flares. However, the end result of this global warming hype will be beneficial as we will have invested in research for alternative fuels and opted in for less polluting in general.

brianfast

Reaction score
Any country that can completely free itself from oil will be a superpower because of it.

Jigzo

Reaction score
I think we are causing too much + all the worlds oil is going to run out in 30-40 years so then it will be even worse!

reichiru

Reaction score
Global warming is inevitable, along with our usage of natural resources. They're bound to run out some day with the rate humans are using it up. But it's sad that people can't think of more energy-efficient ways that's good for the environment, perhaps we can live longer if they are. I saw an article in the newspaper one time that the world's gonna run out of resources and start dying off in another 60 years or so.

Dazz

Reaction score
IMO

Global warming is inevitable, there is nothing you or me or anyone else can do about it. The planet works on cycles of ice ages and we are just at the end of one - that is why the ice caps are melting then we'll flood, the planet will get warmer and then colder again and we will start the next ice age. The only thing we can do (as a species) is hold on for the ride and try to survive.

Remember fellas - This is just my opinion and is no way that of the hundreds of scientists and millions of pounds spent proving this theory LOL:biggrin:

btfog

Reaction score
I think that it's part of a natural cycle from the last ice age, and there's no way of assessing whether any species is having any effect, based on there being not much to compare it to!
i too belive it's a natural cycle i see no reason that we should be woring over it now

cointoss

Reaction score
Possibly the world is to face global warming, possibly it is not. Possibly we are the cause, possibly we are not. Did the dinosaurs cause the ice age? I doubt it. Yes, the USA consumes a lot, but we are a small population compared to the rest of the world. Everyone consumes. No one can be blamed. It is the natural course of life to consume. Food, oxygen, water, resources. Before you strain yourself proving you are right and everyone else is wrong, might I point out that few years ago we were facing global cooling! Many magazines reported on it. Like I said, I cannot say either way, but I have not been convinced. I firmly believe we live in a world that experiences constant climate change.

mastermike

Reaction score
You think we can stop a climate change? :nuts:

Thats like saying, if we all run in the same direction at the same time we can stop the earth from turning.

Obviously thats a load of bull.

are you kidding me, of course we can stop global warming. if we were the ones who started the problem then we can stop the problem. global warming does exist and it is us humans who did it. the CO2 concentration is way higher than it has veen ever before. we need to stop global warming because estimates say that by the year 2050 florida could be under water

intheclutch

Reaction score
the CO2 concentration is way higher than it has veen ever before.
That's actually not true...and it's not necessarily CO2 that causes temperatures to go up...in fact, temperature rises have historically happened before CO2 rises.

Sohail

Reaction score
It is happening and we are causing it. Has anyone the the movie 'an inconvinient truth'?

cointoss

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen "An Inconvenient Truth." My question is, why are we worried about global warming when we should be trying to stay awake? Or haven't you seen "Nightmare on Elm Street."

Scientific studies prove the world has cooled and warmed over it's lifetime. I am not saying we are not causing the warming, but it is unlikely that we've caused it in the past, as we were not yet present on the Earth. The press (newspapers, news, magazines, etc.) as well as novels and movies are driven by the need to make money. Global warming is the hot topic of the day so everyone is talking about it. That doesn't make it true. I doubt anyone with the limited intelligence of a human can claim to understand the world around us, much less claim that one thing or another could increase the temperature of the Earth. Again, I'm not saying it is not true, I'm saying everyone's opinion is valid on the subject since each of us knows nothing about it. I'm just saying, when Newsweek or Time prints an article about global warming you shouldn't consider the situation dire and jump out of a window to save your self. BOTH magazines reported on global cooling, and as I'm sure you are aware, none of us froze to death. I cannot believe no one remembers when the world was standing on its head because we were all going to freeze to death... Surely you remember the world was going to end at 11:59 on 1999 right? People stockpiled food and water... Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing to be prepared. I'm saying it is of little use to us to worry about our demise to the point that we can no longer enjoy the time we have.