How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

• Total voters

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm still running 1gb, and it's faster than any windows computer I know :)

I love Linux :)

~Callum

maxmoda

Reaction score
i have 1gb of memory but i need much more
i work whit graphic design and my pc cannt alone with thta.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm still running 1gb, and it's faster than any windows computer I know :)

I love Linux :)

~Callum
Yes. My old 1 GB of ddr ram was faster with openSuse than my current 4 GB of ddr3 is with windows vista. Quite amazing! :)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep, I'm still on 1gb as well :)

I did some tests yesterday:

Computer 1:
512 ddr RAM
2.4GHz Pentium 4
Wired Internet
Fedora 11

Computer 2:
2gb ddr3 RAM
2.6GHz
Wired Internet
Windows Vista

Using the default software, Windows Vista took about 2 minutes to open a massive word document I have, while Fedora took about 20 seconds.

And my dad still refuses to upgrade to Linux, while complaining that windows vista is so slow.

:)

~Callum

wolflock

Reaction score
Tried to upgrade but my onboard graphics did not like it. Kept getting nvidia error.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Tried to upgrade but my onboard graphics did not like it. Kept getting nvidia error.
Which distribution did you try to upgrade too? Some, like Linux Mint have incredible driver support.
Edit:
Yep, I'm still on 1gb as well :)

I did some tests yesterday:

Computer 1:
512 ddr RAM
2.4GHz Pentium 4
Wired Internet
Fedora 11

Computer 2:
2gb ddr3 RAM
2.6GHz
Wired Internet
Windows Vista

Using the default software, Windows Vista took about 2 minutes to open a massive word document I have, while Fedora took about 20 seconds.
One of us should put this into our sigs! :D

One question, what was the processor on computer 2?

And my dad still refuses to upgrade to Linux, while complaining that windows vista is so slow.

:)

~Callum
Predictable. ;)

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea, Vista refused to tell me. I'm assuming it's decent though, it is quite a fast computer (for vista) :)

~Callum

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea, Vista refused to tell me. I'm assuming it's decent though, it is quite a fast computer (for vista) :)

~Callum

If you can't find it by right clicking Computer and going to properties, bring up the Start menu and type in dxdiag. That will give you your RAM counts. It will be labeled as "Memory"

Last edited:

techgeek1499

Reaction score
I have only 0.99GB of RAM which sucks on my Dell. I wish to have more because I run 3 virtual machines so I wish I had more....

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have only 0.99GB of RAM which sucks on my Dell. I wish to have more because I run 3 virtual machines so I wish I had more....
Wow, yeah. Even on linux, 3 virtual machines on a full OS is going to be rather taxing on the ram. ;)

You're pretty brave to do that. :D

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I got off the memory go round of Microsoft and went over to Linux.
a: It's not a memory hog, runs only what you want.
b: Way cheaper than Vista and whatever M$ is releasing soon.
c: WinXp will not last forever, already some PC makers have stopped releasing drivers for this O/S

When you have to pay the bills, doing more with less makes sense.

PS: Big fan of the new 'Puppy' linux release but for those that cannot live without fancy desktop effects check out the 'Vesta' version.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I tried to install linux on my comp, but the installer failed (could not partition) I am now stuck to vista, and I can't bring a new computer in the house.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I tried to install linux on my comp, but the installer failed (could not partition) I am now stuck to vista, and I can't bring a new computer in the house.

Linux can be a tad unfriendly to install on some computers, a Vista Installation with its hidden recovery partition is a prime example.

What I will say is don't give up, but DO make a full set of Vista recovery disks before tinkering.

Something also worth pointing out too Linux newbies is that you don't actually have to install some Linux operating systems. Popular ones like Puppy and Ubuntu will boot from CD and run inside the RAM without making changes to the HDD, unless you want to save data or a setup file with all your preferences for the next time you boot from the CD.

Of course if your PC supports booting from USB then a memory stick can be used instead of CD, Puppy only takes up a couple of hundred Mega bytes so even a typical stick has plenty of room left over.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

~Callum
Install and run ccleaner. Not only should it speed up vista a bit, it will also tell you everything you need to know about your processor, ram and graphics card.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I actually got everest from lavalys, and it tells you a heck of things about vista!

Anyway, ccleaner is a great tool. It helps you find orphan registry keys, delete unwanted files, and more.

cdgvbmu

Reaction score
2gb on my drafting machine, 1gb on my wife's photo machine, 718mb on my web-development/company laptop