Jealous See

taha116

Reaction score
well no i didnt install it is tht the only way to get that stuff?

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
alex... Tisk tisk...
Thats the most powerful thing vista has.... Just the scroll thing... and that is ony good for swiching windows and almost no one uses that feature cuz u have to click an extra button for it each time but i believe those features with linux are more live and stay.

Last time I checked, Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab had the same number of buttons.

As for multiple desktops: I don't need that. That's what my 22" monitor and second VGA port is for. :D

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Whilst X11 does allow for some nice looking effects, let's not forget that the true power of linux comes from using the command line! :)
X11 just utilizes the true power of linux in a fancy way that makes even winDos users jealous at heart. ;)
Edit:
I still haven't found a use for multiple desktops on one screen. Multiple monitors is definitely a good thing, if only for having monitor 1 displaying video, monitor 2 showing what I'm working on, and monitor 3 for stuff like MSN etc. Back in the day when I had a monstrously big desk.
No, for me, multiple desktops on a single screen is pointless, and the desktop cube is trying too hard!
Hmmm, obviously you don't do to much multitasking on your computer... Obviously, for some people, the work(or games) they do on their computer aren't advanced enough to call for more than one desktop. In this case, you may still be able to press windDos into service.

And how often do you trigger that accidentally?
Never! duh
Edit:
well no i didnt install it is tht the only way to get that stuff?

Only way I know because it's not in the ubuntu canonical archives. It's not too much harder than using the gnome-terminal.
Edit:
Last time I checked, Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab had the same number of buttons.
Who said anything about Windows+Tab. I said "A motion of the mouse!" Of course, I could change it to Alt+Tab or Windows+Tab but those aren't half as convenient.

Last edited:

tridge

Reaction score
It's not Linux, but it's awesome. Windows Mobile 6.5 (Mighty ROM 6) running on my HTC Diamond.

ppca.jpg

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit that looks better than winDos vista, but it isn't as cool as my ipod.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    137 KB · Views: 26

zen-r

Reaction score
I thought this was supposed to be a Linux GUI thread.

That looks like spam to me. :biggrin:

If it wasn't for the fact that most people here are too rule-abiding to post off-topic spam, this thread would by now have been inundated with Windows GUI snapshots which are every bit as good as Linux's.

Who cares what the desktop looks like, anyway?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I thought this was supposed to be a Linux GUI thread.

That looks like spam to me.

If it wasn't for the fact that most people here are too rule-abiding to post off-topic spam, this thread would by now have been inundated with Windows GUI snapshots which are every bit as good as Linux's.
Nope, just had to show that winDos can't even beat macs in terms of looks.

Who cares what the desktop looks like, anyway?
I care. The way your desktop acts can improve productivity!

zen-r

Reaction score
"Acts" is not the same as "looks".

So far you have been emphasising pretty desktop backgrounds (which Windows managed long before Linux was around) & weird 3D window effects, which no-one has any real use for. :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"Acts" is not the same as "looks".

So far you have been emphasising pretty desktop backgrounds (which Windows managed long before Linux was around) & weird 3D window effects, which no-one has any real use for. :biggrin:
No, I have not been emphasizing pretty desktop backgrounds. I'm glad you like my wallpaper anyways.
And yes I have been emphasizing weird 3D effects, because they help me and many others make our computers more productive (it's a breeze flipping from project to project) and they allow you to sit back and just stare at your computer screen in sheer satisfaction because you know that you have something that most people are too scared to recreate on their own pc! :hahano:

zen-r

Reaction score
I guess you haven't seen all the GUI enhancers for Windows then, which were available years ago?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I sure have seen those things. I tried one really popular one once and it loaded my computer up with spyware and malware. That doesn't sound very fun now does it?

One thing that I can always be sure of with linux is that as long as my software all comes from the cannonical repositories, I'll never get a single virus,trojan,malware or any other infection on my computer. *feels really secure right about now*

zen-r

Reaction score
That's what they used to say about Macs.

As soon as Macs became more popular, they started getting more malware written for them as well, just like Windows.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It'll last forever because of the way linux is designed. Any malware needs the root password to be able to do harm. Since the normal user account doesn't have access to the root password, malware can never harm whole system, only individual accounts which can be backed up, deleted, and recreated from another account in the worst scenario.

zen-r

Reaction score
Yeah, like that will be un-hackable! :hahano:

I guess it never occurred to you that Windows can be backed up as well. Lol.

zen-r

Reaction score
You've posted that link many times before.

Obviously you believe everything you read?

Then why do you ignore the posts in it which say that Linux isn't unhackable?! :biggrin:

And, as I already stated, it is the future you need to worry about - when Linux becomes more popular & is then worth the malware writers spending their time on it.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Zenr please! Leave room for someone else to pie ichwar!

Although I have never tried Linux before, I have not been ignorant. However, I have heard it is hell trying to find drivers for Linux, which is why I have never used it.

Also ichwar, I believe you are ignorant of Windows, which can do pretty much everything Linux can. It has the right amount of command line, and GUI. Most importantly, everyone uses it. So while you are searching for hours for a Linux compatible version of the software I am using, or struggling with WINE, I am gaming until my eyes burn ;)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Zenr please! Leave room for someone else to pie ichwar!

Although I have never tried Linux before, I have not been ignorant. However, I have heard it is hell trying to find drivers for Linux, which is why I have never used it.

Also ichwar, I believe you are ignorant of Windows, which can do pretty much everything Linux can. It has the right amount of command line, and GUI. Most importantly, everyone uses it. So while you are searching for hours for a Linux compatible version of the software I am using, or struggling with WINE, I am gaming until my eyes burn ;)
Linux is nowhere near being short of missing drivers. Every thing I've ever tried to do on linux I've accomplished WITHOUT spending hours hunting for drivers. Maybe I haven't made this this clear enough: The only important thing that Windows can do that Linux can't is BSOD every 10 minutes.:thefinger

zen-r

Reaction score
If you could only get your copy of Windows to run by BSOD'ing every 10 mins, perhaps you're better off with the more basic, idiot-friendly Linux.

I've never had that problem with Windows myself! :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, you have a point. Some people don't really use their computers for anything so it's not a problem if it BSODs every time they boot it up. Oh well, that's not my problem. :D